Why? What did I do so wrong? VENT

LittleDudesMom

Have you tried to apply for Section 8 housing? I own a nice apartment building that was rehabed with low interest loans and grant money from our local housing department. All 18 units are mod rehab section 8. Most of the lessees are single moms who work part-time. Most of them also qualify for free or low cost daycare.

With Section 8 housing, you usally have a little better type of neighbor since the rent you pay is based on your income (opposite of public housing where you pay nothing and are not required to work or pay a cent). We have some folks who paid us a dollar a month when they first moved in (with the housing dept paying the remaining amount) and who now pay a much larger chunk because they were given help at the beginning and able to improve their circumstances. There are very strict guidelines with the housing department about keeping the property up and what is and is not allowed on the property.

I'm not sure if someone mentioned the United Way or not yet. That's another option for you.

You really have to cut loose your expectation that family is going to help you or you will be continually disappointed. You will find a way - life is a state a mind. Move forward with confidence in yourself and your ability to provide a future for you and your son by yourself.

What did you major in? Have you applied with any temp agencies? What about your state employment office or the job postings at your college?

Hang in there - it will happen. Be confident and don't give up - keep pecking at it. Pick that phone back up on Monday and try your best to arrange some housing and daycare. You have two months before you need to move. Devote your time to finding a way rather than wasting your time on family. That's not harsh - it's the reality that you have given us.

Sharon

F

flutterbee

ILMS -

Go into the office, ask for an application, fill it out and turn it in.

Yes, they help you if you are on welfare, but you have to sign up first.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I am not familiar with NY AT ALL but here, we have some local groups called FreeCycle and KwikSwap on yahoo groups. They were started for people wanting to buy or sell used items, however, there have been several ads over the past few years for people looking for live-in help, apartments, or even odd-jobs until they found something more permanent.
Again, I'm not at all familiar with your area, but many times here, anyway, if folks can help, they have.

F

flutterbee

ILMS -

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I'm not sure how it works here...I know some companies only hire through DJFS (Dept of Job and Family Services - our social services agency) and some people apply with them, but I don't know if they have to be receiving assistance.

What about the unemployment agency? I know you don't qualify for benefits, but here you can go there to look for job postings. I think. That's what I've been told anyway.

What about temp agencies? They can usually get you a job pretty fast. It might not be in your field, but it will give you some income while you continue to look. A lot of companies around here (bigger corporations) only hire through temp agencies. Once you complete a certain amount of time, you are eligible to be hired permanently. It can be a good way to get your foot in the door with a good company.

busywend

Welfare will approve you for emergency assistance since you will be homeless.

Start the application process now. You may have to speed it up in a couple weeks with the urgent need, but at least the process has begun.

klmno

Maybe, just maybe, if you apply they'll get your name out there and help before it's determined that you're ineligible for the other. When a person is really trying, occassionally there's someone in the system who'll lend a hand- but they have to go through the paperwork still.