Where do go from here?!

RB

We have had so many evaluations, tests, etc and still there are unexplained issues with no resolution. We have been to Yale (don't even get me started on that one!), the Amen Clinic, LADDERS, neuropyschs, speech evaluations, neurologists, developmental peds, pyschiatrists, psychologists, not to mention all the various and sundry professionals and their evaluations thru the school. We have done social skills programs, one on one therapy, diet, medications, etc. etc.

What I/we are now looking for is anyone or anyplace doing cutting edge, dare I say even experimental diagnosis and treatment/therapies. Let's pretend at least for now that location and $$$ are not an issue (I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it!)

Anyone?

Sondar

hi RB,
I wanted you to know I read your post and I empathize 100%. Sorry I don't have any reco for "what works" 'cause we still have not found answers although our difficult child was seen by many professionals. Have you run out of psychs in your area? What about NYC, lots of resources there.

What kinds of behaviors are not resolved through your current treatment plan?

Just thinking out loud - and sending hugs.

busywend

It really does not matter the diagnosis itself. Treating the issues is the key.

What are the issues? (in order, starting with the most life impairing issue)
What treatment has been tried for those issues?

Mrs Smith

Wish there was a simple answer. To be honest with you, the thing that had the most effect on my son (and me) was development over time.

You might never get a firm diagnosis and maybe that's a good thing. Try not to panic and drive yourself crazy following every new potential treatment. The disappointment will crush you. I speak from experience here - I had the same reaction. There's no perfect solution.

I recommend techniques in The Explosive Child by Ross Greene as well as suggestions from Alan Sohn & Cathy Grayson or Michelle Garcia Winner both who work with asperger's type kids. Very practical, down to earth advice.

BusynMember

Has she ever had treatment, interventions for Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified/AS? They would be the same. My son got no firm diagnosis until he was 11, but we still did the interventions and they really helped him! There are no blood tests, so each professional is guessing his best guess. The speech delay is a big red flag for Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), so why not see if the interventions for Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) help him? We ran the gamut of diagnosis. at first too-ADHD, ADHD/ODD and bipolar. Nothing for those disorders did any good, and they were wrong diagnosis. Hang in there!

RB

Thanks for responses. Will go into more detail later - re: the interventions for Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) and Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). We have tried several over several years. He as in an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) sped room in school and that did more harm than good. He also received speech therapy from a therapist who specialized in Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) children - again no real progress, actually some regression. ABA discreet trials a true nightmare with him.

I can talk more about all issues later. Rushing now, gotta get husband to dr. for endoscopy.