Winter Weather- Check In Please

H

HaoZi

So far I'm seeing less snow than expected, the main thing seems to be the wind causing drifting snow and bad road visibility.

Mattsmom277

Argh! Winter storm warning in effect, the snow is already coming down and the winds picking up. Should get about 40 cm's of snow today and overnight, expected to go into tomorrow so maybe no school (easy child is already crossing fingers for her first snow day, since nearby areas have had many already but so far no need here). Heat was on all night and woke up to it freezing in here, brr!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Snow...........about an inch so far. Ice from the rain before the snow is under the snow which made it like skating to take Molly out to do her business......... Good thing I know how to skate and Molly doesn't require a leash. lol But looks like road crews got some salt down right as the snow started so cars at the moment are only having snow to contend with...... Bad thing is our town already warned us at the beginning of the season that they couldn't afford enough salt to handle a normal winter. They were rationing the salt the last snowfall (about 4 inches). They're leaving side streets alone already.

On a more cheerful note......... It's mighty pretty outside.:snowing:

Mom2oddson

easy child is an hour south of St Paul MN. He says even the Wal-Mart is closed. I tell him I think it's great - with nothing to do and finals on Mon-Tues, he has plenty of study time. He doesn't like that. I just hope it's all gone when he heads home on Thursday.

Here.....RAIN! The 2 counties not on flood warning are on flood watch. The weather radar starts with light green, then dark green, then yellow, orange, and red. The yellow and orange bands are parked over my house. The gutters can't handle it, water is coming over the sides of the gutters. And it's not supposed to slow down until late Monday. The rivers are starting to flood, the mt snow is starting to melt. Avalanche warnings are out. The ground is so past saturation levels that if we even have a little breeze during the week, trees will go down and there will be no power...again.

brother in law lives in the town that was destroyed a few years ago. At least he lives on high ground. Last time we went through rain like this, I-5 got flooded out and was closed. Which meant no food was being delivered to the stores and no gas was getting to the gas stations. So, I filled the cars yesterday and also did the grocery shopping. I'm ready.

Keep warm or dry in my case. Hope everyone stays safe!

T

TeDo

We ended up with a foot of snow and I have a drift as tall as one of my sons (over 4 ft) blocking the way from my house to my garage. The temp right now is +1 with a windchill of -20. They are talking about RECORD lows here tonight which means school will probably start late. They won't make kids stand at the bus stops when it is that cold. Being cooped up is now getting to my kids, have to assign them to different rooms. They need to go back to school so they can be apart. Good luck to those of you that are in the path of this storm, whether it is snow or rain. Keep us posted.

H

HaoZi

Snow has started up here again, I think it heads Hounddog's way after here. Didn't top off the gas tank, but it wasn't too low, either. Luckily most places I go are within a 5 mile range of home so most of the gas I burn in winter is warming the thing up. Grew up in hurricane country, so I have an inherent tendency to stock up on non-perishables anyway (okay, maybe too much!). I guess the good thing about it being cold is that if the power goes out I can always stick stuff on the balcony to stay cold, right? lol

flutterby

Fly away!
We're only supposed to get 2-4 inches by tonight, and we already have 2 inches. The blowing snow is supposed to happen tonight. My mom is stuck in Chicago - her flight was canceled.

witzend

The wind is blowing a gale this afternoon. Less rain than expected, but by the look of the dark skies, that will come soon enough.

lmf64

We wound up with about a foot of snow and the winds were bad. They pulled the plows off tghe city streets even. On a side note, don't try to drive if you can't see where you're driving. On the way home from celebrating Christmas with my family last night I drove into a snow drift, got so stuck it wouldn't move then it died. We're not sure if it's the timing belt (Please don't let it be this) or something else (please let it be something easy and cheap to fix since I have to have my parents pay for the repairs) ARGH. If it's not one thing it's a dozen others

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
We got about fifteen inches of snow on top of the 5" already down. We've got 3-4 foot drifts alongside my trailer and before they plowed out the streets in the park and my plow guy did my driveway, the roads were drifted over.

Right now, the snow has stopped but it is bitterly cold with below zero windchills. They are calling for windchills to 25 below overnight and into tomorrow until 10AM.

The cat is going out, peeing under my truck and rushing back into the house.

It's sunny out but the winds are so high that visibility is still bad. It looks pretty from inside, but being out in it is a bear.

Wiped Out

Staff member
It took me an hour and 40 minutes to shovel this morning. I can hardly wait for the plow to go through-that should be a ton of fun!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Snowing like mad here..................already about 2 1/2 inches and now the roads are covered. It's getting pretty cold only 20 degrees. No wind yet. BIG flakes. Guess it's started. Still think it's pretty. I doubt seriously I'll feel the same way in the morning. lol

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Well, it was like 80 here today - so hard to get into the Xmas spirit when it is that warm - last week it was really really cold (for us anyway) and was raining.

Marcie

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
80 degrees Marcie? wow must be nice.

We got maybe 6 inches total..........unless it snows more today, but the sun is out so I'm not guessing we're getting more. Schools were closed. Not surprising as we're rural.

Not as bad as it could have been, which is always a good thing. No winds either. Maybe we missed that part? (am not complaining about that at all!)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
About 7 yesterday morning it was barely spitting snow. By 11 it was going pretty good, stopped for a while then more. I think we got about 3" total (more like 6" on my deck, but what do I know).

The worst part was the frozen rain from Saturday, with snow on top. I live on a very slight hill - not much - but the main incline is out of my driveway. husband pushed my car up so I could come to work. No plow at all, of course. Main road we live off of might have been plowed... Might. Getting to work was horrible. 7.1 miles normally takes 11-12 minutes including the stop at the guard shack at the gate. 45 minutes, after husband got me moving.

Kids out of school today... Surprise, surprise. Was a 2-hour delay when I left for work, closed by the time I got here.

Really, it wouldn't be that bad, but the only plow I saw was - BEHIND ME - sitting right on my bumper. If he'd been in FRONT of me I'd have cut at least 15 minutes off the commute. But they have put down NO SALT in my city. I don't get it.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Centerville schools were open. Aubrey still had preschool. Nichole said they had the roads pretty clear by about 8 am............... I was surprised actually as I've known Centerville to usually go along with Dayton.....as well as the other suburbs in that area. Used to seem like as soon as Dayton called it everyone else followed suit. lol

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Oh... They stopped that when year-round school in Dayton used ALL their "calamity days" in August due to heat a couple of years back.

I wonder, too - because I have friends near Centerville who said their roads are impassible...