Where are the parents?

susiestar

Roll With It
I would be interested to hear the rest of the story - where the parents were, how did the child sneak into the facility, does he routinely kill animals? Set fires? Bedwet?

Are authorities looking into taking the child away from his parents due to lack of supervision causing child endangerment? They probably would be here.

MArg? Any perspective on this? Or further info?

TerryJ2

Oh, I just saw this. I re-posted because I saw the same article and didn't realize it was already here.
Scary stuff. I can just imagine what else he does in his life.

Most unfortunate choice for a crocodile name ... Terry. Hmpf.

I love the director's quote: "In my day he'd get a big boot up the arse," centre director Rex Neindorf told Reuters by phone.

Marguerite

I can't get much more of the story myself. I did see it in the news - again, no more info.

Here is the best link I can find so far:
http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2008/10/03/7301_ntnews.html

It's from the NT news, likely to be the best coverage. There will be more coverage in a few days when the next local Alice paper comes out (I hope).

From the link I found, the kid appears to be Anglo, not Koori. Alice Springs has a mixed population with a certain amount of racial conflict between some members of the community. At the risk of seeming racist, I thought it was likely that the kid at least was middle class because if he belonged to one of the Aboriginal itinerant groups living in the river bed, the zoo director wouldn't have been talking about suing the parents. You can't get blood out of a stone. But then - if it HAD been an Aboriginal kid, the best thing they could do would be to hand him over to the tribal elders.
THEY would administer a swift kick up the arse.

Maybe that's what they should do anyway - involve the local Aboriginal community? There's no reason why a white kid can't be held answerable to the local Aboriginal elders; after all, we hold the Aborigines responsible to white laws. The wanton destruction like this would surely be against a number of the tribal laws.

Suing the parents - I don't think it will achieve one darn thing. The parents will pay up (or not) but what will happen to the kid? Better still, I think, to educate the kid. Enrol him as a zoo volunteer (tightly supervised). There's nothing like shovelling - er, manure, in 40 C heat, to teach a lesson.
Seriously though, sometimes information and education can also involve a kid like this to the point where he has a vested interest in protecting the creatures instead of hurting them. We don't always understand zoos and the purpose they serve. We used to only see zoos as a place of idle amusement, to see freaks of nature close up that otherwise we would never see, since their usual home can be on the other side of the world.
In recent years zoos have been increasingly used as a repository for rare animals, to help them breed and build up numbers with the eventual aim of using zoo-bred numbers to repopulate areas in the wild where they have been made extinct. By learning how to save various species form extinction, we are also learning how to save humanity from extinction.

When you work in a zoo, even as a volunteer, you develop a strong sense of protection to the creatures individually and the zoo in general. Looking at what this kid did - to get into those enclosures required determination and planning. He had a plan which he carried out effectively, given he did a great deal of harm in only 35 minutes. They need to find out why and deal with the "why" and also immediately put in preventive measures (dealing with the "how").

For prevention, they need to educate the local kids as well as their parents, on how a zoo works, why a zoo works and how it is the COMMUNITY's zoo, everybody has benefits from having the zoo in their area.

If I find out more I will share it. I'm horrified. I know difficult child 1 will be too, so will his Aspie mate whose special interest is reptiles.

Marg

Marguerite

I just found a slightly better link - good old Aunty ABC (our government funded network).

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/10/02/2380197.htm

On this site there is a good audio link to the news story I heard on national radio the other day. There is much more detail in the audio link.

In stories which say "the boy was not known at the zoo", they mean he wasn't involved in any previous incidents. There has been a previous incident where Terry the croc got attacked by a group of teen thugs.

I can vouch for kids under 10 not being able to be charged - it's not just NT. When difficult child 3 was attacked last year all his attackers were under 10 years old and so no charges could be laid. However, their names are on file with the police and if they put a foot wrong once they're over 10 years old, they will less likely to just get a warning.

I'll keep you posted.

Marg