Wish us luck

F

flutterbee

I'm trying to get Baby Kitty (aka Holly) into the carrier to go the vet to get a steroid shot - she has an autoimmune issue and periodically needs an injection. We couldn't get her on Friday. Last time I tried to just pick her up and put her in when she was as upset as she is today she pulled half of my ring finger fingernail out from the nail bed in one swoop. :faint:

Wynter is currently trying to coax her as she is now running from me everytime she hears my voice. Sigh.

If I have to cancel again today, my vet might fire me.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Hope things went well at the vet. Sounds like she really doesn't like to go. Is there any possible (and I know it can be expensive) way the vet can just bring the shot to your house?

hugs
beth

F

flutterbee

Well, it took 3 of us, a really thick towel, a baby gate and a pillow case but we got her.

Get her to the vet, they open the carrier before I can stop them and they reach in for her (we normally take the carrier apart). Baby Kitty did nothing. Damn cat would have taken off my fingers had I tried that maneuver.

She got her shot, came home, opened the carrier and she made a beeline for her secret hiding place. I call it secret because I really have no idea where it is. It's the place she's in when I've looked everywhere a cat could possibly be hiding and I still can't find her.

I don't know if the vet would come out. Thankfully, it hasn't gotten to that point. Yet.

I need a nap.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I have to side with baby. If I got a shot every time I went to the vet, I think I'd put up a fight too. lol

Ouch! OUch! Our vet has what she calls "instant" appointments for pets you have to catch in order to bring them in. You might have to wait a bit once you get there, but once you've got em, you can bring them right in.

Vet has two cats like that herself. Says it's lucky she and her husband are both vets as at times it take the both of them to catch and treat them. lol

I'm guessing, if I recall right, baby kitty isn't the cuddly one?? I can get Willie and Bruce by pretending to cuddle, then Nichole sneaks up with the towel, we bundle tight. No carrier though. Not after last time. The cats are more scared of the carrier than of the vet. ugh

Take a nice long rest. Spoil baby a bit and maybe she'll stop being wary of you.

((hugs))

F

flutterbee

Baby Kitty is my oldest kitty - 8 years old. We adopted her from the humane society when she was 3 months old. She's neurotic as all get out. Always has been. The vet thinks she was orphaned and bottle raised so wasn't properly socialized. I think there was just too much inbreeding going on and she's missing a few upstairs. Seriously, if this cat were human she'd be on some heavy duty drugs.

She *is* cuddly. Very much so. She's just very trigger-happy with her claws. If she gets startled or anything. If she's on my lap and another cat comes along (cause she doesn't play nice with anyone else), I just kinda try to make my body disappear from underneath her because I know I'll get caught in the crossfire.

Last time I took her to the vet, it took me about 3 minutes to coax her into the carrier with treats. This time she wasn't having it. She's not predictable at all. She's like that with everything. Next time could be completely different again.

We got her in the carrier about an hour before the appointment. We then put her in Wynter's room with the door closed to let her calm down. I felt so bad for her. No way I could handle her in just a towel and take her in. She'd be out of my arms in about 2 seconds and I'd be in shreds.

I've never had a cat this hard to handle in this way. I get nailed by them sometimes when trying to give them medications or get them in the carrier or just from playing...always have scratches on me. But, Baby Kitty does a lot of damage.

Other than that, she's a really good cat. LOL

F

flutterbee

Lisa, you're thinking of Little Miss Abigail - Abbey. She's THE baby and is MY baby. I may have to get her out from under the bed, but she's not hard to get in the carrier....once you catch her. LOL She's a wiry little thing. And, no, she's not cuddly. About the only time I'm "allowed" to pet her is when she follows me into the bathroom - which is every time I go. But, she always has to be in the same room as me and follows me around the house.

F

flutterbee

I'm sure you'll all be happy to know that Baby Kitty has forgiven me and has allowed me to pet her and didn't run. :whew: :rofl: