Why is it that nothing seems to go as planned

klmno

At least in my life that is the way things have been for five years now. I thought I had a townhouse lined up. Last night I rec'd an email saying the job holds pay two weeks and that would mean I would have no paycheck until the last day of October and that would only be for one weeks' pay. I flipped over that but slept on it before doing anything. I emailed this morning explaining that since I was paying for all these deposits and would have to pay Novenber's rent at that time, I didn't see how I could make that work and asked if they could help somehow- I'd be glad to let them take it out of my check over a couple of pay periods in November.

After waiting two more hours without being able to commit to anyone here ready to help clean out house, I hear back from them that they will make an exception and not hold my pay for that long. I start work on Tues. and they will pay me for all the Oct days I work at the end of October. Shewwww....that was a HUGE relief!

Then right before lunchtime, I found out that I didn't get the toownhouse because I have been unemployed the previous year. (I thought they would be more concerned that I had a job for the following year). So everything switched gears again. Nnow I have to go to a hotel until I can secure housing. That's fine except I't's going to cost extra money that I really need for deposits and living. I have a place lined up to look at this weekend and it is owned privately so there's no two-day application process. But the man is out of town until Monday. He's going to try to get a friend to show me the place Sat. It's the lower floor of a real old home and photos look pretty neat. He says there is a lady living upstais who has two small dogs and a lady down the street who comes over and walks and feeds dogs for a very reasonable price if someone needs a pet-sitter.

Please keep fingers crossed that this one works out. He's willing to let me pay the deposit in two payments which I now desparately need since I'll be spending about a week in a darn hotel.

Monday is a federal holiday. Will utility companies be open on Monday?

KTMom91

I think banks and federal institutions are the only things closed...sending prayers and good thoughts that everything works out!

klmno

I spoke with my new boss- he's concerned about that area where the apt is but he also says he and his wife will have a duplex for rent I could look at. I don't know- that could get sticky. I'll be working with this guy and sometimes traveling with him and having a difficult child and two pets- it just seems to be pushing things to me.

TerryJ2

I like the dog-friendly aspect of the temporary place.

I'd look at the duplex ... in between looking at other rentals, of course. :)

I'm so sorry about the up-and-down days you've had. I hate it when that happens.

klmno

Yeah, me too. But I have noticed that the new boss blows my bubble in everything I mention regarding where to live. He seems like a great guy so I'm not sure what to do. I will look at whatever places I can I guess. He keeps suggesting areas that are way out of my price range now that I have to pay CS and start over with everything- not to mention that I'll be making about 70-75% of what I used to earn. I'm gratefull for it- it is certainly better than what I was facing as alternatives- but I can't afford the same lifestyle right now and i wish he'd quit discouraging me about anything I find that I can afford. We have agreed to touch base tomorrow or Sat and he said he'd drive me thru some neighborhoods. Maybe that will resolve it- if he can help me find something in a neighborhood he approves of and I can afford it, great. Otherwise, maybe he'll accept that I can't afford it, so what's the next option.

Jena

klmno i'm with you on the working with, renting from thing. go see the other place first. hopefully that'll work. hey your on your way :)

and as far as things not working as planned.......... hmmm when you figure that out drop me a line cause i've been wondering the same **** for years !!!

Mattsmom277

If your boss has a affordable place and it would mean a permanent place and you could keep your pets, I'd say go for it. Awful as it sounds, it is much more likely to helpful at your job so long as you take good care of your rental unit. (Sounds nuts but less likely to let you go over some silly thing like some bosses do, since he wants his rent lol) I wouldn't stress renting from him. I mean, as long as you see the unit and it is in good shape and you don't feel you'd need to ask him for much. Just pay rent on time and try to not ask for much as a landlord and it shouldn't be a problem. And if it sounds like a safer neighborhood, that would be a bonus too? You may not even like the place, but I think if it is in your price range it might be worth looking at to compare to the other rental.

Sorry you hit a glitch. I'm a believer that things happen for a reason. Maybe the townhouse fell through because it has scum lords? Maybe this job came along just in the nick of time for you in your lengthy job search because its going to be a perfect match for your personality and job needs. Maybe it was also meant as a stepping stone to a decent landlord, seeing as he's your boss I doubt he'd be a total scumball if for example the furnace conked out or something.

I'll be so thrilled when you post that you have a permanent place and are sitting in a sea of boxes getting ready to set up in a new home. I know how long this past year or more has been and you've been through so much. I said a while back to you that I thought things were on the upswing and going to just get better and better for you. I really do believe that. Even your tone with this setback seems one of frustration but also of taking it in stride. You're stronger and stronger for all these hassles. And things are falling into place.

I'll throw you a board party when you post that moved in somewhere and your physically in the house. (((Hugs)))

klmno

Thanks! I'll need a party and will be happy to have one! I told him I'd look at his potential place on Sat- but I thought he said it wouldn't be available until the end of November. I sure can't afford a hotel until then and that would be pretty hard to live in one for that long- a week is not so bad if you know you have a better place after the wait.

klmno

Oh wonderful- I just got off the phone with the man who was supposed to help haul stuff to the dump tomorrow and clean- he backed out. Then spoke with the people againg who have the pet-friendly place and they said that someone who looked at it last weekend plan to submit a deposit check right away so now it's not available. If I have to live in a hotel for 3 weeks, I won't be able to afford deposits and so forth.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/, you can post there and get advice from people who have nothing to gain. It gives me the creeps that your boss would offer to rent his property to you. Like s***ing in his own backyard. I guess I'm just too cynical.

Good luck to you, k. You've suffered enough for a lifetime. When will you catch a break?

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Remember the television show "Melrose Place" ?

If you recall, Amanda was the boss AND the landlady...and all the other characters on the show rented from her, worked for her or both. And when you mentioned you could rent from your boss - well, that was the first thing that came to mind...all the fighting, back-stabbing and games that happened on that show.

So--if the job was GREAT and you knew you were going to stay a long time....renting from the boss might be a fantastic set-up.

But - if anything happened with the job or you wanted to leave or things went downhill...you might find it very awkward to be in that rental situation.

(or, you know, if you had an affair with the boss's best friend AND his son AND his brother and then THEY became interested in one of your room-mates who was trying to blackmail you to get information on your boss and you needed to find a way to get rid of the two of them without the boss finding out.....oops! wait - that's "Melrose Place" again...sorry)

Best of luck with your house-hunting!

klmno

Ha, DF! Where have you been lately anyway?

I'm onto another plan now and this will be the last one, I hope. I woke up this morning and realized there's no way I can haul this much out of town in a timely manner and don't want to have to pay for 2 hotels as I run back and forth leaving me no time to look for housing this weekend. Then my tiny lightbulb kicked on and I rented a small storage unit near this neighborhood and will be stuffing it full today. Then I found a suite type hotel room (has a microwave & ref. & internet in it) for less than the other place and they are holding a room for me until this evening. It won't be a nice place but the cost is good and I could even stay there a few weeks, until my first check from work, if I can't find something this weekend. So that relieves a lot of pressure. When I come to visit difficult child I'll just take a load back from the storage unit.

klmno

I just got word where difficult child will be transferred- it's the worst of the two options. I sure hope they help him though.

LittleDudesMom

As evening settles in, I hope this time finds you somewhat settled as well.

This is a new adventure, a new beginning, but I know it can be stressful.

Be well.

Sharon