Why, oh, why???

Abbey

Spork Queen
Do I like these things?

Hotdogs. I LOVE hotdogs. Not fancy franks or brauts...just a nasty old hotdog with a squirt of ketchup and a ton of kraut. I don't even eat meat!! Toss me a steak and I'll turn a cheek. Hotdog? I'm RIGHT THERE. I just had one in a potato bun. How much better is that?

Cucumbers. How can a person love cucumbers...but I do. My neighbors brought over a bag of them a few days ago - home grown. Oh, my. I have an old family recipie for a cucumber salad. When I was writing down a shopping list I thought the guys here were going to heave. Vinegar? Why do you need vinegar? Needless to say, the cucs are gone.

Milk. Just fed-ex me a cow.

Cheese. (see milk above.)

Pickles. This is probably the hardest for me as I've been prohibited to eating them from my doctor because of the salt level. I guess it doesn't help as I would eat nearly a jar a day. Now I just sneak when I can.

Hot, fresh bread? Ohhhhhh...

I think I'm going to go and eat.

Abbey

DammitJanet

I like hotdogs too but I dont do kraut on dogs. I like it on brats. Also on reuben sandwich's. I also like meat though..lol. I love cucumbers too. I love bread and butter pickles. Dills arent my favorite. Keyana loves all of them...lol. She looks so funny walking around eating pickles with her eyes all scrunched up.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm not a big hot dog fan but love cucumbers!!! Just had some with my dinner as a matter of fact! Pickles I like but don't eat them as much as I used to. When I was in elementary, middle, and high school I took a pickle in my lunch every day. Then one summer when I was off from college I worked in a pickle factory, took me a long time to eat pickles again.

Milk, I'm not a big fan of but cheese-yummmmm, and fresh bread-heavenly!

trinityroyal

Abbey, you're definitely not alone on any of those things...

Except for the hotdogs (I prefer spicy Italian sausages) and milk (I like it, it doesn't like me back) I like everything on your list.

One of my favourite snacks is cheese and pickles. Just hunks of cheese and pickles laid out on a plate. I alternate bites...

Trinity

svengandhi

One of my favorites treats at Costco is the hotdog with a slathering of kosher deli mustard and a ton of kraut. I get one every time I go.

KTMom91

Warm bread and a big chunk of cheese. Yum. Pickles, too. Cucumbers...yep. They make such a nice crunch.

How about a grilled cheese sandwich, pickles, and a big glass of icy cold milk?

Lothlorien

Old fashioned garlic pickles, like the Batampte ones....YUM!

I like a good hot dog with sauerkraut and Gulden's mustard....no yellow mustard if Gulden's is around.

I don't do milk too much anymore, unless I have a good chunk of chocolate cake or Chips Ahoy chocolate chip cookies....then a glass of milk is essential. Don't give me skim or 2%.....I want the fat!

In about two or three days I will have enough cucumbers to send everyone on the board, I think. I planted 6 plants and then husband went and got six more (yikes). Last year, he forgot, so I had none and now I've got too much. I had a nice cucumber salad tonight with dill, vinegar, small amount of sugar and some sour cream.

Wanna know what the staples are in my house? Dilusso salami, peperoni, prociutto, provolone and Havarti cheese. When I'm in a snacking mood, I usually go for one or more of these.

Marguerite

Gotta introduce you to an Aussie meat pie. Don't worry about not being a meat eater ... there's about the same amount as in a hot dog.

The most common way of eating a meat pie is in your fist, with a squirt of tomato sauce on te pie. Some people daintil remove the lid of the pie, spoon out all the fillnig then eat the crust.

The traditional way to eat one is as a "pie floater" - the pie sitting on a puddle of "mushy peas" - green peas cooked and mashed ito a thick pea soup. You can also have the "Tassie tiger" - the pie floater with tiger stripes of tomato sauce (aka ketchup - but we don't call it that). You can get those at the iconic Harry's Café de Wheels, we now have several of these caravan cafe things around Sydney but the original has been there for over 60 years, the troops were buying their pies there as they embarked to sail off to WWII.

At Harry's there are photos of various famous (and infamous) faces who have bought a pie there and had teir photo taken eating it. On the side of the caravan you can even see Colonel Harland Sanders - eating a Harry's pie floater!

Just had to share tat one. It's down the road from difficult child 3's school (the correspondence H/O in the city).

When US warships berth in Sydney, Harry's is the first food place they meet, it's right on the corner of the dock. You can sit and eat your pie and dangle your feet over the Harbour.

Hotdogs? We don't eet no steenkin' hotdogs!

Marg

trinityroyal

Abbey, I must tell you that as a direct result of this thread, I was up at 3 am with my head in the fridge, eating cheese, pickles and rye bread!

