Who has had an unusual breed of dog who fetched?

BusynMember

Chloe, my yorkie/bichon, won't leave us alone, bringing her toys to us non-stop so we will throw them. A yorkie-bichon fetching? Really???

Guess so!

Anyone else? I've heard of fetching cats too. Weird!

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
I grew up with a bichon, and I don't find anything weird about them fetching. Ours played like that all the time. Is it yorkies that don't?

Dixies_fire

Grew up with a bichon/toy poodle. She used to fold her baby blankets, no joke. But she also fetched.

I have a half toy poodle half min pin. He fetched when we got him even though the ball was half his size but doesn't fetch now. He's not very old maybe 9 months.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I've never owned a dog that didn't fetch. I can't think of a single one who didn't play with us that way. Rufus is already catching on........would do better if Maggie stopped distracting him. lol

I had a dachshund that fetched........he also jumped through hoops and various size fences. He was the first dog I really trained. I was 13-14 at the time.

I think learning to fetch depends on how you play with them. If you toss it for them when they bring it back, most catch on quickly to bring it back as long as they want to continue the game. This is how all of mine "learned" to fetch. I had them fetching everything from toys to balls to their bones. Maggie learned it so well that I am the only person she will bring a returning object to, doesn't matter who is playing with her or how much she loves them. She'll fetch it regardless of who tosses but only brings it to me. No clue why. I didn't teach her that part. lol

BusynMember

Lisa...I've had dogs all my life, but not obviously fetching dogs, like Labs. This is my very first dog who fetches and I did try to show my other dogs how to fetch. They would look at me as if thinking, "Yeah, and THIS is supposed to be fun?" LOLOL

donna723

My bigger mixed breed would look at me like I had lost it if I ever tried to get her to "fetch". She's above all that silly stuff. Two of my Bostons have vision problems and wouldn't be very good at it. Ragan is almost 11 and probably 90% blind and Trace is missing his right eye so he has a "blind side" and no depth perception. But even when Ragan was younger and could see well, she saw no point in fetching. She might chase something but she'd never give it back. But my Katy is a fetching fanatic! She has only one toy she cares about, a red ball with a hole in it. It's hers, she loves it, and nobody else is allowed to touch it. If you throw it or roll it so she can chase it, you have just made her day! She will bring it right back, put it at your feet, and wait impatiently for you to throw it again! And again! And again! She will chase that stupid ball till she's out of breath and panting, and will still be begging you to throw it again!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, to be fair...................the vast bulk of my dogs have been hounds, except Rowdy (would not fetch, looked at you like you were stupid lol ) Molly, Maggie, and Rufus. But Maggie and Rufus are retriever types too.......so I think I'd be a little worried if they didn't fetch. lol Out of all of them...........well, I forgot Rowdy wouldn't fetch. So I have to take back my claim. Rowdy wouldn't play much at all except when he was really young.

SuZir

All of our dogs have fetched from rottweiler to malamute to difficult child's German spitz to all kinds of herders. Also my in-laws elkhounds fetch. About only breed I do know that just doesn't fetch is local long-legged hound used for rabitt and fox hunting which in-laws have also always owned (father in law is avid hunter, my husband also hunts but mostly for social reasons and he borrows father in law's dogs, we don't have hunting dogs of our own. husband is not interested enough to keep and train his own dogs.)

BusynMember

That's why I wondered if anyone else had a non-fetching breed who fetched anyways. I have one who had a bichon who fetched. I'm waiting for somebody else...lol.

susiestar

Roll With It
The lab setter mix that I grew up with never figured it out. She would run to the thrown item, sometimes even pick it up, but from that point? She couldn't figure out what to do wtih it. Sweet as donut bread pudding with caramel sauce, totally ADORED kids, but could NOT figure out most of the world. She is the dog who let the birds, squirrels etc... eat her food before she did.Who would get thrown out of her dog house if it was raiiny or yucky and the cat was outside or too maany other animals wanted to be in there. And who had an armadillo friend, though no one I have ever known has had a social 'dillo who liked another animal.

Capn Morgan has taught husband to fetch. Does that count? There were entire days when all Capn would do was knock things off of tables, counters, etc...just to see husband go pick them up. The cat truly seemed very very amused by this. We had only had him about five or six months at that point. If he can see something he thinks looks like 'red spot', he will do everything he can to make you have to pick it up. If you don' play with him when it is in your hand? He will yowl about an hour after you fall asleep. For a day or two. Or is you are an idiot like my husband, for up to three days because you won't tell the cat to knock it off and that you will throw red spot in the trash. Capn isn't stupid. He knows well and good that pushing Mom means things you don't like are going to happen. He also knows he has Dad wrapped around his pinkie claw. .

BusynMember

Terry, that is so funny! Thanks for the early morning laugh! Maybe Chloe (bichon/yorkie) can teach your retriever how to retrieve???? LOLOL!

Jody

I had a cat Rory, (Aurorabelle) who would fetch one thing and one thing only. Makeup Brushes. She would dig in my purse also until she found them and hid them from me. Broady (Golden Retirever) haha, loves to play catch, not as thrilled with fetch. He loves to catch toys mid air and bring them bag. Once he catches it he shakes the baby thru the air like a mad dog, while I say look at him go, look at Broady go. Too much fun. lol.

SuZir

In the end, any dog can be taught to fetch. Same as you can teach any dog to sit or lay down or any easy obedience trick. Difference is how natural it is; do they have a drive run after moving object for one and do they like to take things to their mouth. Dogs like herders, terriers, sighthounds have very high drive to run and catch something they see moving. Many sighthounds then again don't like to carry things so they don't like to fetch so much. But often dogs who have that drive (terriers, herders) love to chase balls or sticks and soon figure out that they will have a ball thrown again, if they bring it back. If you are training them to do it really and reliably (in obedience training or when training a retriever to be a hunting dog) you work on it slightly different way. And with those techniques you can teach any dog to fetch (even those local hound breeds I mentioned, who really don't naturally do it.)

When bird dog fetches birds, it is little more complicated. Their drive is not solely, or even most part, running after a moving object. Retrievers simply love to carry things and they also have high drive for game (if we are talking about real retrievers, not about the couch potatoes most goldens and labradors have been changed during last few decades. There are still intact hunting lines in those too, though.) It's just little bit different and their passion for hunting makes them much more patient workers when trying to find a bird than for example a german shepherd who also tend to love fetching, but who are driven by the sight of moving target instead of scent of the game itself.

BusynMember

Suzir, I'm sure you are right. But nobody thought about teaching this little bugger to fetch...lol. She knew how to do it. She'd bring you a ball. You'd throw. Now my OTHER dog, a chihuahua/****zu mix, would chase it, pick it up, lay down and play with it. Chloe brings it back. 1,000 times in a row! It's funny to see a dog that looks like her fetching. She is a companion dog on both sides.

InsaneCdn

And then of course there's those dogs that do a totally different kind of fetch... the job of fetching living beings, whether it be sheep or geese or... people. They will not chase a ball or retrieve a stick or go hunting... but they will go "find" <fill in the blank> and make sure it gets home. Those are fun, too.

busywend

I have 2 cats that fetch. It is a small spongy ball they hold in their teeth. One runs after it and brings it back. The other is a goalie and he tries to not let it get passed him and sometimes bats it back to me. He is soccer kitty!

everywoman

My yorkie fetches. He will play for hours. My former yorkie was a princess who wouldn't have wasted her time on such "nonsense "

BusynMember

I called the lady I bought Chloe from and she said that Chloe's mom fetches all the time. She's a yorkie. Must have picked that one up from Mom Dad is not at all interested in fetching (he is a bichon).:)