Where were you born or raised?

Star*

call 911........call 911
I can even do the marching cursive Ohio...............you betcha babe.............GO BUCKEYES........GO BUCKEYES..........

(you think anyone bought the bit about the wolves and all?) It could have been a space ship - in the Andromeda Galaxy - :alien:

Star*

call 911........call 911
Naught ah...........I write all that - transylvania, wolves, the granmother with big eyes, the black forest, the apple, the toad - and all you can see is Ohio - splains a LOT about
Indiana.........
pft.
:tongue:

donna723

I was born and raised in suburban St. Louis, surrounded by grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. We lived in a neighborhood of small houses set very close together, where everyone had some sort of ethnic name. Just about every other building was either a neighborhood bar or a church! It was great! It was so safe back then that we roamed free in the neighborhood from a very young age and nobody worried as long as you were home for dinner or when the street lights came on, whichever one came first.

My dad was in the military and when I was 12 he was transferred to Orlando. For the first year we were there we rented a wonderful old house right across the street from a big lake in an outlying suburb. We absolutely LOVED that house and my dad had the chance to buy it at a very good price, but he chose not to, and they built a new house that was just so-so. The was pre-Disney. That same house is still there and is now worth millions! Oh well! My one shot at being an heiress! I married at 22, divorced a few years later. Married again (BAD idea!) and had my kids 5 years apart.

Meanwhile, my dad had retired and bought a house in the country outside this tiny little town in rural Tennessee. When he died we moved here to take care of my mom who was an invalid, when the kids were 7 and 2. Been here ever since. The kids grew up - one stayed and one left, and I'm still here in this tiny little town with two red lights where everybody knows everybody else ... and if they don't know you, they'll make things up!

Well I dont see many southern girls!!!! I was born in Dothan Alabama and lived in a small town in Alabama until I was 8. then my Dad got transferred to Arkansas - we didnt like it too much there. They didnt have good cornbread! Anyway, we moved from Arkansas when I was in 6th grade to chattanooga Tennessee. We thought we had died and gone to heaven. I stayed there until I graduated from college and got married. Then we moved to GA when my oldest was 1-1/2 and from there back to Tennessee - I had my daughter in albany GA and my youngest was born where we live nnow in Greenville SC. I have never been up north!!!!

Fran

Former desparate mom
Star, most of us buy everything you write truth or fantasy. Fortunately with a grain of salt.

susiestar

Roll With It
I was born in Cincinnati, Ohio in a part of town called Groesbeck. I went to public kdg and then to Catholic School Hades for grades 1-6. In 6th grade I SWORE I wasn't going back and I went to public jr high.

My mom was finishing her dissertation at UCincy, and she got a job in Oklahoma. My dad then found a job there also, so we bought a house and moved. Oklahoma was quite a new experience. At that point our town had about 30,000 people when the University was in session (Oklahoma State University - Go Cowboys!!! NOT sooners). There were no schools other than the public schools. My mom threatened to send me to boarding school because the public schools were VERY easy - about 1 1/2 yrs behind where I ahd been in Ohio. I had a fit and threatened to stop eating if they sent me, so that ended that. (I was very underweight at the time, though we were not sure why - NOT an eating disorder.)

After high school I got a scholarship and went to UT Austin for college. I grew up a lot, but let the academics slide too much. I already had chronic pain and it really affected what I was able to do and not do.

After 3 yrs in Austin I transferred home to OSU. I lived with my parents until husband and I got married about 2 yrs later. I had Wiz in OK in the hospital in our home town. After I graduated I landed a job in Cincinnati and we ended up moving back there! We lived there for 7 years where jessie and thank you were born. Jessie and thank you were born in the same hospital I was born in. With Jessie the doctor who delivered me told me I was pregnant though he didn't do deliveries anymore. But the same nurse was in the labor and delivery room with me through the whole process as was with my mom! It is even the same signature on both hospital birth records! thank you was born there a few years later with a high risk preg doctor and a different nurse (the other one retired 4 months before thank you was born).

When thank you was 18 months we moved back to OK so husband could get a grad degree from OSU. We lived with my parents for 3 very interesting years and then bought a house here. husband has a job 70 miles away, but his commute takes less time than the 25 mile commute he had in OH and the 15 mile commute I had in OH! husband flat out refused to move away from this town, and I doubt he ever will move from here. But the schools are MUCH better, we have our supports for the kids set up, and it is a great town to raise kids in.

I guess with the exception of 3 yrs in Austin i just bounced back and forth from here to OH!

M

ML

I was born in the Bronx NY, grew up in Jersey near Sandy Hook till HS when family moved to OC California. I moved to Denver with my first husband in 95. I still miss the ocean. The mountains are great but not the same for me. ML

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Wow! How much room do I have??? This is complicated and we weren't even a military family! G'pa was doughboy in French trenches during WWI. His buddies were starving for meat. They caught a rabbit but G'pa noticed he was wearing a blue ribbon, so he canvassed neighborhood to find rightful owners. Knocked on family door and paternal G'ma answered. She was plug ugly and the oldest daughter. In those days no girl could get married until the eldest had, so believe me, the family was desperate to get her married off! And off she went to Wichita, Kansas where very Protestant landlady was incensed that Grand-maman had the nerve to do her baby's laundry on the Sabbath (don't ask me, I'm confused too!). Grand-maman NEVER forgave the USA...

She missed her country and her people, so went back and forth between continents only to come back unanounced and found her husband in bed with American girlfriend. OUCH! First divorce in very catholic family.

She took dad to the South of France where her sister's large family moved (it wasn't that glamorous in those days). Then she somehow got a job as a governess to some extremely wealthy Los Angeles family. Those of you from CA might recognize the name "Lancashim?", not sure of the spelling.

