Which costs less?

donna723

I'm not sure about the certified checks, usually just a few dollars. I've gotten them at my bank before and I think it was something like $5 over the face amount??? But I think the money orders vary according to what kind they are. Usually they are very reasonable though. I've only used Western Union one time years ago when my daughter had an emergency and needed cash quickly ... seems like it was pretty darned expensive! Can't remember exactly how much now but it was enough that I've never used it again!

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Western Union is definitely expensive. I've never done a money order, but cashier's checks (no such thing as a "certified" check any more) from the bank are relatively inexpensive.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
US Post Office Money orders are pretty reasonable........ they DO NOT take credit cards, but here is info:

Domestic Money Orders

spacer.gif
bullet.gif
Purchase with cash, debit card, or traveler's check
spacer.gif
bullet.gif
Valid for an unlimited period
spacer.gif
bullet.gif
Can be cashed at any Post Office or can be deposited or negotiated at your financial institution
spacer.gif
bullet.gif
Replace damaged, lost, or stolen money orders
Fees:

$0.01 to $500.00 .......................$1.10
$500.01 to $1,000.00 ................$1.50
Postal Military Money Orders…..$0.30 (issued by military facilities)

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I think Wal-Mart Financial (yes, they have their own financial group) charges 3 dollars for MOs no matter the amount.

muttmeister

I had to send some money to difficult child 2 when his car broke down and he needed it immediately so we did Western Union. It is VERY EXPENSIVE. I haven't used a certified check but I know money orders are cheap.