Witzend was a bad girl...

witzend

And got caught in a speed trap. We were heading to Florida through SC (we're from NC) and when I went to pass a swerving semi-trailer, I got zapped about 40 miles from GA. Mind you, there were 3 cars stopped on each side of the road getting ticketed. I was doing 84 in a 70 zone, so no doubt I was speeding, but I was also passing, and had two cars on my rear trying to get past the truck as well, but I was the one they got. They know I'm not going to drive to SC for a speeding ticket!

The thing that ticks me off is that happened on the 25th of January. Today is the 4th of February and I have gotten five letters from attorneys offering to assist me with this terrible tragedy. Are these people working hand in hand much, do you think? GRRRR....

Let me tell you, this is about fifth on the list of someone has been poking the bear this week, and the bear is not happy.

:grrr:

buddy

That stinks. Sorry that you have to pay that.

Sending you berries and a gentle tummy rub instead of a poke.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Wow, is business really that bad for attorneys in that area or what?

If you were the first car in that line......that is why you got the ticket, that tends to be the way it works.

I have a lead foot. I think it's genetic. As I've grown older I've tried to get a handle on it.........it's not working out so well. I'm fine in town but get me on the highway and the slowest I'm going is 70. We have a bypass I have to use on the way to Nichole's and I've as yet to drive it under 85 mph.........I've been lucky. So far I've spotted the highway patrol before they've spotted me. I don't mean to do it, I swear I don't. That bypass has nearly no traffic and I just sort of get in a zone, next thing I know I'm pushing 90 mph and I'm like OOPS! LOL

I hope the ticket isn't so bad. Poking the bear is not smart.

InsaneCdn

Berries... as in Raspberries? BUDDY! How could you!!

Witz... we've all done it. Go take a nice bubblebath and beat up the bubbles instead of yourself.

buddy

Berries... as in Raspberries? BUDDY! How could you!!

Witz... we've all done it. Go take a nice bubblebath and beat up the bubbles instead of yourself.

I know, I'm unBEARable. I BEARly tolerate myself. But (BEAR with me) I just wanted to offer treats instead of pokes.....

DDD

My genetic lead foot apparently is not genetic. It kicks in on back rural roads where only an occasional cow is in sight until a round a rural curve and some hidden car pulls out from behind a stand of trees. Those "good ole boys and good ole girls in uniform" support the community single handed I think.

on the other hand I would be literally frightened to drive thru Orlando or Atlanta doing the posted speed limit. I'm not sure which Interstate is worse but it's surreal having cars and trucks literally riding your back bumper going twenty miles over the posted limit. In Orlando, in particular, I rarely see anyone pulled over by the cops.........there's no place to pull over where you're not in danger.

Hope they didn't really sock it to you...but bet they did. Hugs DDD

susiestar

Roll With It
Just remember, unless you have gotten guardrail burn on the driver's door of your vehicle because you were reading a book while you drove, or you missed your exit on one of the busiest highways in the country and you pulled over and drove backward in reverse for 1 or 2 miles, you haven't come even close to really bad driving.

Bro did the first one, many times, when he lived out in Idaho. It was too boring to just drive and listen to music, so he would read a book while driving. Seriously. Not Joking. Esp scary because he is the WORST multitasker on the planet.

Gpa did the second one when I was 12 or so. I know the distance because I wrote down the mile markers and exits we passed in reverse. I waited until after his death to share that with my mom, lol. He had already been in trouble for being annoyed with 4 way stop signs and just driving through people's yards. He was an amazing driver. Amazingly bad, but still, lol.

KTMom91

Hope the ticket wasn't too expensive.

My lead foot is why I got a car that isn't as quick on the uptake as I would like. Too many tickets and the State of CA said I was almost a negligent driver. I've been behaving for several years now.

Kathy813

Staff member
DDD, my brother is a retired police officer from New York and he was shocked when he drove on the highways around metro Atlanta. He couldn't believe how everyone totally ignored the speed limits.

I guess I am just used to it. I don't have a lead foot but my easy child definitely does. She has slowed down some, though, now that she is an adult but got three speeding tickets when she was a teenager. difficult child, on the other hand, gets tickets for stupid stuff like expired tags.

Witz, sorry about your ticket. They can be very expensive!

~Kathy

DammitJanet

Witz Im betting they gave you a break seeing what the ticket was for, just under the 15 miles over the posted speed limit. Over 15 is HUGE difference in not only the fine but the points on your license.

This happened in SC right? If so, the trooper didnt offer to let you pay then and there? Sometimes they do. As far as hiring an attorney Im going to tell you right now that you will most likely not do yourself any favors in SC to do that. NC is a far different state. SC doesnt do what NC does and wipe the ticket away if you hire a lawyer. All that happens is you pay a lawyer and the ticket! Since you were going under 15 over, I would just pay it.

Tony got nabbed for doing 90 in a 55 on I95 and paid a lawyer and it became a huge mess and the lawyer didnt even get the money order he gave the guy into the court before the due date so they issued a warrant! We had to prove we had sent the money order to the lawyer two weeks before the court date and then the lawyer had to find it in his file where he had forgotten to take it to the court. He didnt even get the amount of the ticket reduced.

witzend

I-95, yep that's the spot. MP 46. "Offered to let me pay it on the spot"? Are you kidding? That sounds like Mexico!

witzend

Shows how much I was paying attention - it wasn't SC, it was Darien Georgia. $215. Janet's right. He said if it were over 15, he'd have to report to my insurance. Is he saying that my insurance won't catch wind of this if I just pay it? It's not the $215 that kills me it's the 5 years on my record jacking up my insurance rate that kills me. I bet this guy never shows up to court. He just picks on little old ladies from NC that he knows can't just take 8 hours to drive down there and back to contest the ticket.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Shows how much I was paying attention - it wasn't SC, it was Darien Georgia. $215. Janet's right. He said if it were over 15, he'd have to report to my insurance. Is he saying that my insurance won't catch wind of this if I just pay it? It's not the $215 that kills me it's the 5 years on my record jacking up my insurance rate that kills me. I bet this guy never shows up to court. He just picks on little old ladies from NC that he knows can't just take 8 hours to drive down there and back to contest the ticket.

Georgia is pretty strict - they have what they call the "Super Speeder" fines...

My husband got nabbed in GA. Had to pay a lawyer to keep the ticket from killing us with the insurance...

DammitJanet

I dont know how GA goes. Might be a good idea to call a lawyer in GA and ask them if you hire them if they can get it knocked down to improper equipment. Thats what lawyers do in NC. If a lawyer can do that in GA then yes its worth it to hire the lawyer. If they cant do it, then no its not worth hiring the lawyer. 14 miles wont hit you for but 2 points and it will only stay on your insurance for 3 years.

Can you tell we know a bit about speeding tickets?

Tony drives for a living. He drives mostly in NC and he gets at least 2 speeding tickets a year and has to pay lawyers in NC a year. Costs him about 400 bucks to get out of them.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
OK - here are the details...

In Georgia, you are considered a "Super Speeder" if you are caught doing 70 mph or more on any two-lane road 85 mph or more on any highway - so that officer was right about that extra 1mph costing you big. There would have been an additional $250 fine, plus your state's DMV would have been notified....and may possibly have added points to your license.

Under 85 mph on a highway....you are a "regular" speeder. So fines to Georgia - yes. In trouble with your own state? Probably not.

cubsgirl

As long as you are being bad we might as well deliver some margaritas and Raoul to you :)

Sorry about the speeding ticket - an expense no one needs.

Kathy813

Staff member
The police in smaller towns in North Georgia are much more strict than the police in the metro Atlanta area. My easy child got one of her speeding tickets in North Georgia. The price sounds about right. She paid around that when she got her ticket a few years ago.

~Kathy