Wild night at my house!

muttmeister

So this afternoon about 5 o'clock we got an inch of rain in a short period of time. Considering that the heat index had been over 100 I was glad for the rain and the cool down that came with it.
So tonight about 10 I was sitting reading my book and another storm came up so I dutifully closed windows, etc. It did get a little wild but we were not in a tornado watch area but sure enough in the middle of the worst of the storm the tornado siren went off so I got both dogs on their leashes and rounded up my cell phone and my flash light and headed for the basement (it is a partial basement; almost more like a cellar). When I got there, THERE WAS 5 INCHES OF WATER IN THE BASEMENT.:sick: I've lived in this house since 1983 and this is the first time I've even had water in the basement!
So the dogs and I stood on the steps waiting to see if we should swim in the basement or blow away. The siren sounded for about 10 or 15 minutes and all that time I could hear water pouring in. Finally they turned off the siren so we came upstairs; I couldn't see any damage except for rain. I did go out and check the rain gauge and we had about 3 inches more on top of the 1 we had earlier. There is a lake where there is not supposed to be one in the draw behind my house; I only remember that happening once since I've lived here.
So difficult child#2 is on the volunteer fire department so he went out to find out what was going on and come to find out, nobody knows why the siren went off. They tried to turn it off at the county seat where they are supposed to turn it on; didn't work. They tried to turn it off one town over which is one of the switches. Didn't work. They tried to turn it off here; didn't work. Finally somebody climbed up the pole and cut the wire to get it to go off. So here I was standing on the stairs for nothing. I'll be my dogs think I'm really nuts.

susiestar

Roll With It
Sounds like some wild weather!

Just think, if it hadn't been for that siren you might have gone another day or more until you found the basement swimming pool.

I hope you can borrow a pump to get the water out. If no one you know has one you can borrow maybe you can rent one at an equipment rental place. Just be careful you don't get mold!!!

I am glad you are safe and sound.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Glad you're safe and the siren was a false alarm.

Horrible about the water though. OMG so much rain in so short a time. Hope you can get it pumped out ok.

Hugs

Fran

Former desparate mom
Yikes! about the rain and the flooding. I haven't had a basement in quite a few years but I can imagine how awful it is to clean up after all that flooding.

I called our Hurricane Ike insurance adjuster yesterday who told me he was dealing with the weather/insurance claims in Nebraska. Guess he won't be going home any time soon.

Stay safe.

Lothlorien

Sorry about the mess! Do you have a sump pump? Fortunately, we have French drains and a sump pump, but it's been working overtime lately. We're soggy up here.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I can sympathize! We have a small garage downstairs and it has never before flooded, but did last week all the way into the laundry room!

muttmeister

Well, things are calmer this morning. I have a couple of tree branches to pick up; the swimming pool overflowed (it is an above ground one). My neighbor's tree got hit by lightning and is down in the alley but the neighbors have the alley blocked so you can't use it anyway; in any case the tree is not my problem. The basement is partially dirt floor and all of the water seems to have soaked in. I haven't decided if I should do anything about it. The only thing in the basement is the water heater and it is fine. I don't want mold but I'm hoping it will be OK. It is supposed to be in the high 90's with a dew point of 84 today so I think I'll just sit by the air conditioner. Good excuse to be lazy.:tongue:

Star*

call 911........call 911
Maybe it would be a good idea to get some cheap bleach and spray it on the dirt in the cellar so that if there is standing water it won't get stagnant? (wear a mask)

And get some K-9 Swimmies and a rubber raft for next time. :tongue: