Where to start?

Moved here the summer of 2006 ~ small consolidated school district and thought difficult child would do well (one class per grade and his class has 12 students). The beginning of 2nd grade (his first year here) we put a 504 plan into place that included Title 1 Reading, special accomodations in the classroom such as front row seating, a desk off to the side if he became too overstimulated, straws to chew if he became anxious, etc. In 3rd grade, we carried over the same 504 and his teacher also started doing oral math testing. She found his writing became very large and sloppy to the point of illegible when doing timed math tests. He could participate in class discussion but when it was time to put the same info on a worksheet, he just couldn't do it.

Now that he's in a PMIC, he's attending public school in a much larger school & district (4 classes per grade, 23 students per class). He does not have a 504 plan in place at all. At PT Conferences, I was asking the teacher about oral testing and she told me there was no way she could do it. In my mind, I'm thinking, "I know you're feeding me a line". So after looking at his grades, I'm even more concerned. He's gone to U of I three times for evaluation testing (IQ, educational, motor skills, etc) and their report continues to state that he's at high risk for learning disabilities because of his superior scores and below average scores ~ there's too much space between them. In the past, he's had problems but they weren't so spread out.

For example, in Math (several grades under one subject):
A in Numbers & Operations
A in Algebra Concepts
A in Probability and Data Analysis

ND in Problem Solving (which deals with- reading comprehension)
ND in Addition Facts
ND in Subtraction Facts
ND in Multiplication Facts
* ND stands for "Not Developed" and has a % of 0 - 69 (aka failing)

Under Reading & Language Arts:
A in Spelling (which is a strong point because it's the way he can look at something and put it together)
B in Speaking
C in Reading Comprehension (if he's having problems comprehending, this will affect everything else that deals with- reading and comprehending)
C in Writing
C in Vocabulary

So what's the first step? I know his teacher isn't going to be of any assistance.

Adding:

His complete list of diagnosis as I know them:

Cognitive Disorder not otherwise specified (significant problems with memory, reasoning, planning or other cognitive skills) as given by University of Iowa 10/2005 and continued to be on two consecutive reports in 10/2006 and 2/2008.

Mixed Receptive-Expressive Language Disorder (poor understanding and use of language) as given by University of Iowa 10/2005 and continued to be on two consecutive reports in 10/2006 and 2/2008.

ADHD ~ original diagnosis at 4 1/2 yo

ODD ~ original diagnosis at 4 1/2 yo

Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) ~ added at 5 yo

monitor for Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) not otherwise specified ~ added 7/2008 *side note that I've been looking at Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) since Sept 2005 which is why I asked for testing at U of I; his therapist at home believes there's huge Aspergers symptomology but he saw difficult child for 1 1/2 yrs twice a week.

On top of his environmental allergies of grass, trees, molds, weeds, dust mites, cockroach poop. When checked by blood tests, his thyroid and diabetes were normal and tested negative for food allergies.

Sheila

I'm thinking, "I know you're feeding me a line".

Not really. Unless a child has a 504 or IEP, there's a line over which a teacher is not suppose to cross. With that said, I've known many teachers to go above and beyond for their students.

Your child likely needs an IEP. In order to qualify for an IEP, the sd has to perform the initial evaluation. Subsequently, the child has to be deemed eligible for special education.

To get the process started, send a letter via Certified Mail to your sp ed director requesting the evaluation. If you need a sample, there are sample letters which you can edit at http://www.conductdisorders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420 .

The Certified Mail is very important.

Also, in the Sp Ed 101 Archives you'll find a Getting Started thread. It contains information you'll find helpful.