Votes: 5 16.7%
  • 56 to 65

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • 65 and over

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DDD

I just saw a poll done in England asking women when they were happiest with themselves and their lives. The exact age given in that poll matches my personal best year. If I can figure out how to do this poll it will have choices including five year spans. I'm curious how it will turn out. DDD

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Right where I am right now! I would not go back for the world! (Especially not the last 30 years back.)

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Ditto. This is the best time :) Although looking back, I was tempted to choose "teens" simply because I didn't *know* any better then! LOL

InsaneCdn

Sorry, DDD... you didn't give enough options.
Happiest? I haven't ever gotten to the point that I would call myself "happy"... I'm hoping to get there some day.

donna723

I'm another one who thinks that "right now" (since I retired last year) is the best so far. I wouldn't re-live those drama-filled teenage years for anything! I had a few very good years in my early 20's, my "running around" years before I got married the first time, but that marriage wasn't good and the next several years weren't happy at all. Got married the second time and had my kids and this should have been my happiest years. But having an abusive, alcoholic husband robbed all the joy I should have been feeling when my kids were little and replaced it with anxiety, stress and fear.

But now ... I retired a year and a half ago and I've never been happier! The kids are on their own and doing well enough. Bad husband #2 is long gone, and all the stress and koi I used to put up with at work is gone now too. I do what I want, when I want to and I sleep till I wake up every morning! I haven't set my alarm clock in a year and a half! I'm not exactly rolling in money but I get by alright. My life now isn't exactly exciting now but that's fine with me. I'm still absolutely wallowing in the absence of all that stress. The only thing I would change is to be able to see my kids and the grandson more often but there's nothing I can do about that. For right now, this will do.

keista

This is a trick question, you know. Because like everyone else, I would not want to relive my past. Based on my history, now is my happiest, but how do I know the future won't be happier? Because ultimately, I'd rather be happier than I am now, just haven't achieved it yet.

InsaneCdn

Too bad the poll wasn't based on TWO values... because, it would really help to know "current age" to compare against. If you're only 30, you can't chose the rest of the options... if you're 65, you have more options... so people choosing "20s" options... who are IN their 20s, becomes the same as choosing "50s" options and being in your 50s.. (i.e. "now")

Statistics. Just another form of lies.

busywend

For sure my high school years! Had a blast and so many lifelong friends and memories! Of course there were ugly years between then and now... now is my 2nd happiest being newly married and all. But work sure does not bring me joy these days!

Lothlorien

I think I was happier a few years ago (29-37). I got married, bought a house and had kids during those years. All this craziness with Missy, family deaths, massive paycuts and such have taken their toll. Hopefully, things are on the upswing now.

svengandhi

I went with 29 - 37. Had 4 of the 5 kids then, thought I was happily married to a man I thought loved me, didn't have difficult children yet, had a great job, made a lot of money and was still thin. Who knows, maybe I'll be happy someday again but it doesn't seem like it's in the forecast.

S

Signorina

37-40, with the pinnacle just as I turned 40. On my 40th b-day we were finsncially secure, had just signed paperwork to build out dream home, were tan & relaxed from the trip of a lifetime, h threw me an amazing surprise party complete with far flung guest relatives and I had 3pcs and 2 parents. I was counting my blessings & felt confident that happiness was a choice.

5 months later it started going to h3ll in a hand basket when my dad died. Every time I think things can't possibly get worse-they do. Now I am 44 and battered & shellshocked by life. My life, my sense of self, my marriage & our finances have been shaken to the core. I can't remember optimism and we seem to live crisis to crisis. And 40 was so long ago.

Bitter? Table for 1

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I voted for the present age I am now, although I think I've been pretty happy in most of my years, even though many have been challenging. I recently heard one of my (many) therapists say, "misery is optional." I think I've always believed that, even though I didn't have that quote in mind. There is so much pain in life and yet I have the choice to let it get me down (which it does sometimes, believe me!) or somehow rise above it and find joy someplace. I make every attempt to find joy!

H

HaoZi

Early teens was my happiest so far. I wouldn't trade Kiddo for the world, but back then ignorance was bliss and my life and most of its difficulties was still ahead of me. If I last another few decades I might have a different answer.

DDD

The happiest age chosen by the British women was 33. That nails on the head my happiest time, too.
I was proud of myself for starting a new career, supporting five of us in decent style, locating a private school for GFGmom and making it doable, etc. That was my peak period of mature self confidence. It struck me as ironic that "33" was chosen by so many. Very interesting. DDD

BusynMember

My 50's have been awesome, my most peaceful and reflective and quiet years. I was quite disturbed in my 20's (borderline chaos) and into my 30's too with a lot of depression. Now I'm on good medications, settled, have a nice hub and two nice k ids at home. I have a lot of time to stop and smell the roses plus I have a part-time job so I can work yet not work too hard. I feel very blessed to have these years after the chaos of my early life. (My life actually got good about 43 when the medications kicked in and have stayed good to the present).