*Who has kids graduating this year?*

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I don't, but I think this time of year is so special. When I worked with the Special Education high school kids, late May/early June was rife with excitement. Not to mention that Rob's Dad and I were so filled with joy and RELIEF on his graduation day that I'd like your child's day to be noted as well.

So this is a brag thread...

...And a thread for those who feel relief that this chapter in their kid's life (and your life) is over...

...And, remembering that we are talking about difficult children after all, a thread to whine/rage if necessary.

I've made the popcorn and can't wait to hear your stories. :)

Suz

Jungleland

Welcome to my jungle!
Not from high school, but "J" graduated from preschool on Thursday. It was very cute, they slide down a slide and when they reached the bottom, were handed their "diploma" and announced that they are Kindergartners now. It was sweet and the kids felt so big doing that.

I can hardly believe my baby is a Kindergartner, time goes by wayyyy too fast!

Hugs, Vickie

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
N graduated from Pre-school as well!

She was throwing up the week prior to her "Promotion". She cried every night. Hanging on to me in her bed. "I can't do this"
She was terrified of singing the song in front of everyone. They had to tell the audience what they wanted to be when they grow up.

She says to me in bed one night, "How do they all know what they want to be? I have no idea Mommy, how do they all know?"
I felt so bad, she honestly felt they really knew and that she was the only one.

She loves to sing and make up songs. She says all of the time that she wants to form a rock band. We decided on that.
I then talked to the teacher and had her tell N that she could stand by her.
The party ended up being very cute, they sang 6 or so songs one in sign language and one in spanish.
She did fine and told the class what she wanted to be.
She was actually beaming and danced her little butt off! :)

Now we have a couple of months of her asking me every day, "Do we have school today?"

I even show her on the calendar.

house of cards

I had my second graduate college this year, it felt great to get 2 thru that but I expect it is my last one for college. I'll be plenty proud with high school grads after this.

everywoman

Although none of my "real" kids are graduating I do have a homebound student---Special Education., moderately autistic, loads of other diagnosis. graduating, and I feel so very proud. We have been working hard to reach his goals. I saw him for the last time Friday and he made sure to tell me that I could still come to his house whenever I wanted. He is really anxious and afraid he is going to "mess" up somehow. I have to see who he will be sitting with during the ceremony and make sure they take care of him.

difficult child walked across the stage Friday night!

We all had honestly feared that this day would never come, in fact I had made plans for him to take another route with the GED. Most amazing of all, he has a "B" average, and will be eligible for the Georgia Hope Scholarship which pays tuition to state universities and colleges. The trick is keeping the "B" average to maintain the scholarship eligibility. We're encouraging him to take a light load to begin , but he is resisting that idea right now. Honestly, none of that matters right now, we're just basking in this day we never thought would come. Stage one of our work is now completed!

easy child finished his undergraduate degrees earlier this month, and is now working on his
thesis for his Master's degree. It seems that the baton for GFGdom has been passed, because his current stress level is really emphasizing his difficult child qualities. We think that he has tried to do too much, too quickly - two undergraduate and one graduate degree in five years, but again - what do parents know?

We keep reminding ourselves... one day at a time!

Valerie

TerryJ2

Thanks, Suz.

Ooohhh, I remember those days, Vickie!

Totoro, you certainly made it through with-flying colors. Bravo! She sounds adorable. But, my, does she take life seriously!

Kathie, wow, impressive! Congrats!

Aw, Everywoman, that is wonderful. He sounds like a sincere kid.

Valerie, well done! That is awesome for difficult child--to go from GED to B average and scholarship! Congrats on your easy child, as well. I'd be stressed out under those circumstances, too!

