Where are all the fireflys?

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Okay we actually called them lightening bugs, but you know what I mean.....those bugs that "light-up" at night? I was just looking outside in the dark (and we live out in the country) and can't see one........come to think of it I can't recall the last time I saw one. Are they on strike or have they gone the way of the dodo? I guess the next thing you know I will be numbering my puzzle pieces.......

Abbey

Spork Queen
Oh my gosh...I LOVE lightening bugs! We'd spend hours collecting then releasing them as kids. (SD, not Vegas.)

I was so thrilled a few nights ago that I saw one here. It must be a good 30 years since I've seen one.

Isn't it funny how something so simple brings a smile to you face?

Abbey

SRL

We have plenty too.

Last week I woke up in the middle of the night and saw a strange green glow. Then I heard a commotion--turned out a firefly had gotten into the house and the cat had made the discovery.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Mmmm...fireflys. They make a lovely phosphorescent green splat on the windshield when you drive into a cloud of them.

These little guys need vegetation, water and a balanced ecology to live. We had five years without any fireflies at all because our county had done systemic spraying for mosquitoes.

Due to citizen complaints, the spraying was stopped around ten years ago. It took at least five years for the fireflies to make a comeback. We are in the middle of a serious drought here (second year in a row) so we have a few - but not many...

nvts

Now that you mention it (and someone else posted back to you) we've had a lot of Lightning Bugs, but I haven't seen a June bug in years!

We used to love playing with those things! I've described them to my kids and they look at me like "wow-you really didn't have video games when you were a kid". They were shocked that we played with bugs!

Beth

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I had commented to my family about this very thng not that long ago. Then all of a sudden I started seeing them again. I think they are getting more illusive. Maybe they don't like living in jars anymore. Or their ancestors told them to watch out for us.

Beth

4sumrzn

I saw quite a few last week on vacation - Pigeon Forge area, way up on a mountain....so, tons of wooded area.

I've only seen 2 around here so far :(

Steely

You know..........We used to have tons too!!!??? But now that you mention it, I have not seen any either.
But I betcha it is the spraying for mosquitoes, as someone mentioned. I know because of West Nile the city sprays all of the time - and I am sure it irradicates more than just the mosquitoes.
Sad.

Sara PA

I think it was the 4th of July that I happened to look out my back door and saw the first one of the year. I've seen a couple since.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I did actually see some on the drive home this evening. It was dusk and I wonder if the light of dusk is reflected in the bugs phosphoressence......meaning if its pitch black you can't see them, but if there is low light they would reflect that light. Not scientific, I know..... Witz, you have led a sheltered life, hours of fun just running around trying to catch them, bringing them inside and someone always loosens the lid and pretty soon you are trying to "recatch?"....They even make bugboxes for them.

F

flutterbee

Seriously. Come to my house. It must be the place to be. They're everywhere.