Witzend, yum!

Fran

Former desparate mom
Witz, I made your recipe for lemoncello. I'm not really much of a drinker but even I loved the flavor. I have it in the freezer now but I was really surprised that it was as good as it was.
Thanks. It was simple and looks pretty in the bottles. I wish I could send a bottle to you in appreciation.

witzend

Ooh, I'm glad you like it! It's so refreshing in the middle of winter! Well, summer too. But it's like a sip of summer in the cold of December.

M

ML

I missed this. My boss drinks it. That and orange cello and it's expensive as I found out when I bought it for him. How do you make it?

witzend

ML - You should be able to have this done by New Years.

Scrub ten lemons in a sink full of soapy water, then rinse. Peel making sure to not include the pith. (I use a potato peeler.) You can also use oranges to make "Arancello".
Soak peelings in 1 liter of Everclear (or any other brand "pure grain alcohol") for 10 days. (DON'T use vodka, it will taste bad.)

After ten days are up drain the liquid and discard the peels. Make a simple syrup of 6 1/3 cups water and 6 1/2 cups sugar. Blend with the alcohol, and you can drink this immediately. No need to let it sit for any more time. Stash in the freezer.

Fran

Former desparate mom
I made double chocolate biscotti. They are perfect with a little limoncello after dinner.
My family is quite impressed.
As I was stirring the "vat" of beverage(I was afraid I wouldn't have enough) so I made more. Now I have 6 bottles in the freezer and enough for 6 more bottles. LOL. This will last me 20 yrs.
Anyhow, easy child walks by as I'm stirring this huge pot of grain alcohol and drily says "you know mom it's just a short jump to having a meth kitchen". He had us cracking up.

Mom2oddson

Mine turned out great too! Thank you! I'll be delivering it to family on Friday. I used Meyer Lemons which are a cross between lemons and mandarins. It has such a wonderful taste. Again, Thank you!

SRL

As I was stirring the "vat" of beverage(I was afraid I wouldn't have enough) so I made more. Now I have 6 bottles in the freezer and enough for 6 more bottles. LOL. This will last me 20 yrs. Anyhow, easy child walks by as I'm stirring this huge pot of grain alcohol and drily says "you know mom it's just a short jump to having a meth kitchen". He had us cracking up.

LOL, Fran. My kids are always full of comments when I have a big bottle of Vodka out on the counter for making up my DIY skincare. I can just imagine the comments if I was into Everclear.

Did Santa come to visit your puppies?

witzend

LOL, Fran. I can't tell you how many friends I have hooked with this stuff. Now we have Limoncello making parties where we get big bags of lemons from Costco and gallons of alcohol and share the duties. Then we take home our "soak" to finish up with sugar later. The bottles I give as gifts are usually around 4 ounces, so I get quite a few out of them! I tell you what, though, I wouldn't want any errant flames coming up in the kitchen when we're doing our mass mixing though. I like my eyebrows just fine, thank you very much! Poof!

LittleDudesMom

This sounds really good. Witz, do you think this would work with grapefruit peel? I love the Absolute Ruby Red and was wondering......

Sharon

witzend

I don't see why it wouldn't. I think if I were going to try that I would first "twist" the oil out of a grapefruit peel just to get the aroma and see what you get. The taste is the oil, so you'll have a pretty good idea. I know that limes don't really work.

Fran

Former desparate mom
SRL, my puppies get a treat dispensing ball. They don't chew, chase balls or really play. They want to work. They will chase food though. They also will benefit from the scraps my mother sneaks them under the table.
Witz, I love the idea of a limoncello making party. I must admit that this is the first time I ever bought or drank grain alcohol. I'll have to give that a try.