Where does your support come from?

Where do you get most of your support in dealing with your difficult child(s)?

• Here, of course :)

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • Professionals (psychiatrist, therapist, etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • School staff

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Family

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Friends/Real life Support Group

• Other online group/web

• Total voters

babybear

I voted family because my sister helps me in so many ways with difficult child. On the other hand, the board showed me that I really am a good parent because other good parents are having similar problems.

So really its a tie. But my sister fixes me drinks and provides "therapeutic chocolate" so she wins :love-very:

klmno

I had to chuckle when I saw "school staff" listed as an option. I voted here because I wouldn't be able to deal with the others on the list if I hadn't found this forum.

:)

N

Nomad

husband and I have had to do this totally on our own. So, my support comes from husband and his support comes from me.

I do find it helpful when I get non judgmental/comforting words of advice from this site. It is beneficial and soothing.

SaraT

I voted here, but husband is the other support. I do get some support from professionals, but mostly here and husband.

KateM

My biggest support comes from husband and my mom. This site is a close second! At difficult child's age, it is difficult to really talk about his issues with my friends; he's an adult and I don't want to invade his privacy. Plus, my friends are all blessed with PCs and I don't think they'd "get it."

KTMom91

I voted here; hubby tries but he doesn't really understand the depths of my feelings, though he loves me and backs me in whatever I do. My mother is currently adding more to the problem than supporting what I'm trying to do for my difficult child.

dreamer

Ummmmmmmmmm.....
I used to think it was professionals, but then they became the biggest part of the problem. Sometimes it might be husband, when he is not the problem, LOL- and very often he IS the problem.
Ummmmmm....maybe uh, my bathtub, a good book and a cup of coffee? Fortifies me and helps me regroup------
I want to say "here" but, I know many here find my ways to be ....."different"
ANd my difficult child is not really currently causeing me a lot of difficulties for now.
If I have to pick one of the listed things- I think "here" would be it. Maybe becuz when I read other posts, it helps me remember our journey here and how we came to be where we are at the moment?

janebrain

I picked here, although I do get good support from family, co-workers, and others. But the best advice I have gotten has been here and it hasn't even been when I've asked but when I've read about others' experiences and the replies to them. I sure wish I would have sound this site about 6 or 7 yrs ago when I was following the stupid advice of my difficult child 1's nutty therapist!
Thanks,
Jane

F

flutterbee

I chose school staff, but that hasn't been the case until this year. difficult child is attending an online charter school and her teachers are wonderful. Her LA teacher said that out of her 66 students, only a handful are neurotypical. They are really interested in the struggles difficult child has and in trying to find ways to accommodate her. They are currently modifying her math so it's not so overwhelming for her. That is not in her IEP, by the way. They completely understand how anxiety makes her shut down and are not in complete denial over it like her prior SD. They are making themselves available for one on one instruction and we are getting a district paid tutor (although, the process for that seems to be dragging out a bit).

Wiped Out

Staff member
I chose here because you all are the best. I do also get support from a couple of friends who get what we are going through with difficult child.