When is a troop not a troop?

tiredmommy

When Duckie goes Juliette for scouting. :hammer:

A little history:
Duckie became a Daisy girl scout the Monday after her 5th birthday by joining a Daisy troop of kindergartners (she was in pre-k). We joined mid-year to help her with socialization issues and it helped greatly. Those older girls went on to become Brownies the following school year and Duckie....

...joined a start-up Daisy troop for her kindergarten year. She stayed with this troop through 2nd grade as a Brownie. She started losing interest and really needed to get away from her frenemy A so she switched to...

...the monster troop of 22 kids and three scouting levels for 3rd grade and her final year as a Brownie. It was fun and a great experience but ultimately very chaotic and difficult to plan for the three levels. So Duckie and the other two remaining 1st year Juniors are....

...leaving. Becoming Juliettes, which are Girl Scouts without a troop under the supervision of a registered adult volunteer (me). It looks like two of Duckies friends that have wanted to participate in scouts in the past will be joining us. I won't be surprised if one other friend joins us. That would be a non-troop of 6 girls meeting at my house, working on badges & journeys and planning for their bronze award.

Wish me luck! :rofl:

mavh2005

Oh I do not envy you one bit. difficult child is a 2nd year junior. I volunteer with the Brownie and Daisy troops that meet at the same time as the Junior troop. We learned when difficult child was a Daisy me being in charge of her in that type of activity was not fun for either of us. I just did a tryit with the Brownie troop last night. I am still recovering from that.

Let me know how the bronze award planning goes! difficult child wants to earn that. She finished her Junior Aide award last year.

tiredmommy

We've had the same problem with Duckie... but usually when in a larger, noisy setting. These girls have been hand-picked because she has a strong relationship with each. And, by not being a troop, I don't have to open the door for more girls to come in. Intimate and calm tends to be best for Duckie.

SRL

...leaving. Becoming Juliettes, which are Girl Scouts without a troop under the supervision of a registered adult volunteer (me). It looks like two of Duckies friends that have wanted to participate in scouts in the past will be joining us. I won't be surprised if one other friend joins us. That would be a non-troop of 6 girls meeting at my house, working on badges & journeys and planning for their bronze award.

Wish me luck! :rofl:

Just thought that this would be a good time to mention that when I took on Chess Club in order to keep it going for my kiddo, I expected 12 kids and 53 showed up.

KTMom91

That's pretty cool...I enjoyed Scouting but HATED the scout leader...what a witch she was...I was in fifth grade when I quit and I still remember how awful that woman was.

tiredmommy

Duckie has been lucky... her various leaders have all been kind and easy-going. Of course... that may change once I'm in charge! Bwaa Ha Ha!:witchy:

Lothlorien

Our troop is capped at 12 girls. Our leader won't take anymore. Good luck with the Juliettes. If you can cap it at what # of girls you can deal with, then good for you and go for it.