Woke up this morning in a GATED COMMUNITY!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Some streets down the hill from us were voluntarily evacuated today in advance of a storm that's expected to hit later this afternoon -- and since our hills are now bare from the wildfire, there is a chance of flooding and/or mud slides so the city is playing things safe.

When I drove down to take the kids to school, there was a police barricade being set up at the intersection of my neighborhood and one of the main thoroughfares, and when I drove back up, they had a sign that said "Residents Only". I guess they want to be sure no one tries to take advantage of the fact that some of the homes are going to be vacant over the next day or two.

I kinda wish they'd set that up the day they let the homeowners back into their neighborhoods, because it would have eliminated the steady parade of cars driving up to at gawk at the burned hills and pink houses on my street!

But as far as flooding goes, we are perfectly safe on my street because the homes sit up above the surrounding hillsides. It's the folks down below me that might have issues later tonight. Hopefully everyone has their sandbags and plastic sheeting in place by now (the city started handing those out on Friday).

easy child said she thought because of the rain we should open up the fireplace tonight -- ummmm, NO, I told her. I don't think ANYONE in our town would appreciate the smell of a wood fire just yet...

mom_in_training

From the looks of some of the pics you shared with CD I thought that you were up on a hill. Whew.... I know the fire came pretty close to you though and all. You don't think it compromised the stability of the hill your on, Right? I hope not. I am glad to see that they are taking action now. I have been hearing on KFI that many in your area have been gearing up by getting free sand bags to prepare for anything that may happen since last week. I hate it when people troll through communities that are in the middle of any tragic happening. Whats worse is that we have to deal with others that take advantage of the whole situation by robbing the homeowners. Its conforting to know that the authorities are very aware of this and have your back as much as they can to protect your home.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well that COULD take care of that Coyote problem......sans trout.

I'm sorry GCV mom - I just wonder between the rattlesnakes, the fires, the coyotes, the mudslides, the earthquakes.....oh oh ......I see you LOVE living in California. uh huh. :whiteflag::whiteflag::whiteflag:

Dear Wet Dirt,

Please don't hurt my friend or her neighbors. They are nice. And they have chickens.

Love
Star

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oh, we'll be fine, MIT. And look, it's already 2pm and not a drop of rain yet! I guess better safe than sorry.

Star, as messed up as things get here occasionally, at least we don't have entire SEASONS where the weather is destructive. Earthquakes and fires every now and then I can live with, but hurricanes and tornadoes every friggin' year? No thanks!

Jena

LOL, that made me laugh earthquakes and fires you can live with :) that was funny.

I'm with you i love to track storms on internet i'm fascinated by them, yet living wtih them is a whole other thing!!

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
See I can live with the yearly potential for tornadoes and the occaisional flood. Please don't make me endure an earthquake. Oh wait we are supposed to get the mother of those some day too. Sheesh no where to go. Hope you stay dry.

beth