My easy child graduated yesterday. She had a B average, and won an award the other night for her Sr Project on her trip to the orphanage in Honduras. Several board members and faculty had kids graduate, so they were able to give their kids their diplomas. It was really neat. The student speech was cute and funny and sweet all at once. The guest speaker was a Hollywood producer who graduated from easy child's school yrs ago, with-a 2.2 average, and never made it through college. Didn't know what he wanted to do, had a zillion odd jobs, and finally, in his 30s, hit on something he loved and was good at. He told students to never give up. Rather than give me hope for easy child, it gave me hope for difficult child! Awesome.

difficult child finally got accepted into the school I liked (she was wait listed) but she doesn't want to go. I am very disappointed on several counts. But she is dead set on the small school she chose and since she's so social, she'll be happier there, anyway.
We drive out Fri night to stay at a hotel, and then spend all day Sat at Orientation.

difficult child made it through 5th grade--barely--and has a ceremony Wed.

KTMom91

Miss KT is graduating from high school on June 9. She's actually been pretty good around the house, even got me a Marie Callendar's coconut pie to surprise me, no fighting with Hubby, is registered for summer school, has a volunteer job lined up, is helping with VBS...so I'm enjoying the ride, but still waiting for the next explosion!

The downsides are her grandmother (Useless Boy's mom), who finally gave her the check for tuition, and then didn't speak to her during the rest of the visit, except to talk over her to UB and say "This girl needs to learn some manners." Miss KT doesn't want Grandma at graduation, doesn't want to see her, because Grandma is so mean to her these days (posted on the bitterness thread), and I can't say I blame her.

Nancy

Haha you asked for it!!!

Actually my story is filled with a lot of anger and grief right now so let's just say that I will know Wednesday morning if she goes to the required graduation practice whether there is even a possibility that she will show up for the ceremony on Sunday.

I use to love this time of year too. Everytime I hear the graduation march my eyes fill with tears no matter who it is that's graduating.

Nancy

DDD

Phew/Whew! It is SO NICE to be able to post positively. In fact I have already "bragged" enough I think. It was totally lovely from Friday all the way through the Graduation ceremony at the football field. (Rain had been forecast and there was nary a drop...and there was a decent breeze as well!) difficult child's biomom opted to sit on the other side of the field with Ex and his 5th wife (actually, a darn nice woman) and biomom's nice boyfriend. Her choice not to sit in the parents section.

When it was all over easy child, her husband, easy child/difficult child, my husband and I just stood in the stands until he finally saw where we were. He looked so grown up :) and then he started jogging to the bleachers where we were and scaled the low wall to walk with his arm around me, grinning from ear to ear. ;) It was lovely. He hugged each of us goodbye just as his Mother and her entourage showed up from the other side of the field. I exchanged pleasant greeting with them, took the cap/gown/diploma and headed home to pig out on leftovers. :redface: difficult child whispered "I love you Mama" and then smiled and headed out to lunch with Ex, GFGmom etc. It was nice.

Is that enough of a brag???????????

NO!!!!!!!!!

I also have a beautiful mostly easy child granddaughter who graduated from the University of Central Florida last week AND another beautiful granddaughter who is graduating next Saturday in San Antonio.

THREE graduations in one year. The last time we had that it was l978 when the twins graduated from one high school in Miami and easy child graduated from my alma mater in Coral Gables.

No Mas!! We'll have one at a time for the rest of the grands and not one more will be a resident of our house! Hooray! DDD

Thanks Suz for caring enough to ask all of us!

goldenguru

My easy child graduated from college. He's a civil engineer. He has a job.

I also just graduated from college. Better late than never I always say. I too have a job. In our fine state - having a full time job is nothing short of miraculous!!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
:bravo::abouttime::bravo::congrats::dance: :happy_new_year:

Well, I'm just so danged proud of my family here. Who'd a thunk we'd have so many brilliant progeny...and GG, too :D ...from pre-school through college graduation :wine:

Hugs to all,
Suz

slsh

member since 1999
I wish all of you with graduates heartfelt congratulations. Especially those of you with HS graduates, whether they walk or not. It has been such a long journey to get them to this point and you really need to pat both yourselves and your difficult children on the back.

I expected and assumed all my kids would graduate HS at the very least. Could not have conceived of anything less. Of course, having a difficult child means all the best laid plans go out the window. ;) I am truly just tickled at all the graduates this year. It really is quite the accomplishment in gfgland.

busywend

OH - ME ME ME!!!!

My difficult child (who turns 18 today - Happy birthday difficult child!) will be graduating on June 26th - but I am still keeping my fingers crossed.

The graduation risk was gym class. She had failed 2 years and needed those credits to graduate. I got the school to agree that she could take 2 of the 3 gym classes needed at the local community college. For a kid who hates gym, taking 3 of them her senior year would have been pure and utter torture.
She finished the 2nd one 2 weeks ago. She is also passing gym at school this year. Phew/whew!

We had a big 18th party for her yesterday and I told everyone we would be repeating it on the 27th. So much work and $$$! I am exhausted!

Anyway, she speaks of attending the local community college in the 2+2 program. 2 Years at the community college and then if she qualifies 2 years at a 'big girl' college. Her SATs and current grades would not get her in anywhere. In fact I did not encourage applying anywhere so she would not have to get those rejection letters.

Congrats to everyone that has a difficult child graduating!!!!

WAHOO!!!!

difficult child 1 is graduating from high school in a few weeks. I'm thrilled that he made it this far! However, he is being a total PITA and expects all the good things in life to be handed to him on a silver platter.

He believes he is fully independent but, in reality, is still totally dependent on us. He won't get off his arse to do one thing to help himself unless he is forced to do so by husband. husband and I are doing everything in our power to get him to grow up.

As long is difficult child 1 is under our roof, he is expected to "work" for his room and board. We have lots of clerical work that needs to be done in the office. difficult child 1 has three full days of school left, two half days (finals), and two rehearsals for his upcoming graduation. He is not allowed to come home and play video games. He has to walk to the office (never got his driver's license but expects us to buy him a car) after school and work. He is expected to work a full day. husband will drive him home in time for dinner.

We have plans in place for him and have actively been trying to find him a studio near the junior college he'll be attending in September. (He gave up on going to the expensive technical university I wrote about earlier in the year - A LONG story...) However, difficult child 1, as much as he says he hates living in our house, doesn't do what is necessary to move out - Refuses to look for summer employment (the college has student jobs on campus), has an excuse for everything, and of course, NOTHING is ever his fault!!!

I could go on and on and on... but will stop for now. I guess I should just be happy he is graduating. I just HATE him living in our house!!! It's absolute HE77!!! WFEN

Star*

call 911........call 911
For those of you who have children graduating this year - congratulations.

Fingers crossed for Dude should have been class of 2009. We'll take GED class of 20any.

Best wishes for success for your kids!

jbrain

Thanks Suz and everyone else for your congrats! My difficult child 2/easy child, M, is graduating high school on June 25th and I don't think anyone will sigh a bigger sigh of relief than me! She has hated high school so much! She has struggled due to emotional issues--intellectually she should have had no problems. She had to be on home instruction for several semesters, had a reduced schedule, had to be tutored all during the summer between 10th and 11th grade in order to advance to 11th grade. I do have to say that our school district has been very supportive of us--so different than a lot of the stories I have read here.

My difficult child 1 never did make it to graduation (class of 2007) and I was sad when her class graduated and she wasn't part of it. However, she did get her GED while in rehab when she was 17 so I am very proud of her for that.

difficult child 2/easy child will be doing a gap year program starting next Fall. She is going to India for 3 months, will be home for a month at Christmas, and then will do a solo internship for the next 3 months. I am excited but nervous--I am hoping she will be able to manage her emotional states. I think it will be a positive experience and she will come back in a much better emotional and mental place but you never know!

Congrats to all you other parents and it is so nice to know there are other parents who also will be celebrating their kid just getting through high school in one piece!

Jane