Wish me luck

JJJ

I usually advocate for children whose parents are trying to get them into Special Education or into a more supportive placement. I was just asked to help a family that is already at the filing for due process step in trying to prevent a placement change. It sounds like many things have gone wrong this year (child has missed 20+ days due to suspension plus numerous other days when mom had to pick up). His BIP sounds inadequate and the staff at the school seems more concerned with being powerful than doing the right thing. They are dealing with the "my way, no highway option" principal I dealt with 5 or 6 years ago. Idiot.

I've never had a case spiral out of control to the due process stage before. I'm trying to get an IEP meeting so we can try and untangle the mess. If they have to go to Due Process, I don't feel comfortable doing it without an attorney. I hope we don't get that far.

TeDo

CD Hall of Fame
Wow, good for you but oh man, not the best time to get into the mess. I remember getting about to that point with a "my way, no highway" principal and I even had a VERY good advocate. Hope you are able to help this family. I agree with the lawyer piece if it does get to Due Process. Good luck!

buddy

Trust yourself! You are excellent and know your stuff. You always share and advise tactfully and accurately. Stick with the law, and make it clear that they're not exempt.
The stinky thing so many of us have faced is even if we force them to get an IEE or write a new great plan, if they don't want our kid they're not going to do it. Our kids lose out being set up, treated poorly, and having their self -esteem ruined in addition to being poorly educated. At some point the parents will have to decide if their kid has a chance. It's so unfair.
But with someone like you supporting them they will hear all the options and be able to make informed choices. I know a woman who had her due process scheduled, one call from the advocate to the sp ed director and she got the placement she wanted. I called recently and her deaf-blind medically fragile daughter, who the district said was just too cognitively impaired at age 4 to be in a deaf blind class (how stupid is that?) Is signing! She uses an ipad (low vision not completely blind) and starting to interact with kids. Advocates can help cut through the b.s. just by pointing out the truth!

You go girl, you rock all the way around. You know your limits and will be able to provide them with choices. I have all the faith in the world in you.

JJJ

I think the Special Education director "suggested" that the parent not bring me to the meeting. I forgot to warn the parent not to mention bringing an advocate. I've written her a lot of suggestions to talk about and ways to modify the current placement instead of transferring. The problem is that this parent believes what the Special Education director says. This is the same Special Education director that lied to me about federal law and was involved in the school calling DCFS on me because I wouldn't allow them to speak to my child's psychiatrists.

The good thing is that the placement being suggested is the amazing program that really helped Tigger. Personally, I think the child will be 'safer' at the new placement as the current placement is very inept at dealing with difficult children and tends to call the cops/dcfs and blame the parents rather than admit their own incompetency.

buddy

Ultimately it's the parents choice and you can only offer your best advice. I hope they see thru sp ed directors BS. Uggg