When, oh WHEN do their FEET stop growing?!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
difficult child 2 turned 15 on 12/9. He's still a pup, and will likely grow a few more inches before he's done. But would someone please, PLEASE tell me when the FEET STOP GROWING?! I took him for new shoes last week and he's now in a THIRTEEEEEEEEEEEN!!!!! :faint:

InsaneCdn

Didn't we just go through this with somebody else??
If I had the answer... but I don't.

difficult child's feet have really slowed down growing - since about the time of starting his mega-mega growth spurt. We joke that his body is catching up with his feet. Yah, size 13 - I hear ya. Now try and find those in black wingtips (for band uniform...)

Feet are supposed to slow down first.

Last edited:

buddy

HOLY COW! Our boys are the same age (bd beginning of jan) and I have been so shocked about the changes in size of everything... but he is now 5 ft 1 3/4 inches and 113 lbs... I had his feet measured when we were at MOA and got him new shoes... we got 8 but they are too big... his current size 6,5 still fit so I thought better to get bigger since he is growing I didn't check and he has quite a ways to go to get there but I suspect that is the next huge change, so far I have had to buy several new pair of pants. LOL size 13 on Q would look so funny... I guess that is normal though. their noses and feet seem out of proportion for a while. Q's nose does seem bigger all of a sudden but his face has not grown that much, it sure has changed shape though. It is all fascinating...and expensive! ....

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Yeah, he's 15 and 6' tall, about 175 pounds. The height is not a big deal -- no problem finding clothes, but I really hope this is it for the shoe size, because they get REALLY hard to find beyond size 13, not to mention EXPENSIVE.:money:

witzend

M was this way too. That's about when his feet stopped growing, I think. I was able to find decent shoes at a reasonable price for him at Nordstrom Rack when they have sales, and we have a Nike Outlet and an Adidas Outlet here that I can get good prices at. He is really hard on shoes.

Steely

Yep, when Matt reached a size 15 I started praying....fortunately he stopped cuz 14-15 are hard enough to find- but after that you are into special order shoes.

BusynMember

How about a fifteen year old girl with size 12 shoes? She is adopted and her paternal grandmother had size 13 feet. I really hope Jumper is done with foot growth because we already have to special order a lot of her shoes.

Jumper is about 5'10.

trinityroyal

Gcv, when you find out would you please let me know so I can plan ahead?

difficult child's feet (finally) seem to have stopped growing. He has tiny little ballerina feet, so he only wears a size 12.
Little easy child, on the other hand, just started wearing men's size 8. Yes, this is the child who just turned 10 a month ago.
Tyrannosaur wears a children's size 9. He's 2.

I have a funny feeling that specially ordered shoes are in my future as well...

slsh

member since 1999
MWM- you and I have to have a private discussion about where you get Jumper's shoes ;) . Diva's wearing a 12 also (she'll be 14 next month), and it's almost impossible to find anything besides gym shoes (men's) for her. I feel so bad for her. None of the dept stores carry size 12 - Payless so far is the only place that has any kind of selection but even that is incredibly limited. She has 8th grade graduation dance coming up in the spring and I'm simply *dreading* trying to find her dress shoes. I really hope she's done growing her feet, though she is still getting taller - is taller than my 5'8" now.

My 2 younger boys finally stopped growing in their feet at size 13. thank you is 6'4" and Weeburt is 6'5". thank you hit his growth late and probably didn't stop until this past year or so. Weeburt started growing at 13 and *finally* started slowing down at about 15-1/2.

Forget college funds - we should have started a shoe and sock fund way back when, LOL.

T

TeDo

Yes Insane, we did because I remember saying that difficult child 2 is only 13 years old and already wears a size 13 (already starting to get a little tight). UGH

donna723

When my son was that age it seemed like he needed new shoes every few months and it cost me a fortune! He ended up at 6'5" and a size 14 shoe but some 13's fit him.

Have any of you checked on Zappos online? You can get almost anything from them and the prices aren't bad either.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Wow -- lots of good shoe source tips!

I think it's especially hard on girls with large feet. Or WIDE feet, like my easy child has (thanks, husband). Like some of you, I've had to buy her men's athletic shoes for daily wear. Bought her a men's 8.5 EEEE and they FIT. Can't have her wearing anything narrower otherwise she gets ingrown toenails. :( I did find a nice medium-heeled mule (shoe, Star, it's a shoe) at Nordstro Rack on clearance that's a wide, and thankfully they fit and feel good for her so that's her "formal" shoe for orchestra.

susiestar

Roll With It
Shoe sizes seem so odd to me. Mostly because now I am 4 foot 11 and I wear an 8. thank you is now in men's sizes, but not huge feet. Wiz once had his feet grow four inches longer in a single year. His shoes hurt that entire year, mostly because every month or so they were a size too small!

I don't envy you having to find shoes for your kids. Sierra Trading Post is awesome with strange size needs.

I still think Bigfoot is about 3 feet tall with size 30 shoes.

trinityroyal

Susie, shoe sizes ARE funny. I'm 5'3" and I wear size 9 or 10 shoes, depending on the brand.
(husband says that I need the big feet to keep my balance, otherwise my chest would pull me over and I'd fall on my face. But that's another story)

I don't think there's a direct correlation between height and foot length.

InsaneCdn

Shoe size is genetic... like hands, or ears, or noses.
Bigfoot begets bigfoot...

So... blame some ancestor for the genes.
In our family, bigfoot syndrome goes with tallman syndrome, and the end up pretty well proportioned, so... guess I blame some ancestor for the "giant" genes.

slsh

member since 1999
Hmmm... genetics. Wish I'd thought of that when I married my husband (size 14 foot that he is). ;) Note to self: Remind children to marry small! Can you just imagine the bigfoot grandkids some of us might end up with????:surprise:

DammitJanet

It does seem that the taller the person the bigger the feet but not always, though I dont know many really tall people with very small feet. That would look very odd indeed. Im sure there are some but can you imagine a 6'5 person on size 6 shoes? It would look like you could drive them into the ground with a hammer!

I have the smallest feet...size 8.5 wide. Before I got pregnant and gained all the weight I was a 7/7.5

Cory is a 10 and he is 6 foot tall. He has been a 10 in shoes since probably 16 or so. In fact I think all the boys feet stopped growing around then.

Jamie wears between a 13/14 depending on the brand. Billy is a 12/13 triple E. His father was a 13 EEE

Tony is a 12 wide.

Now Keyana has Tony and Jamie's feet. Her feet are wide and big. However she wasnt in a 9 at 2! She is in a 13/1 right now depending on the shoe. Hailie has smaller feet and is closer to a 9 right now.

trinityroyal

Sue, the "marry small" thing might not work out so well. I have a feeling that small is recessive.

A few cases in point:

Although I come from the Lollipop Guild, genetically speaking, I have Size 10 feet courtesy of my outsized father. The one giant in the pack.
My husband is, in his own words, a Great Lumbering Man. He married small (well, except for the feet) So far, the children are all HUGE. With HUGE FEET!

So...
one tiny wife + one giant husband = 5 gigantic children. All with big feet.

T

TeDo

difficult child 2 hasn't caught up to his 2 uncles in height yet but he has outgrown BOTH of them in shoe size (a couple years ago already). I don't know anyone in our extended family that went past an 11 (talking men here) and difficult child 2 surpassed that at 10 years old. The women in our extended family are no larger than a 9 so go figure.