When it's NOT really a sensory issue -

Star*

call 911........call 911
So DF says today "Sure honey I'll ride with you to pick up your prescriptions." I'm thinking to myself how nice.

A few days before I told him we could make one fell-swoop and run all our errands at one end of town, save gas and get all our people seeing out of the way for the month. Agreed? Agreed! The mall we needed to go to has the Sears he needed to return an item to and was a stones throw from my doctors office. I told him this twice. I even told him where to turn to get onto the freeway, but did he turn there? No. He turned down the road and said "Ohhhhh I thought we were going to the other mall."

Now why we would back track, and drive 20 miles out of our way to 'save gas' is beyond me, but I've learned just to go with it. So I did. I enjoyed the scenery and as we are driving I smell something. I mentioned that I think the car is burning. He scoffs. I mentioned three miles later that the car is really burining. He scoffs again and says I really should do something about that nose - (remember the nose that has found two dead moles only a day old?) So we continue driving.

Now we're about one mile from the mall and I see smoke. I mention that I really think we should pull over and he gets quite terse and says "I think I would know if the car was on fire Star." then does that man thing where he's so satisfied with his answer he's almost rolling his eyes but not quite. As we pull off the ramp he says "Wow -look at the haze, it's all the way to the top of the trees." and I said "It just looks that way because it's INSIDE.THE.CAR." and then I said nothing. We're almost to Sears, and turn into the lot and WHAM.

Well surprise of surprises - the steering gives out, and he can hardly turn the wheel, and those manly "WTH?" start. I'm just sitting there looking at my phone and I offer (of course) no womanly explanation - I've given my opinion three times to deaf ears. He pulls over, stops suddely, jumps out and pops the hood and yells "OH (can't type that here)." and then - you would think holding bits and pieces of a mangled serpentine belt literally too hot to hold he would say SOMETHING like "Honey you were right, or Wow I should really pay attention when you say the car is on fire, or That nose of yours sure is a good sniffer." But did he say any of those things? Noooooope. He shut the hood and looked at me and said "What?"

I just chuckled and said "WOW ----look at the haze on top of those trees." and smirked. I swear to you all he didn't get it - he actually looked at the trees.
ROFLM mr. goodwrench off.

Mom2oddson

Oh, there must be something in the air. Just got off the phone with husband. I told him what was going on with easy child and asked his opinion.......you could hear crickets chirping. So, I started the Whaa,whaa, whaaa from Charlie Brown and I got the "I'm listening to you!" Of course it took a dozen whaa, whaa's to get a response at all. Men....

Did you get a replacement belt and all your running done?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Oh wait, your df stopped when the steering got hard. My husband would have kept right on trucking, because, you know, if you ignore things, they aren't real.

So no, they're different men. My bad.

I'm related, too! I love it when my husband responds to a question with some random answer that is totally unrelated to the question because he's not even listening! He just throws any old answer out. Only men do that! I swear I do feel like that Charlie Brown wah wah wah teacher sometimes.

KTMom91

Oh, yeah...mine figured out my car really was overheating when the steam fogged up the windshield...sigh...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

OMG! Our men are related!! :rofl:

About 17 yrs ago we have this nice chevy mini station wagon. I really loved this car, mind you. We bought it used but previous owners took great care of it.

We had a habit of taking the kids to the mall on sundays to window shop for something to do in the winter. So we head out. Now traffic around the Dayton mall on a sunday afternoon is awfully heavy. As we idle at a light I tell husband, I smell something burning. He tells me it's probably the semi next to us. We go through a couple of lights and I tell him, no something really IS burning. (I know what burnt electrical wires smell like) He tells me it's my imagination. We pull into the mall parking lot.........

We never saw smoke. As next I screamed The ****** Car Is On Fire! As suddenly the glove compartment burst into flames!

husband does not dare question me about what is wrong with a car anymore. This is only one of about several hundred incidents where I was right and he didn't have a clue. Maybe I shouldn't mention the time when Travis was 2 husband got the brilliant idea to clean the distributor cap on my car. (or carborator.....don't recall which, the one with all the wires) He cussed for like an hour because he couldn't get the wires attached right. Travis kept saying No Daddy it goes there.......Wrong one Daddy. (Travis had been watching the whole time) Finally when he was ready to give up I told him to let Travis tell him where to put the wires, I mean at that point it couldn't hurt, right? Took Travis less than 5 mins and the car started right up. :rofl:

husband is not allowed to "repair" cars. *snort*

tawnya

Yep, same here.

