Winter survival tips for Abbey

Star*

call 911........call 911
My best tip -

S*UCK IT UP
ADMIT HAPPILY YOU ARE LIVING IN THE LAND OF THE ICICLES
BUILD A SNOWMAN
MAKE A SNOW ANGEL
GET A PAIR OF SECOND HAND ICE SKATES - WELL IF YOU'RE GOING TO BE COLD YOU MAY AS WELL LEARN A NEW SKILL
LEARN HOW TO SHARPEN SKATES IN YOUR father in law's GARAGE AND SAVE THE MONEY TO PAY FOR GAS TO GO LIVE BACK IN THE DESERT

What part of Brisk-Consin wasn't clear? :tongue:

And as a last resort - Write to Richard Gere and entice him to come to Wisconsin. Then write Suz and tell her that he's going to be there at your home, in your living room (also freezing with you) and wait for her to "burn" a path to your door - the afterburner effect from her passion for RG should warm you and your home well into July. :laugh:

trinityroyal

Oh...I thought of another one

8) Snow pants
They're warm, waterproof, and make a fabulous swep-swep-swep noise as you walk (sorry...that's the Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) talking). Best thing, they keep you WARM and DRY when you're out doing stuff in the snow. I wear them when I'm shovelling the driveway (we have a snow blower, but husband bought it so it's as big as a Volkswagen and I just can't push it), or romping in the yard with Little easy child.

DammitJanet

Admittedly I dont live in the frozen north but Tony does work outdoors all winter so we have had to learn how to dress him for the cold we do get.

Layers. Lots of them.

If you have a military surplus store nearby you can get the best long johns on earth. They are made for the cold. They may be in military colors but who cares!

I second the vote for a heated mattress pad. Also for getting a large supply in of those throw away hand warmers in the hunting section. You can keep those in the car and house to stuff in your pockets and keep hands warm. Or feet should you get cold feet. They are pretty cheap. Tony takes them with him to the job site on cold days.

Oh...a heated throw for putting over your lap when you are sitting at the computer. They are like small electric blankets. I had one and gave my dad and step mom a set for Xmas one year and they use them while watching TV.

trinityroyal

Oh...and another one.

Whatever snow boots you've got, make sure that they're nice and roomy at the toes. Don't pile on too many pairs of socks. A thin pair (thinsulate or something, to keep moisture off your skin), and then a thicker warm pair...cotton or wool should do it.

The key is to make sure you have an air cushion in the toe of the boot. This will warm up and you won't get frozen toes. The trick is not to get cold in the first place.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ok. I'm jumping in my car right now. Crud. husband has the car. Snow pants? Hats? Long johns? (Even silk?):angrygirl:
I am SOOO not making this move well. I'm so homesick. MB, if I don't mapquest it right, I might end up in Florida instead of Nevada. I guess you'd qualify that as a wrong turn some where.:bag:

I don't even know where anything is anymore. husband has changed to multiple bank accounts our finances, insurance, yadda. (Stop reading at this point.)

I have a 'test' today for manager school. Now, someone would think this would be a simple test for a grocery store. No. Here's the list: (This will help me study.)

Store name. (I think I got that one.)

Store Director

Trainer

Managers (there are 33)

BIG manager (Kristine, who goes by Stella...can you give me a break here?)

4 qualities of being the store culture (friendly, clean store, quality products and enjoyable shopping.)

Major job description - front line customer service and accuracy.

Loss prevention - always receive a receipt, stickers on non packing items, BOB (which is a whole new topic), friends and family not allowed to do any transactions with me. That will be lovely when everyone is inter-related here.

Attributes of great customer service - Knowledge of product, personality, conversation, store policies, attitude (which is getting sketchy at this point) special services, and ALWAYS SAY, "MY PLEASURE."

10 Tile Rule - always greet someone within 10 feet of you. Why? I'd get sick of it 30 feet into the store.

DYFET - Did you find everything today?

CHANT - Customers have a name, too. (I actually like that one.)

When should you use Mr./Mrs./Ms? Well, apparently it is if they appear younger than you. Yeah. I'm the best judge of age.

B.O.B. - Bottom of the basket. They lost an estimated 13 million last year with things on the bottom of the cart that were not tendered. They have little games that they do to help you be aware. I was the winner last week!! Actually, it was me trying to flop down 12 packs of soda to find they fell to the floor. They put two carts in the hundreds that don't have any bottom. I can spy those things like an eagle now.

LAST - Listen, apologize, solve and thank.

Boomerang Theory - all the above will 'bring them back.'

TCBY - Triple counting back your Change.

Counterfeit Money - black no good...brown ok. (Geez.)

I could go on and on, which I typically do. WIC, handling checks, gift cards, tabs (I never knew they had tabs at a grocery store), etc.

One of the funny things is we are not allowed to accept a check for a town outside of a 60 mile radius. Ummm...I just moved here and there is a town every 10 minutes. But, they are good and have a map that I can pull out.

I won't even go into the alcohol/tobacco stuff. That was an entire day of training.

If you've made it this far in reading, you're a saint.:beautifulthing:

Now I'm going to Mapquest.

Abbey

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Big bag of kitty litter! Weight over axles helps traction and when you are stuck it's great over snow. You must learn the "rocking" technique to get unstuck in the snow. Rev engine in drive, then rev in reverse, rock the car.......(nothing like rock the vote)........This is really hard to do with a stick shift (manual drive with clutch). Dress in layers, preferably long sleeve and get some polar fleece vests....they are great to put on and when you start with the hot flashes you can easily unzip......Welcome to the tundra.......

meowbunny

BOB?? I was wondering why a grocery store was selling battery operated boy friends. Thought maybe you had to check them to be sure no one had snuck in a battery or two to try them out. (Guess it's my turn to go to the corner?)

And as to finding Florida -- you should have no problem. Just start following a car loaded down with stuff and two old folks driving (the snow white hair or bald with wrinkles will be your clue) and follow them. Gotta love those snowbirds! Once you hit the Florida stateline, I'll come guide you the rest of the way.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Battery operated boyfriends? OMG!!!:musicdance::rofl::rofl:

I could be a millionaire with that concept. Oh...it's your's. I actually think they have 'things' like that now. Won't go into details.

Abbey

Star*

call 911........call 911
B.O.B. - Bottom of the basket. They lost an estimated 13 million last year with things on the bottom of the cart that were not tendered. They have little games that they do to help you be aware. I was the winner last week!! Actually, it was me trying to flop down 12 packs of soda to find they fell to the floor. They put two carts in the hundreds that don't have any bottom. I can spy those things like an eagle now.

Nice to know - I bet this is BS - 13 million? Come on . Did they make YOU feel guilty for THEIR having hired unconscious employees that didn't do THEIR job? *yawn.......what else......

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Stay hydrated. It is possible to get dehydrated working or playing out side in our winters. You don't necessarily feel thirsty, so remember to drink regularly. It's not true that you have to drink water or non-caffienated beverages. They work as well.

Remember that central heat is very drying for the skin and hair. Get a humidifier and remember to use a good moisturizer.

Best way to use the moisturizer is to apply it to damp skin after bathing or showering. It helps lock in the water.

Moisturizer doesn't have to cost a lot of money. They all contain the same active ingredients. Pick something that you can bear the smell of and slather it on.

Same deal with hair products. Suave makes a good line of conditioners that are very affordable.

WalMart's Equate line are also good.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
Josh Holloway in thermal boxers chained to your bed, oh my I am getting toasty just thinking about him!
:hot:

katya02

Solace
I missed the beginning/context here, but ... snow and lots of it, I take it? Cold? I suggest a good parka if you're really far north - length between hip and knee, with an elasticized closure at the waist to prevent nasty cold breezes coming up from under ... also elasticized inner wrist wind-stoppers in the sleeves. And the warmest boots you can buy, which means removable liners that can be dried separately from the waterproof outers; and a hat. The parka should have a hood, preferably one that can flip forward to protect your face from the wind. If you stop the wind, you'll be snug.

An airtight woodstove is wonderful in winter! The radiant heat can't be beat.

If you're far enough north that the snow stays clean (i.e. it doesn't melt into that nasty black slush), winter can be the most beautiful season. Any sunshine will be reflected and magnified many times by the snow - great for SAD!

A few thoughts gleaned from living (in years past) in Moosonee (James Bay, southern tip of Hudson Bay).

Andy

This morning as I was contemplating facing yet another winter, I comforted myself that I didn't live in other natural challenging places:

Tornado Alley: Blows your house away

Hurricane Belts: Washes your house away

So, Snow areas you just get buried in snow that will eventually melt (in 3 -4 months). Your house is still there. You are safe in your home in a blizzard.

Blizzards are God's way of telling people to take a day off. When you are forced to stay home don't stress about not getting to work - you need to be safe - just enjoy the day(s).