Why is it...

trinityroyal

...that everyone forgets how to drive in snow, every year? :mad::mad:

This is CANADA, for heaven's sake. It snows here EVERY SINGLE YEAR!
:snowing:

Yet every winter it's the same thing...

The first snow of the year brings total carnage on the roads.
:crazydriver:

Highways closed, fender benders everywhere, people sliding off the roads into snow banks...

I just don't get it.

Trinity,

I've spent my entire life in New England. We get lots of snow too. And, yes, we have the same road disasters year after year too:mad:.

I hope you didn't have a bad road experience today. Stay SAFE!!!

I always like a bit of snow on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve - after that, I just want it to MELT AWAY. Once the dogs, cars, etc., get to it, it's just an ugly nuisance. But, sometimes, when it's really cold, late in the day, and everyone's home, there is something special about watching the snow fall, while sipping hot chocolate near the fireplace... Of course my "favorite sanity saver" and difficult child cat have to be there too...

Sorry, I'm getting off topic. I hope they get your roads cleared up ASAP!!! WFEN

KTMom91

We don't have the snow, but we have tule fog that gets so thick you literally can't see the lines on the road. And every year, there are these idiots going way too fast; you know they can't see anything in front of them, and there are always horrendous accidents. I wish it was just the first fog of the season, but we've already had several bad accidents, and I know there are more to come.

Stay safe!

trinityroyal

I hope you didn't have a bad road experience today. Stay SAFE!!!

Nope, no bad experience, just an annoyance. It just took me about an hour to get home from my therapist appointment, which is a 20 minute trip. Because some idiots were going too fast, had a chain reaction fender bender (about 6 cars, no serious crashes, no injuries according to the traffic news), they had to close 2 lanes of the highway.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Yeesh, I always wonder the same thing every year. We haven't had snow in our area of CT yet. I try to stay off the roads if I can - mostly to avoid bad snow drivers. They either go way too fast for road conditions or way too slow (over reacting!). I can't wait to get my bonus so I can buy some snow tires for my car - it's terrible in the snow. Stay safe!

Woofens

It's the same way here. We have already had interstates closed due to accidents, a couple fatalities, and a car that hit a coal truck (18 wheeler) that in turn hit a house. SO knows I don't drive when the roads are bad. Not because I'm afraid, but because I don't trust the other drivers.

Lothlorien

Several years ago, we had sooooo many snow storms that everyone got used to driving and by the end of the winter, there were hardly any accidents. The following winter, we barely had a dusting and there were dozens of accidents.

I could understand if it were some of the Southern States, but c'mon. These weren't new drivers either.

I just go nuts when I'm on the road in snow or rain and people in 4wd think that they can still do 80 and drive recklessly. I have 4wd and tho it makes it easier to drive, it's no less hazardous.

Ropefree

Banned
I learned to drive in snow. When snow falls in areas where the drivers are completely
clueless. Wow. In one drive home I pulled to the side of the road twice as traffic was coming to a stop and the car in the road behind me ran into the car in the road the was ahead of me!
I prefer to pick times when traffic is minimal and I leave a big space between me and the next car. And when the car behind is to close, I slow down turn on my hazards and get off the roadway.
TAke caaaarrree this winter!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Trinity,

I was raised in the Great White North. I learned how to drive in the snow. I feel for you because.....

Now I live in the Deep South. I'm a defensive driver MORE than I've ever been in my life (I blame influx of teen drivers and drugs). When it rains here - people actually speed up.

When it snows or gets a tad of ice on the roads? I STAY PUT. Not because I'm afraid of my driving but I AM deathly afraid of mostly everyone elses driving.

Hugs and Bumpers....
oh that was cute....bumpers....snort.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
It's the same here in PA, Trinity. I guess human nature (and stupid driving) is the same everywhere.

Suz

Jena

Hi

I'm sorry i'm so late to this. You are too funny. I laughed when I read that post. Same here, yet I had visited friends in canada a few years ago both in the summer mos and winter and yes with-o a doubt a whole lotta' accidents. LOL

Be careful!!!

mstang67chic

Going Green
It's the same here in Indiana. I don't get it either. We go through this EVERY YEAR people. EVERY year. Yet you are all so flippin STUPID that you forget?????

The blurbs on the news by the cops cautioning people to slow down and take it easy always make me giggle. Mainly because you can tell some of them just want to Go. Off. but they can't.

I told my mom the other day that if she hears about a multi-car pile up and someone was arrested for verbally abusing all of the other drivers............come bail me out. If these idiots get me involved in something like that....I WILL express my feelings and it won't be pretty.

Abbey

Spork Queen
KTM...tule fog! It was so bad when I lived in CA. There was one night that I completely got lost in a city I had lived in for 5 years and knew every road. I literally had no idea where I was. You don't want to pull off to the side...you'll get rear ended. So, I just kept driving until it cleared up an hour later. I think I was a good 2 hours from my house.:mad:

Abbey

trinityroyal

So...it's warmed up and all the snow has melted overnight.

Trouble is, this means that everyone will forget how to drive in snow...and a week from now when it snows again, we'll be in for a repeat performance.

In Quebec they've made it mandatory for all cars to have snow tires from mid-November until mid-March. That's great...except if you're tooling along in your hot rod, assuming that snow tires will save the day...then you end up in the snow bank. Or worse.

Is there some way to make being an idiot against the law? At least then they'd all be off the roads...

AAARRRRGGGGH!

Andy

I drove on black ice for about 10 - 15 miles tonight. People were passing me (my lane was going 30 - 35 mph) and switching lanes in an effort to frog jump to the front. I kept a large distance between me and the car in front so I would have time to safely slow even further down or stop if needed. And someone was ON my tail. So, if I had to slow down or stop, that person would have been in HUGE trouble. PEOPLE, black ice is BAD! How do you think all these others ended in the ditch? Calm down, keep your distance, and go with the slow reasonable flow until we get past this! You are NOT going to get out of this with your foolish ideas of speeding around on black ice.