Wine Recommendations

bby31288

HI all,

My difficult child is dating a new boy. Or should I say man. He is very stable, they are taking things very slow. He is coming Thursday for my youngest daughters graduation dinner. We are having it catered at our house.

difficult child is very nervous, first this young man comes from a very rich family. He is very nice and does not flaunt it. difficult child has let him know that we are a normal family. In a normal house. He says that it doesn't matter.

However I asked her to check with him what he might like to drink with our dinner on Thursday. He told her he likes White Wine. Sooo my friends, I do not drink wine. What is a good White Wine that is good, not over the top, but not in a box ;) if you know what I mean. Can anyone recommend something, about $25 a bottle?

Help??

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
You don't need to spend that much. One nice white wine is Cupcake Sauvignon Blanc and another is Orvieto Pinot Grigio, and if you truly want to spend $20 you can go with Santa Marguerite *I think that's the name*, also a Pinot Grigio. All very nice with dinner, especially if your having chicken or fish.

S

Signorina

Kendall Jackson Chardonnay, La Crema Chardonnay are both great -$18-$20

S

Signorina

Yes, white is chilled. Chardonnay tends to be a full bodied white, Pinot Grigio is a crisp white, Sauvignon Blanc is a bit green and fresh. None of them are sweet-but stay away from Zinfandels & Reislings which tend to be sweet.

What are you serving for dinner? If it's a traditional meat/poultry/fish & potato type meal -I would go with a Chardonnay. Pinot Grigio goes well with pasta dishes, sushi, marinated pork, etc. Sauvignon Blanc is good with BBQ, Asian dishes, etc. just in my opinion

bby31288

Lololol. Is a buffet. I had to pick 4. They are delivering. I guess I'm just worried about white. That's what he likes. But yes there will be roast beef and chicken.

witzend

Any $20 Malbec would be a good choice. It's newish enough that they will think she has some idea of a good wine. Remember, mark-up on wine in a restaurant is about 600%, so a $20 bottle could easily go for $120 in a restaurant. That or a "Petit Syrah". Tell her to ask for either at a shop with a good wine collection, even a good grocer that has a Sommelier, and she'll be fine. Both Malbecs and Petit Syrahs have a light mouth.

Just be sure that she understands that they likely will not open the bottle while she is there. That's custom to someone who has a good cellar, and she should not feel insulted. If they like her, they will invite her to dinner sometime, and perhaps open the bottle for her.