withdrawal from prozac?

K

Kjs

I need to ask the experts. I never dealt with prozac. My best friend stopped prozac per her doctors request. She is telling me she has the shakes and her heart is pounding. It has been 6 days. Over the past 3 days she said she was so depressed she never even got up.

From what I read, prozac has little or no withdrawal symptoms listed. I find that hard to believe. So..asking the experts.

Josie

From what I've read, Prozac is supposed to be one of the easiest to withdraw from. I don't think that means there are no withdrawal problems. Did she taper off?

Star*

call 911........call 911
I believe those are typical side effects from stopping the drug, but I've never heard of a dr. just saying stop cold turkey.

I had to because they canceled my insurance - I was on PAxil CR - and I wouldn't wish what I went through on my x husband. It was that awful.

Google Prozac side effects - I've also heard it's one of the easier to come off of, but....everyone is different.

K

Kjs

Thanks. Sounds like what is happening to her. I tried checking on the internet, but all I can come up with is that Prozac has the least side effects.

As for Paxil, long ago I was on Paxil. It was the one that actually worked. Then the weight started getting out of control. That was the most awful thing I ever went through. the buzzing, the dizziness, the electrical shock feeling. That alone would keep me from ever trying it again.

klmno

I'd probably put a calll into a psychiatrist or pharmacist and ask about this, just to be on the safe side. My difficult child didn't have big problems stopping- actually psychiatrist said he thought he'd turned manic as a result of a prozac increase so stopping suddenly wouldn't be as dangerous as not stopping. But, I have read that it does need to be watched - the patient needs to be watched when stopping suddenly- especially if they are young (adolescent or teenager).