Actually, come to think of it, I could go for some more. And a grilled cheese sandwich. And a stack of Chips Ahoy biccies (Thanks Loth!) And one of those pie-thingies you mentioned Marg...

GOSH I'm hungry!

Hotdogs. I LOVE hotdogs.

When I saw this, I thought you were going to sing the Armour Hot Dog song.......Besides, if you watch the Simpsons, you should know that hotdogs are not "real" meat anyway.......they are made from Raccoon, a boot and two other things that Lisa Simpson mentioned. So enjoy!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Oh, trust me...I know about hotdogs, which is why it makes it even worse. When you grow up in SD and your yearly school field trip was to the local meat packing plant - well, hopefully you don't get the picture. You do NOT want to know what goes into those guys.

But I love the buggers!!

Abbey

trinityroyal

Trinity, you made me crack up. I bet you have some wicked heartburn today.

Heartburn's not so bad, but I do have a never-ending case of hiccups. A direct result of my dead-of-night foraging.

As for the Chips Ahoy fix, husband drives right past the Mr. Christie cookie factory :surprise: on his way home from work. Needless to say, he got the panicky pregnant wife call requesting a small pit stop on his way home.

I am now the proud owner of a giant bag of slightly chipped Chips Ahoy cookies. The ones that were not suitable to go in the boxes for sale, but are good enough to wash down with a glass of chocolate milk!

(Honest to goodness! The bag is the size of a Glad Kitchen Catcher. I'm in chocolate chip cookie heaven. I know I'm gonna regret this later...)

donna723

I love hot dogs too ... except for the really rot-gut ones that are dyed red and leave big red streaks on the bun :sick:! The best, the VERY BEST hotdogs are the ones you buy in a major league ball park! There's just something about sitting up there in the stands eating a hot dog ... And no, I DO NOT want to know what's in them!

Abbey, I used to have the most wonderful recipe for a cucumber salad! I used to make it when we had a garden and had more cucumbers than we could use. I don't remember now what else was in it except for thinly sliced cucumbers, sour cream and salt & pepper and not much else. A little lemon juice too, I think. You mix it all together and then let it sit for several hours until a little of the juice comes out of the cucumbers. Another one of those things that don't sound that good but are really, really great!

Marguerite

When we went to Greece difficult child 1 fell in love with a tomato and cucumber salad they served him. I've been able to reproduce it back home.

You need lebalese or continental cucumbers for preference but any will do. Peeling them is optional. You don't slice the cucumbers, you chop them up into chunks (I slice a cucuber into four lengthways and then cut about 1 cm apart). Then you chop really ripe, sun-warmed tomatoes the same way. ANy juice from the tomatoes has to go into the salad.
They served the salad with a drizzle of good olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar. A pinch of mixed herbs is optional. You eat it with chunks of dry bread (and for us in Athens, the rbead wasREALLY dry, it was serious heatwave plus drought. The bread was fresh when it arrived on the table but hard and dry by the time the food arrived a few minutes later. But it was OK - dipping the bread into the juices of the salad moistened it and made it a meal fit for a king).

Another good cucumber recipe, also from Greece - tzaziki. You can buy it but the shop stuff has been made and packaged long enough for te cucumber to be soggy and clear, it changes the flavour. It's fabulous when it's really fresh. And easy to make, too.

You need a good continental plain yogurt. Get a continental cucumber and shred it finely. Do not use a food processor to puree - it will turn it into lassi, not tzaziki. But a hand-held or machine grater is OK. Preferably a mandoline that shreds finely or does a double-fine julienne. Chop the cucumber, if you produce a lot of liquid in the procedure then drain it off. No need to squeeze it though.

Then mix the cucumber in with thr yogurt - about a cup of chopped cucumber to 1-2 cups of yogurt. Now for the same quantity add quarter tsp salt (more to taste if you want), four cloves of crushed garlic (I know it's a lot - ease back a little but it has to be strong with garlic). Let it stand in the fridge for an hour or so if you can wait so the flavours can blend a bit more.
If you want you can add a few flavours - a couple of sprigs of mint, chopped and/or some chopped dill.
Serve tzaziki with chunks of crusty bread (as in the salad).

Fabulous especially in summer. We live on it here.

Marg

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Abbey I love hotdogs, but only the ones you get from venders.........plenty of mustard, relish, and onions please!!

Cheese. Cheddar and Motzerella are my all time favs.......I will sit and eat and eat. lol And I'm not allowed dairy products. But yeah, I cheat ocassionally.

Fried potatoes 'n onions. OMG I could eat these 3 times a day 7 days a week. lmao Thankfully I don't or I'd break the scales in no time. Course if our budget gets any tighter...........I just may get my hearts desire and get to eat them all I want. *sigh*