Wish me luck (moving Yuck!)

Californiablonde

We are moving into a new apartment tomorrow and both difficult children will be there. I have a feeling they won't be much help. They can help me carry stuff but who knows what their attitudes will be like. It can change from minute to minute. We are also giving away our kitty cat. We have had him for six years, since he was a kitten. It is going to be a very emotional day for difficult child 1 and me. difficult child 2 will be indifferent. We are giving him up for adoption and it is going to be quite traumatic for my cat (Who hates strangers) and especially for difficult child 1. They are very close. I am dreading tomorrow. I just want to get it over with!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Awww, gentle hugs to you and difficult child 1 for the loss of your kitty. Are you giving him up because you can't have cats where you're moving?

I hope you make a little plan for the day - take breaks now and then to give the kids a chance to stretch and check out the new place (all work and no play will make it tougher to enlist their help!). Give them smaller tasks that will prevent them from becoming bored or distracted. I wouldn't let mine do a task together - they would fight, but maybe yours are better working together?

Best of luck in your new home!

Californiablonde

We are giving away our kitty cat because he pees everywhere~carpets, blankets, comforters, towels, clothes, you name it. difficult child 2 isn't the best around him either. He doesn't know how to be gentle. He's not mean about it, but he's socially clueless when it comes to humans and animals. I think our next pet will be a nice big doggy. To answer your question, both difficult children are TERRIBLE together. They fight, hit, scream, kick, etc. I will try and keep them as seperated as I possibly can!

InsaneCdn

When we moved in... the kids had to help first with the "whole house" stuff (LR furniture, dishes, etc.)
THEN... we moved the "big stuff" into their rooms (bed, dresser).
At which point - they had to move their own boxes into their own rooms, and start unpacking.
They were welcome to STAY there (i.e encouraged to do so) unless we called them specifically by name because we needed to borrow their arms and legs.

Californiablonde

An adoption agency is taking him. This way I know he will not be killed. I am not going to tell them about the pee problem. Whoever takes him will have to find out the hard way. Who knows? Maybe he won't do it in the new place. Anyway, it's anonymous so I don't have to worry about them giving the cat back because they no longer want him.

Star*

call 911........call 911
BEST OF LUCK TODAY CALIFORNIA!!!!!!!!!! I"m so terribly sorry about the kitteh!!!!!!! I'm goign to send all my GOOD JUJU vibes and my HOUSE ELF for a smooth transition and fairies to LORD over the difficult children......whenever things get rough? Just reach up, grab one, shake it over the kid -------and count to ten. THIS is why I can count to ten in TEN languages. (not kidding) After a while, English, Spanish, German, .......just get old - so you have to find NEW languages to count in...hahah. (been through quite a lot of Pixies too) - I'm not very popular with the Pixie union.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I think the move must have wiped her out!?

Hellowwwwwwwwwww K<AAAAAAAAAAAAAALIFORNIA??????? (tap, tap)

Huh..........Moves into a new California neighborhood and gets a 90201 attitude to go with it..........huh! (passes tissue for new snotty neighborhood diggs) lol.

MAYBeeeeee she'll come and talk to us common people .............someday........dahling!

Hope it's all gone really well for you! :fingerscrossed:

Californiablonde

Hellllooooo everybody! I don't have a working computer at home so I had to wait until today (Monday) to post. The move went pretty much as expected. Both difficult children whined and complained the whole time about how much "work" they had to do which barely consisted of moving a few boxes out to the truck and unpacking some clothes. Pretty typical of them. I'm not surprised. We had our first set of movers quit unexpectedly on us on Saturday. They came in to unload a tv then never came back! My mom called the boss and he said that one of the movers was "disgusted" by the cat pee smell and couldn't handle it! He also said we looked too disorganized because we had boxes everywhere. Ummm...hellooo??? We're MOVING. OF course we have boxes. And we didn't hire them to help move boxes. That was OUR job. We only wanted them for the furniture. Oh well. Mr. Boss man sent over a couple of new movers who had the heart to "tough it out" and stand the cat smell long enough to move all the big stuff. Speaking of the cat, we said a very emotional goodbye to him on Saturday. difficult child 1 had tears in her eyes. difficult child 2 was indifferent (typical of him.) I miss the cat terribly and I've even found myself looking for him at home then remembering he is no longer with us. :( I will say though that is is a nice feeling to come home to a clean smelling house with no cat pee odor! All in all it was pretty stressful but not more than I could handle. I still have some unpacking to do but I am saving it for spring break. Thanks for the good wishes ladies. It went pretty well considering.