Wishing a fun & safe holiday weekend...

tiredmommy

to all our members. And hoping that our friends on the East Coast stay safe with minimal damage now that Earl will be making a run up the coast.

So... what are your plans? Are you frantically boarding up before you evacuate or planning something simpler like a cookout? How will you keep the difficult children happy and busy over the long weekend?

Fran... why don't you share some stories about living in the aftermath of Andrew? Does anyone else have natural disaster and difficult child stories?:windy:

Fran

Former desparate mom
I am sad to say that I am a survivor of 2 hurricanes and 3 houses being damaged/destroyed. (andrew and Ike) The stories are amazing. Horrid and wonderful at the same time. The kindness of strangers and the users who take advantage of those in need really shows both sides of the coin.
I have to run out to do some errands but I can elaborate a bit more a little later.

As far as the weekend, we are staying put even if they evacuate. We have been running since mid May and I'm not going anywhere. Mostly we are going to work on getting difficult child's furniture out of storage and plan his move.
What are you up to TM? Lounging on your new couch in the a/c?

DammitJanet

Fran, I dont think you will have a thing to worry about where you are. It would have to take a drastic swing west. Not that I havent seen them do it before. I remember one that did it back in 84, the year Jamie was born. He was less than a month old and Diana came through. We had evacuated up here to Lumberton and stayed with Tony's grandmother. All of us...my mom, Billy, Tony and me in his Grandmothers 2 room house that she built with her own hands...lol. Boy was it crowded. Diana went up the coast to VA and we went home to NMB. Tony and I lived one block off the ocean at that time and in the middle of the night we got woken up to my mom banging on the door saying they were evacuating everyone again because Diana was turning back around and heading straight for us. We only had time to grab a few pillows, diapers and bottles! We had to go to the local HS and hit the shelters. It was awful.

This weekend we dont plan to do much. Storm isnt coming here we are 99% sure of. I am going to just rest. Maybe cookout one day. This is opening weekend of dove hunting so that is what Tony and Cory will be doing. Keyana still has dance class on Monday so its a normal day.

tiredmommy

We're WAAAYYY west of Earl's projected path but we will probably get a little rain and wind on Friday or Saturday. Duckie plans on watching Camp Rock- Final Jam on Friday evening, we're going to a mom-daughter picnic on Saturday (tentatively moved indoors), church on Sunday and MAYBE we'll go to Darien Lake theme park on Monday if Duckie's asthma is back under control. Tuesday will be a quiet day before school starts except for her rehearsal in the evening....

We're fortunate to never have been in a truly serious weather event with Duckie. No earthquakes, tornadoes, wild fires, hurricanes or blizzards (yet). I feel for families that have to help their special needs kids cope in these situations.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Praying all our East Coast members stay safe. We are due very comfortable temps the next couple of days with highs in the 60s which will be welcome relief. This weekend difficult child is headed to respite, easy child is staying home, and husband & I are headed to our first Michigan football game of the season!! Go Blue:)