I sometimes think that a hampster wheel would be better on the car than the alternator that will be "fixed".

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
When we were first married, I was in awe of husband and his dad. husband had been valedictorian at his high school, a National Merit Scholar, and Freshman of the Year at university. His father was a chemist, head of quality control at a big pharma. They always discussed world events. I was in heaven living with brainy people. My life was complete.

husband and my father in law, being extremely frugal men, decided to change the fuel line on our Fiat. Did you hear that? We bought a FIAT! Brilliant move #1: buying a FIAT! I trusted that these extremely intellectual brainiacs knew what they were doing, because, of course, they were intellectuals and I was just a woman.

I went to the bathroom, when I was done I looked out the window and saw the engine burning. The brainiacs were just standing there, shaking their intellectual heads. No one was doing anything to keep the fire from spreading to the garage and then to the house. I ran to mother in law (just a woman) and she grabbed the fire extinguisher. By then, husband had tried to smother the flames with the expensive electric blanket which had been a gift to us because he was a poor medical student.

I kept on thinking of Mae West saying "what a maroon!".

DammitJanet

Ok....Im sitting here thinking about Tony....Thank god he's a country boy!

However, he does do the whaa whaa whaa thing to me when I am trying to talk to him. Part of it is that he is deaf in one ear. Other part is that he just plain ignores me half the time. I can tell when he is ignoring me and I will say these outrageous things in a perfectly normal tone of voice like I am having an every day conversation. I have told him that the King of France has invited me to dinner and a sex party and I am fixing to empty the bank accounts, sell everything he owns, and leave him for the next six months to have sex with a harem of 65 women. He just nods his head and tells me thats nice dear, have fun and do you need any money? LMAO.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well here's the not-so ironic part. DF can fix just about anything. But years of being on pain killers for his back have taken their toll, and we both know this, AND we broke down right and I mean RIGHT next to the Sears mechanic shop. I did have a spare serpentine belt in the car so that was a bonus, but I don't typically carry idler pullys. The bearings have been going, and no one - not even my ace mechanic could really identify the squeel. We've had it in the shop - they drove it and didn't charge me - just said "Hate to say it but this is one of those mystery noises - drive it until it breaks." Well I just love those kinds of agreeing men nods because you KNOW who will be driving it when it goes. Fortunately for me I've had this car for 16 years and I know her every sound and I knew months ago something was wrong - I thought slave cylinder or possibly master cylinder on the clutch. I'm not totally mechanically inclined - but with help I do okay. So when the noises started I knew it was something near the water pump - but couldn't put a finger on it. I don't feel too bad since the mechanic couldn't even figure it out.

Anyway - we did manage to find someone to run us home, we got some tools and when we started DF's van? It wouldn't start - OMG too much. lol. Got that running, got to the parts store, got some parts, got to the mall, just for grins asked how much Sears wanted to change the belt -$50.00 (ARE YOU SERIOUS?) okay - so back out to the car. And changed out the pully and belt ourselves. Got it home and now DF is on his way to get a new belt, because I think the one I had is a very old belt off my car from years ago. (dry rot I believe) No biggie, it got us home, but the van is down again - lol. And the stolen SUV is still here - but it won't start either. I haven't gotten the report back from SLED so I'm not sure what's going on with that debacle either. Maybe if they'll let me title it? I can sell it, and go get a car? One that starts and won't set itself on fire. ROFLM tire guage off.

Janet - if you do go to France? Have a lovely time. Take protection. :abouttime:

4timmy

Coming in late on this one Star.... but is it really possible that we could all be married to the same man? I saw something on TV yesterday that (in a nut shell) talked about how men need to feel ..... well.... manly! They fantasize about going into battle to save their lady. Do you suppose they really tune us out?

H

HaoZi

Like dogs that chase cars? All that time devoted to the chase with nary a thought of what to do if they catch one.

Star*

call 911........call 911
4timmy - I have no problem with everyone doing what they are supposed to be doing in the script of life. Mostly because for years I had to be the one that wore the perfume, threw my hair down out of the tower AND slayed the dragon. However once I met DF? It was very enjoyable for me to just have the knowledge that should I need to? I could kill that dragon with a .99 nail file and not - track it, talk to my friends about it, hunt it, buy $39k worth of high tech equipment to kill it, find the trail, trap it, kill it, skin it - and then throw it on the back of my Ford truck rack and display it at the Bob Evans parking lot while having a cup of coffee.

:notalone: