Why do cats wait until you're getting ready to leave...

Wiped Out

Staff member
All I can say is I'm sorry! The other day my dog did the same thing (while we were out though) and my kids left the mess for husband and me-grr!

KTMom91

Dogs are best! Dogs rock! Dogs rule!

Yeah, I know...we have four grown cats, and the three little kittens in a 6-foot tall ferret habitat in my living room because they were able to jump out of the dryer box. Guess we're keeping them...Miss KT is thrilled. Me...not so much.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Loth - ROFL! So perfect!

We don't have a problem with cats (3 of them) or dog doing that right before we leave. No, they do it whenever, but their favorite place is wherever they think we will step next.

Like in the doorway. Or the middle of the hallway (who walks along the walls?!)

My favorite (that's sarcasm guys) is when one is sleeping all comfy, curled up with husband, and the furball comes in, paws at us, snuggles in between and then URPs all over the bed. EWWWWW!

SRL

I have to brag on my cat: he comes and finds me when he's going to throw up and most often he aims for the kitchen floor or the rug between the kitchen and living room. He's done this since he was my little orphan baby. Ditto with coming to find me if he's not feeling well for some reason.

In all fairness I should add that (in the words of my daughter) my cat is fat, lazy and mean to us (well, to them), so I'm not sure being a convenient barfer levels things out.:devil:

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
You mean they only do it when you leave??? Our's has an appetite for anything non-edible, and ralphs immediately after consuming said items.

String. Bread wrappers. Easter grass. Ribbons. Newspaper. All items we must hide, all for the sake of difficult child's cat...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Shari - my mom's cat likes magazines, shampoo, bar soap and staples.

Imagine: little kitten frothing at the mouth. Then urping frothy stuff.

We call him "Cuisinart".

SRL: Of our three cats, we have "Weasel", "Possum" and "Squirrel", each with the requisite habits of said animals. Weasel is cuddly and sweet but with a major 'tude and likes to stalk a lap to lay in - urps whenever, wherever. Possum isn't cuddly unless it's with husband, if he has a hairball he will find someone (anyone) to show it to as it arrives. Squirrel doesn't have very many hairballs (has the most fur though... Hmm), but she likes to be up high (like on top of the refrigerator or in a windowsill) before she urps. Splatter, anyone? Sigh.

tiredmommy

My Pookie (see my avatar) likes to gorge herself with kibble in the mud room, walk through the entire house and barf it up either on my side of the bed or husband's. If she can't make it that far then she lets loose on the patterned rug right outside our bedroom... where it blends in. Grr. :devil:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
No, it wasn't an intentional upchuck... it just felt that way yesterday when I was getting ready to leave with the kids and OOPS, THERE IT IS!

I never used to like cats until I met husband. When we first got married, he was feeding every feral cat in the neighborhood. One of them had kittens in the utility closet outside our condo. Just two kitties, which we decided to keep for our own (Fred and Barney). We couldn't catch her at first, then she got prego again and had a litter of four. We managed to catch her and got her spayed, then found homes for the babies.

We had Fred and Barney for a while. Barney got out when we moved to this house and spent a week roaming the hillsides. We found him with cactus thorns in his nose, but he escaped again a few days later and we assume he became coyote food since we never saw him again. Fred was with us about six more years before he slipped out the door after a surgery and went to play with the coyotes.

We were catless for about seven more years (too busy having difficult child's). Then we decided to adopt a kitten from the pound. That was Whiskers -- a lazy brown tabby. He was sick and nearly feral when we got him. He's still a little neurotic today. Two years later a friend was looking for a home for her 4-month old cat who didn't fit in with their other pets, so we brought him home. That's Harley. He looks blue Russian but he's got tabby in there too 'cuz you can see ghost stripes.

Anyhow, I love my cats. They sleep with husband and I (their favorite humans). Some days I wish we had a dog, too, but I'm allergic to most :( Plus we don't have a fenced yard.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Some days I wish we had a dog, too, but I'm allergic to most :( Plus we don't have a fenced yard.

I have the PERFECT dog for you!!!! Almost a week and no barfing...he's small so doesn't take up much space. He's getting used to cats and while he's energetic, I'm sure your husband could build him a FABULOUS run similar to the BauckMansion!!! He's super sweet and friendly as can be!!!