Wish us luck

Malika

Provision seems uneven in the States - sounds like it all depends on where you live, am I right? A little like the UK, these days... Will this testing now be paid for by your insurance? I confess I don't fully understand the financing of US health care. In the UK, it's all "free at point of service" (national health service paid for out of everyone's taxes though everyone these days complains about long waiting lists for some healthcare, etc) and in France healthcare is either completely paid for by the state if you are below a certain income level or reimbursed through your professional insurance (which is not nearly as expensive in the States, as I know from one of my brothers who lives in NJ).
At any rate, I'm glad for you that you've had this breakthrough. What is the "prognosis" for your daughter? Do you think one day she will be able to come off drugs?

H

HaoZi

Come off drugs... geeze, makes it sounds like she enjoys it. :p
If she's truly bipolar, then she's looking at a lifetime on medication provided she can stay on some kind of coverage, and coverage isn't cheap if you have private insurance. Yes, a lot of things depend on location here, and whether you have private insurance, Medicaid (govt), military, whatever. Kiddo is on state-run Medicaid, so any testing like this has to be pre-approved by them, and there's budget cuts all over the place. When I first started asking for all these tests and called her insurance company last year, the company running it approved it, but that company has been taken over by Anthem, and while the doctor doesn't anticipate a problem getting it approved, I am worried.

Malika

Fingers crossed for you.
Sorry, as G.B.Shaw (I think) said, America and Britain are two nations divided by a single language... for me, drugs means medication, for you it means (again I think!) things you take to get high... :)

H

HaoZi

I knew what you meant, and I know how easy it can be to get mixed up with different threads/kids here, too. That's why the siggys help so much, I'm all over the board because I don't stay in one area, like General Parenting, I use the "## Unread Posts" button in the upper right corner instead.
My boyfriend is Canadian and is totally confused by how health care is run in the U.S. Heck, I have a hard time making sense of it myself, and it can vary a lot from one state to another.
The phrasing gave me a laugh once I realized what you meant. ;)
I'll update when/if insurance approves, when we do it, when we gets results, the whole nine yards. We get the results of her genetic testing later today, so... about 12 hours from now or so.