Williamsburg, VA

N

Nomad

AT the end of April, I am going to Williamsburg, VA for a short trip. I wont have a lot of time.
Who has been there before?
IT is a semi surprise semi last minute for a special occassion.
I wanted to go along time ago, and I recall buying a book on it....gotta go look for it when I get finished typing this.

IN the mean time, who has been there? What stands out in your mind as a must see/do and of course a place that I must go to eat? LOL!

Thank you.

klmno

Colonial Williamsburg is a pretty neat place to walk around and there are places to eat there. Busch Gardens is in the area and it is pretty good-I don't know if you are taking kids or not but there are many websites that give lists of things (restaurants) in the area, and you should be able to narrow it down, depending on if this is a family trip, romantic trip, or "get away by yourself" trip. There are also some neat shops in Williamsburg.

Oh, if you like "history lessons", Jamestown and Yorktown are in the vicinity. They are pretty neat and really show a lot about the colonial times.

nvts

We went there when I was 9 and I remember them walking a herd (?) of sheep through the town, the candle shop where they were dipping candles and buying a slate like the kids there used to use for school. Oh and a clay pipe.

Very cool, very educational and beautiful to look at.

Check out their website!

Beth

PS: Have a great time!

LittleDudesMom

Nomad,

Williamsburg is pretty close to where I live. Actually easy child is going shopping with her best bud and her mom tomorrow after school. Apparently some new designers are having a grand opening at the outlet center!

Here's a link:
http://www.visitwilliamsburg.com/index.aspx

Look into deals on the walking tour including lunch at one of the historic taverns. You can start your day out at the travel center and a bus will take you to the historic area and return you to your car at the end of the day.

It's definately a get out and explore kind of place. If you have time, Jamestown and Yorktown are close and worth a look. Make sure you check out the ships. Also, a drive down the colonial parkway is a must. It is breathtaking this time of the year.

Sharon

tinamarie1

We recently took my mother in law to Williamsburg. The place that I enjoyed the most is

Riverwalk Landing
328 Water Street
Yorktown, VA

This is not far from Williamsburg at all. They have specialty shops right on the river front and we ate at the (only) restaurant down there, it was reeeeally good. I can't remember the name of it. But it has a beautiful view of the river and we had Crab Bisque (yuuummmeee) and a big crusty turkey sandwich. The prices were like $10 a piece I think. There is a nice gift shop attached too.

DDD

You'll love it. It's been forty years since I was there but it is and was REALLY neat! DDD

Star*

call 911........call 911
I got my Masters at the college of William and Mary -

(no not really) lol

GO MAKE CANDLES. Enjoy your trip.

DammitJanet

Williamsburg is fantastic! I was born and raised in Richmond so we went there quite often. I think that is why I am so good with Revolutionary War history...lol. Between being born in Richmond and my parents born in Boston...I had to know all that.

Make sure you go see the video tour where they show Patrick Henry making his famous speech. Doing the walking tour is great too. They will be having re-enactments I am sure and that is really interesting. I cant remember what tavern it is but one I loved had great welsh rarebit...lol.

Have a great time and do take the time to go to Jamestown...its so worth it.

N

Nomad

Thank you everyone for your replies...which it seems now I will have to save.
Grrrrr. I spent the entire day yesterday in the ER with difficult child. She had a pain in her side. They did many xrays and could not determine a cause and we were sent home late in the evening.
husband decided to cancel the trip because we couldn't chance that this would happen while we were away and she does not have anyone to help her and she would call us repeatedly or burden our son, etc. You guys know the drill.

The bright side...
We have rescheduled for The Fourth of July weekend.
I am hoping they have some festivities for this time of year.

by the way, I am seriously tired this morning and am behind in my work. Trying to think positively and get back into the swing of things....

Thank you again for your help...will print and read. :crazy1:

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Sorry you had to cancel, but certainly know the feeling......July 4th should be a fantastic time to visit, however. It also gives you more time to plan your activities!.....Have a great trip.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Colonial Williamsburg is wonderful. It's a step back in time. I took my students there every year.

Enjoy your trip!!

Abbey

TerryJ2

Ack! So sorry.
Nomad, I live close by. PM me and we can exchange cell ph #s and I can try to meet up with-you sometime in the future.
Terry

N

Nomad

Terry...I pm'd you! Thank you for letting me know!
Can anyone PM me a phone number for Perry who use to come to this board?
Thank you.