Wish us luck

H

HaoZi

Got kiddo a consultation appointment with a psychologist to see if he'll do the psychiatric evaluation I'll been pestering the shrinks to do. appointment is March 7th, wish us luck that he'll give it a shot instead of blowing us off like the rest of the docs have.

kfmewes

Good Luck!!! I really hope everything works out for you. I had the same worries when I was trying to get my son seen. It kind of seemed like they were blowing us off at first. Got my fingers crossed for you!!

T

TeDo

All body parts crossed here! There has to be a decent psychiatrist around there SOMEWHERE!

susiestar

Roll With It
Wishing you the very best luck and that this guy is wise, able to communicate with your difficult child and willing to do what is necessary to help figure out exactly what is going on and how best to help her.

Blissful_Betty

Wishing much luck... the lack of professionals understanding and validating our parental concerns with so much as an evaluation is understateably infuriating. I hope your family is able to get a professional to finally take note of your concerns and do a thorough, well conducted evaulation!

H

HaoZi

Praise and many much thankees to the boardies! He does see the need for further testing! Says he doesn't see Aspie but something closer to atypical Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), I don't care what you call it, as long as someone is willing to make sure Kiddo is getting treated for the right things. Said something about wanting to do personality tests and inkblots tests, etc. Will call us once the insurance company approves the testing, willing to refer to neurologist if he feels those tests are needed, too.
Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou my fellow bead rattlers!

DammitJanet

Great News! I actually am one who thinks that psychologists and therapists do a great job in diagnosing myself. I think someone who takes the time to really get to know someone for more than just a couple of hours is better able to get the big picture. Also some tdocs are just more in-tuned than more clinical doctors. My old therapist was great at being able to read a person in just a few sessions by letting them talk and asking a few questions to get the gist of the issues.

H

HaoZi

Result? That he's willing to do the further tests I've been requesting. I've been asking her docs for a "full evaluation" or "neuropsychologist testing" and they look at me like I'm speaking a foreign language, ask me why I think she needs testing, and what tests I want. Then they refuse. Hello? Aren't you the professional? Isn't that your job? You know, figure out what's REALLY wrong with the kid instead of just throwing medications at the symptoms and calling her defiant?
Fine, she's more functional now. I stopped at SpEd to sign her IEP (already placed into effect based on verbal agreement, just making it official), and was told that we've hit "the magic medication combo" even if it only holds until puberty or whatever, that it's working now and she's better able to help them help her. Which is good, but if there's outside helps I can also get her based on further testing, like Occupational Therapist (OT) or something, I want those for her. If it will help tweak out her IEP, I want that. If it will help keep her from being put on the wrong medications (again!), I want that. If it can open new ideas on how to help her, I want that. If I also test out as similar as we appear to be, and knowing how similar my half-sister is to me in difficult child ways, then she needs this info because her son is pre-K age now.
So to FINALLY find a doctor that HEARS me and SEES what I'm saying is a major relief. Even if I still feel like I'm wanting for the other shoe to drop.