Wind!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
This is the 4th attempt to post.

We have high wind warnings out. Expected between 35mph and 55mph. I see a storm gonna be rolling in later. Oh fun. Already have lost power several times. Darrin nearly was blown away in the yard while we were doing yard work.

Blew my huge heavy wooden back gate right open and let Betsy out of the yard. Molly told on her by barking. lol But Betsy went to the porch instead of running off and wanted inside. Fed Rowdy early because no way of knowing how bad it'll be later. We've got old maples bending over sideways now. And I've already got one tree dead in the neighbors yard ready to come down.........wonder if this will be the storm that takes it. Stupid people should've cut it down long ago. It's gonna smack right into husband's car and the front of my house if it goes.

So much for all the work they've done on the powerlines around here. We're still losing power.:mad:

I guess Ike is passing thru here too?? Course I guess it's no longer called Ike now that's it's inland. So if you don't see me, I'm probably powerless....again.:faint:

Did have to stop the yard work though. :D

Andy

I am picturing the farm on Wizard of Oz with the tornado bearing down. You do know that straight line winds can cause just as much trouble as tornados.

So, what is your plan for lights out? You must almost have it down pat? You are just being tested you know! Once you get it down, no more lights out. LOL!

You stay safe also. I think we can still call the storm system Ike. The new term is, "I've been Iked!"

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Batten down the hatches! Hold on tight!

Hope Tourette's Syndrome Ike passes through quickly and spares the dead tree (or at least your car and house front!)

We get winds like that every year starting around late September and continuing until February -- but they usually hot and dry. I've lost a fence twice in that weather. I just love it on trash pickup day (NOT)!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I was powerless shortly after I posted until right before husband left for work around 4 am. Long enough to ruin everything in the frig and freezer.:mad:

Like I've got the extra money to replace it all. Maybe the freezer stuff is ok.........I'm afraid to check. Just checked. For once being lazy about making ice has paid off. I had a huge bag of ice in there. It's still frozen. :D So my freezer stuff is ok. And I hadn't bought groceries yet, so frig stuff doesn't amount to too much. Except I'll be ticked at throwing out the milk. We didn't open the frig all during the black out but well........it's eggs and I'm not trusting it.

Cincinnati lost power, Dayton (I think), Wilmington (where easy child works), and every little town around on the map in that triangle. Since we're back on, I'm assuming cincy is too. The other places are all still out as far as I know.

The winds here sure seemed worse than 60 mph at times. I'm in an old sturdy Victorian. Let's just say no one lingered upstairs during the worst of it. You could feel the house shuddering in the wind. Tree in neighbors yard lost some major branches, but thankfully they landed in the yard and road, not on our house or husband's car. I don't know how it stayed upright. I know husband and I were chasing our outside stuff all over the neighborhood and we weren't alone. Even stuff we had battened down was taking flight. We finally got it to stay put in the back yard.

Reminded me of a tornado. And as I've lived thru more than my fair share.......that's not really a good thing. One long endless tornado lasting hours instead of minutes.:faint: I'll have to get out today and attempt to inspect the roof, make sure it's ok.

Emergency sirens were endless from the time it started. Rowdy gave up howling at them. The dog across the alley kept whimpering and crying, he was scared to death.

Evidently we're the only ones on the block who were prepared for losing power. No reason for it. We'd just lost power the other day. Fools could've run out and bought candles and the like. But our camp lanterns lit up the house so much we were getting nasty comments from neighbors. Believe me, I'll be restocking for the next black out.

Checked on mother in law.....she was ok. She has lanterns too and these wonderful wall lights that charge in her outlets while there is power and run on battery when there isn't. The neighbors on either side of her (both young couples) were watching over her.

All stores in town are closed that had food stuffs. Including walmart, krogers, ect. They lost all refirigorated items. So it looks like it'll be awhile before I can replace things like milk, eggs and cheese.:tongue:

So. Minor PITA stuff as far as damage. Could've been worse. I may actually watch the news at noon to see what's going on. (imagine that lol)

Oh, and Nichole woke up today to find Aubrey's face covered in blisters. Did not pass go and took her immediately to the ER. Had to go to the one here as we had power by then but Wilmington didn't and were only taking disaster related patients. Baby has impetigo. Lovely. (have I mentioned I hate daycare?)

Hope everyone else in the path of this thing came thru ok too.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Glad you're okay, if only a little shaken! The eggs might still be o.k. I'd crack one open and if it doesn't smell... or if you plop the whole egg in the shell into a glass or cup of water, if it floats, it's probably no good. Eggs can sit at room temperature for a surprisingly long time. If you decide to crack them open to check, just have your fry pan ready!

DammitJanet

Glad you survived. I was going to pass on the egg thing too. Eggs are not as perishable as you think. We are notorious for leaving them out on the counter and they are still fine. Do remember where they come from!

F

flutterbee

Oh, Lisa, be glad you got your power back. They're saying that it will take up to 7 days for some to get their power back on.

F

flutterbee

My stepdad works for AEP and forwarded this email:

AEP Ohio wind storm outage restoration

AEP Ohio continues to assess the widespread damage caused by a major wind storm that swept through the company's service territory and throughout the state on Sunday, Sept. 14. At the height of the storm, AEP Ohio estimates that more than 650,000 AEP Ohio customers from western Ohio to the Ohio Valley are without power and approximately 300,000 are located in central Ohio.

This number has increased throughout the day as customers have reached the company to report their outages. AEP Ohio crews are working with contract crews and support from other utilities to help restore power as quickly and as safely as possible. In addition, more than 600 forestry workers are being brought in to help cut trees and remove debris from power lines. The additional resources in both line and forestry will more than double AEP Ohio's current restoration complement. AEP Ohio appreciates the patience of its customers as it works to clear downed power lines and restore power.

AEP Ohio is working to restore power to all parts of the state, focusing first on emergency services and main-line circuits that serve the largest number of customers. More than 280 of these main-line circuits lost service completely due to the storm. Of those, 139 circuits have been restored and work continues on the restoration of the remaining 144 circuits. In addition, crews continue to work on additional circuits partially damaged by the storm. Based on past experiences with these events, the company is estimating service restoration times of up to seven days or longer for certain parts of the state that were the hardest hit. However, the company anticipates making significant progress in its restoration efforts over the next few days.
  • Treat all downed power lines as "live" -- energized and dangerous.
  • Drive with an extra measure of caution due to numerous traffic light outages, and roadway debris and downed lines and trees. Treat an inoperable traffic light as a four-way stop.
  • To report a new outage, call 1-800-277-2177
  • Read "What to Do When the Lights Go Out" (PDF, 123 KB).

This doesn't account for the Ohio Edison customers.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Heather..........doesn't surprise me. AEP is much faster than DP&L at getting service back. I know from experience. And I've noticed the latter's customers are most of the one's still without power. (at least right around here)

We're the only side of town that has power as it turns out. Not sure why that would be except the town is wired weird.

Winds in this county were clocked at 80 + mph. Guess that's why I felt like I was sitting in a tornado. :faint: We're on a level 3 emergency when easy child checked a short while ago.

Personally, I'm very thankful for the power. All batteries in town sold out and other stores that would have them are closed.

All my food survived. :D yea!!! But many are now having to do the ice chest/ice combo.

husband is "on call" at work. (due to employees that can't get in) easy child is "on call" at work, she said the ER was flooded to overflowing all night last night. Many panicked people on oxygen hoping to get hooked up via hospital. But hospital can't unless they admitted, so those people would go back home. easy child did say she got a guy on her floor, he's on a heart pump waiting for a transplant.......was on his way home from one of the university hosps and found out their power was out. hospital did let him stay unadmitted up in her unit so he could plug in his machine. I explained to easy child that they had to turn the others away because while the oxygen need can be serious, unless they were at that moment in life threatening conditions hospital couldn't "help" them that way. They're supposed to have back up tanks at home and are on the first in line list for power restoration. So was not a fun night for her.

I had husband go get KFC. lol One of few places open. I'm too tired to care about cooking tonight.:faint: It may be the first time in a long time I go to bed early. *yawn*

skeeter

Our power was off for about 10 hours. Our neighborhood looks like a disaster zone. Lots of big old trees, now lots of big old piles of wood. House 2 doors down had a huge tree fall on garage end of their house, another at the end of the street has a 100ft high tree leaning on the front of it.
I made it to work this morning (people just do NOT get that an intersection with no traffic lights becomes a 4 way stop!!) and we had power there, but several of our facilities didn't. Schools were closed today and will be tomorrow.

Could be worse. Friends in Missouri had 16 inches of rain over the weekend.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
people just do NOT get that an intersection with no traffic lights becomes a 4 way stop!!

Ain't it the truth!

Skeeter I'm glad you're ok. :D ((hugs)) Been waiting for you to check in. Figured you'd lost power. (not many didn't)