Blah, blah, etc...Daddy ended up going to Yale on the GI bill (Marines WWII). I was one of the first babies born to a Yalie (because the lower classes DO tend to reproduce). My parents bought land in CA and drove there in beat up pick up bearing sign "California or bust", ma was preg (me) and read the Grapes of Wrath to dad to keep him awake. They built a house all by themselves in the Hollywood Hills. Pretty romantic.

He was working on his PHD at UCLA, decided we needed to move to France for his (still unfinished) thesis.

Hey? Is the board still awake???

Anyway, that's how I ended up being raised as an expat! I'm a fan of Lost, and believe me, "there's no place like home!"

Thanks, Janet! Great idea!

cadydid

I was born at the USAF Academy in CO. I stayed there until I was 5 and then the AF moved us to Dayton, Ohio. I lived there until I was 13. After the blizzard that kept us out of school for two weeks, my mom told my dad that he better get orders to someplace warm or she was leaving us (there are 4 of us kids) with him and leaving to some place warm lol

We moved to Moreno Valley, CA in 1981. I graduated and stayed there until I moved to Oceanside Ca where my ex was stationed at Camp Pendleton. I lived there until he got out and we moved back to his home in Wichita, Kansas.

We split up in 1998... I met husband in 99, we got married in 01 and moved to our current house in Wellington, Kansas.

I really like it here except it when we have nasty weather. Whether it be severe thunderstorms and threats of tornado's to ice so bad it shuts down Wichita for 3 days, That 35 mile one way drive is a son of a biscuit eater.

Andy

I was born in Brainerd, MN which is a very large tourist area. Fishing, golf and watersports in the summer, fishing and snowmobiling in the winter. You may have heard it was the home of Paul Bunyan but Paul's real home was in the city limits of Baxter (suburb of Brainerd if non large cities can have suburbs).

I grew up North of Brainerd in beautiful Nisswa, MN. I lived between Gull Lake and Round Lake and never really learned how to swim. Nisswa is a very touristy town which is bustling in the Summer and almost a ghost town in the Winter (even with the fishing and snowmobiling).

When I was between 5th and 6th grade, we moved to north of Nisswa mainly to get out of the large Brainerd school district. I worked as a carhop at the A & W in Nisswa and then one or two more years after it was converted to an indoor eating place.

I graduated from Pequot Lakes which is North of Nisswa. When I was 20 years old, I graduated from the Brainerd Area Vo-tech in Accounting and got a temporary job at the Moose Lake State Hospital. From there I took a job in the central office of the Reimbursement offices of State Hospitals in St Paul, MN (at the North End of the Lafayette bridge). I lived in South St Paul for one year with my aunt and uncle and then moved to Inver Grove Heights.

When a position opened in Fergus Falls Regional Treatment Center (state hospitals had changed their names) in 1986 I transferred. I really loved my job in the cities but could not afford rent and car payments. My Fergus Falls (Minnesota) position paid the same and rent was cheaper.

I met husband in 1987 and we were married a year later in 1988. I had Diva in 1990 and quit my job to stay home with her.

We moved across town in 1993 and I returned to work part time. I had difficult child in 1996. Lots of changes in work but this is about moving so I will end here since we are in the same home.

maril

Hey, Fran - yeah! Go Steelers! Such a big sports town is Pittsburgh! Very unique and a melting pot, indeed. I made some barbecue sandwiches with "Isaly's chipped ham" earlier this week and was tempted to buy some paczki after Fat Tuesday (but didn't/resisted)! You probably get my drift, here (a bit of Pittsburgh tradition).

I am still in PA. husband and my family (many of them) seem to have grown deep roots. But, hey, someday when husband and I retire, we plan to travel the US! We'll see.

house of cards

I have lived in 5 places, all in central NJ, probably within 30 miles of each other. husband and I have built our 2 last houses. I can't wait to move to somewhere else like Ohio, Tennesse, or any of the middle east coast states, but I'm stuck in NJ until the Major is 18...his insurance which came with the adoption is only good in NJ.

DammitJanet

Three Shadows. My dad went to Boston College on the GI Bill after coming home from WWII. He was also a Marine. My Grandfather on my mom's side was in WWI too but he was a Navy man. I believe Fireman by trade. I would have to dig out his discharge papers. My dad served on the USS Vincennes in the South Pacific.

svengandhi

I was born in the Bronx and lived in various parts of the borough, including a housing project, till I was 26. Then I did a circuit through the city living on the Upper East Side, in Brooklyn, the Gramercy Park area and finally Queens. I attended all but grad school in the Bronx. When oldest boy was born, I moved to Queens. When I got pregnant with #2, we bought a house in Queens and stayed there till #4 was born when we moved to the suburbs of Long Island.

Although I have traveled, I have never lived anywhere but the city and suburbs.

Reading all of your stories makes me a little sad that I have never lived anywhere else.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Reading all of your stories makes me a little sad that I have never lived anywhere else.

Awww... don't be sad about that! I've lived in the same county most of my life, too. I've travelled to other countries and many other states. But I LIKE it here!

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Truthfully, svengandhi, I would trade all the "glamorous" traveling for a large, loving, boring family with strong ties to a neighborhood and church, preferably an Italian one.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Janet, my dad was in Guam, Guadalcanal and Iwo Jima. He had PTSD before it was recognized as such. I would wake up to his screams of "my God where's his head?!". For years I wondered who Roger was: "Roger, Roger! The plane's on fire! Jump!" He also came back with malaria which would flare up occasionally. I'm resentful that he abandoned me but he sure didn't abandon his country. He taught me to sing the Marines' hymn when I was little (I spoke with a French accent).:faint: