WHOA Horse!!!!

Hi family,

Let's just start off by me saying THANK YOU that I am able to be on here typing today!!!

Yesterday, since our family did not celebrate Halloween, we kept the kids from school and went with J's sibs' adoptive family to a day by the river with all our horses, my 1 and their 3. We lead the littler ones on short trail rides and then left the littles with friends and rode with the olders. It was sooooo much fun. Jayme actually could have went on a trail ride almost by herself, she is sooo into Aspen, our horse. Aly is getting over her fear of riding, but still adores all the grooming, taking care of stuff. She can clean a stall faster than me!!

Anyways, I took Aspen up a little trail on a ridge that overlooked the river. It was breath taking, literally! Aspen misstepped into a hole I didn't see and spooked and took off running down the hill, straight for some huge, sharp boulders. I was hanging on for dear life and my brain shut off somewhere down that hill. I had a hold of the O* S*** horn and I guess was pulling up so hard on it I was lifting her saddle. :smile:

I could hear a voice screaming to me to pull back and I am thinking in what little brain I have left, while hanging on sideways, that I WAS pulling back. DUH!! NO, PULL BACK ON THE REINS!!! OH, ya, that's right! "Whoa horse"! She comes to a halt right in front of a huge truck!!

OMG! I saw several lives pass before my eyes. I cannot believe I was actually able to hold on the entire time. But I really cannot believe I forgot those magical words "Whoa horse"!! :hammer: I mean, my horse is very well trained! Me, however, I need ALOT of work! YIKES!!

I am sooo sore today and my back is aching, but I don't think I did any permanent damage. husband is not talking to me, lol! He has a healthy fear of horses and is ticked off I am riding at all (back surgery this past February). I keep telling him I am in the best shape I have been in in years with my weight loss and all the chores that come with farm life. He just :rolleyes:

I think I will keep on the ground for a while and get some more riding lessons. Guess 25 years of not riding finally caught up with me!!

Going to go soak in a hot bath now!

Ouchy whaa whaa,
Vickie

KFld

I'm sure you did see several lives pass before your eyes.

I have only been horse back riding once in my life and it was about 2 years ago. I got up on that big huge horse and I was terrified. I thought I was going to have an anxiety attack and the owner came over and assured me that her 5 year old rides this horse I was going to ride. Once we started walking and I realized they all just followed each other around a path and back and that it really didn't matter much what I said to the horse, it was trained to follow the pack.

I kind of felt silly afterwards, but hey, I didn't know :smile:

susiestar

Roll With It
It sounds like you had a scare, but that it was a reminder to get some more riding lessons.

It is good that the kids like horses. I love them.

If I get my back fixed I will take any opportunity I can to ride. I rode as a child, but never could afford my own horse. Still can't, but someday.

It is easy to panic if you haven't done a lot of riding in a situation. I hope you feel better soon and that the kids were not scared off of riding.

Hugs,

Susie

Lothlorien

Scary. The whole time I'm reading this, I'm thinking..."oh my gosh, didn't she just have back surgery?" Glad you didn't get hurt.

rejectedmom

I had one very scary trail ride back in my twenties that kept me off horses until I could get some lessons. I took them about 15 years ago but couldn't afford my own hoorse and then wrecked my knee learning another sport. I now have to learn Western saddle but not until I get this bone loss thing under control. Just too darn brittle at the moment to risk it. -RM

Star*

call 911........call 911
YOU daredevil you! Maybe you should settle for a ride in something that doesn't run on oats.

Don't let her get away with that again..Tell her you won't buy her shoes at Zappos! Tell you you'll get a inferrior farrier.

Hugs
Star

mum2JK&TH

Glad that your okay. That has got to be my biggest fear with easy child's riding, even the quietest (is that a word) horse can spook.

We just bought her a pony who is as "bomb-proof" as it gets and I still worry.

Feel better soon!