White diet tomorrow, liquid diet Mon., no food Tues ... colonoscopy time!

TerryJ2

I've never had one before. Don't plan to do it again, either. No one is our family has ever had colon cancer and I only eat red meat once or twice a year.
We're going out to dinner tonight. :) I'm worried that I'll obsess over this mini-diet and feel totally deprived. But I know that I can eat again Monday at about 10:30 a.m. when it's all over.
Yes, I'm going to be put under. I've had 3 friends who had it done and they were awake. Uh, is my anesthesiologist trying to make a buck, or did the nurse just take one look at me and decide I'm the type who needs to be out?

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I just had another one on Wed and it went ok this time as compared to the one in January that almost killed me due to a blockage no one realized I had (cept me). The worst part is drinking that stuff - a gallon of a little salty heavy water stuff. I did 5 glasses then threw up, drank a glass, threw up, drank a glass, threw up. But I got enough down. Everyone I know who had this test was put out (including me :) I wasn't worried about the procedure, I just didn't want to wake up to me passing large amounts of gas -how embarassing LOL

No after effects and went out and ate a really nice breakfast.

I don't have to have another for three years,but thats not long enough.

witzend

I did mine in January, and all I can advise is that the "clean out" is done in two stages, and don't delay starting the first stage. It takes several hours, and then you get a break and need to start again in the morning. If you start late, you'll never get any sleep whatsoever and you will be exhausted.

It was difficult for me because I don't sit upright well or get up and run very well, and as you might imagine there's a lot of jumping up and running and then sitting upright. If you're achy, they will give you something for the pain, as well. At least they did me. They understood that my Muscular Dystrophy made it a very difficult night, and were sympathetic. All in all I was glad I did it, and after reading DDD's post this week, doubly so.

Kathy813

Staff member
I was put out and husband was put out both times that he has had it done. I can't imagine being awake for that. The prep is yucky but I don't remember anything about the procedure itself. I took a nice long nap that afternoon, too.

~Kathy

pepperidge

I've done it three times-they found some big polyps so I had six inches of my colon removed in an operating the following week (after yet again another clean out!) I didn't want to do the colonopscopy but was obviously glad I did. The prep is far worse that the procedure. Technically they don't put you under but give you enough medications that you are totally out of it. I told the doctor I did not want to remember or be aware of anything. I think that is standard operating procedure. After a while you feel so bad with all the prep stuff that you don't even want to eat too much. I thought that part would be really difficult but it wasn't so much.

Good luck!

DDD

Once again the "family" has the answer. The last colonsocopy I had I threw up from the citrus liquid citrus prep. A CD family member from "up North" told me you could take pills instead. THIS time I checked and I was able to take pills. It was so much easier for me. No nausea. Now, lol, the pills are commonly available in Florida. I recommend it and thank God that a CD member from Minn. or Mich. (I think) told me about it. It was more costly but well worth it. Absolutely I suggest sleeping thru the procedure. I am a wimp. Good luck. DDD

Wiped Out

Staff member
Good luck Terry! I know I'm a wimp! I've already told my doctor when I turn 50 that I cannot drink that stuff. He told me there are alternatives. I'm assuming the pills?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
As someone who has watched several, trust me, you want put out. It's not at all pleasant.

I hope it goes well and does NOT need repeated.

((hugs))

pepperidge

I also tried the pills. You still have to drink them with copious amounts of water and while maybe it was better I didn't think it was so much better. I still felt nauseous. I have to have the procedure every 3 years now and you can believe that I am waiting for them to find some other way to figure it all out. I asked about the camera thing, still have to do the cleanout.

Good luck. I tried to tell myself that at least maybe I was going to lose a pound or two!

skeeter

My husband calls them his "photo opportunities". His mother died of colon cancer at age 60 and he has the gene for it. He's had several polyps removed. He went from every 6 months to every year to every 3 years and now we are at every 5.
His doctor is a riot. Showed me all the photos - ok, I didn't need to know my husband THAT intimately. He also showed me where he tattooed the areas where polyps were removed, so husband can say he has tattoos but can't show them to folks!

My dad also died of colon cancer that mastisized, but his was atypical (probably due to work conditions), so I haven't had one yet. I know, I know.

DDD

Don't want to be a "downer" but, lol, the government says every five but it has not been five since I had my last photo op. That's why I am so shocked because even tho I am a wimp I have been diligent about the mamo's and the colon tests. My brother in law's friend is having grave difficulties and he waited four years. I tend to think that the gov't and the ins. cos have extended the test period as a way to cut medical costs.

I'm sure your testing will be a piece of cake. When it's over you are either going to be ready for a LONG nap or a HUGE meal. Enjoy. Hugs DDD

TerryJ2

I am doing the pills, plux Miralax, plus Gatorade. I had Chinese egg drop soup and white rice and tea for lunch, and am having Jello for dinner. Oh, joy!
I'm on my way to take two pills 15 min. early now that I read the notes above.

TerryJ2

So I have a choice? I'm halfway into it, now.
Sigh.
Can't wait for a huge Godiva dark choc with-salt ... definitely not on the white diet.