Wolf spider in easy child's room

TerryJ2

She flipped out and took an extra blanket downstairs to sleep on the couch. She said it was about as big as the palm of her hand. Of course, while she was gathering her things to go downstairs, she had to call a friend to tell them ... not too scared to flee with-o a phone call. ;)
I got the cats and locked them in the room.
I expect a flattened spider in the a.m.
... Although I've done this before and they've slept right through it. They only hunt when they're in the mood. :sigh:

InsaneCdn

Eeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkk!

Yuuuuuccccckkkkk!

I can't handle spiders, either. I'd be... sleeping at a friend's house or something. You're lucky she just went to the COUCH!

TerryJ2

Well, I'm burned out on researching wolf spiders. Just did a quick 2 pp overview with-lots of photos ... there are 2,000 types! Black, gray, brown, stripes, blah blah blah. Now I have to look at some pretty pics in magazines so I can have something a bit sweeter on my mind when I go to sleep...
--------> pretty picture:painter:

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Tis the season, there were four huge black spiders on our stoop tonight. I had to step over them to get in the house. One of them looked familiar, I think it's Fang who hung around last year. We were going to get a leash and collar for him.

If I remember correctly, wolf spiders only bite when they are carrying their young on their back.

Some wise board member recently mentioned that you don't panic when you see a spider, you panic when you have stopped seeing it!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Yup, tis the season.

I don't freak out, I squish them, splat!

I got over freak outs being home alone with the kids while husband worked 2nd shift. Somehow you clench your teeth and just deal with it when given no other choice. (up until then I had a mega fear going on) I don't like them inside at all. I can admire them outside. I know they have their usefulness, just not in my house.

buddy

It is all too scary for me. I just hate spiders. I used to have a screaming level phobia about them, but back when I was on Paxil I found I didn't get that panic feeling and it never came back. I still hate them though! I always have bug spray around though. Just in case.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
If husband is home, they bother me. If he is not, they don't (unless my Dad is around).

I lived alone long enough I learned to deal with them if I had to, but if not... EEEEWWWWWW!

We have gumball-sized ones in our bedroom. Squirrel-cat loves to play, which means by the time I see them, they're dead.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I have the laziest little dogs ever. They are ratters for crying out loud!! They are supposed to hunt little smaller than them animals. Instead they sleep. All the time. Nala likes to kill bugs-if she's in the mood.

I recently killed an enormous spider in my bedroom. The entire time, from preparing to kill, garnering the courage, rolling a big enough magazine, going at it to SPLAT, watching it fall behind the furniture, dragging the vacuum out and sucking up its carcass...what am I doing? Screaming like a sumo wrestler at the top of my lungs. My throat is raw by the time the little bastid is dead.

Last edited:

You are so brave! I scream and cry until someone helps me, I run away, and then I call the exterminator. He comes once every 3 months anyway, but he doesn't charge me in an emergency!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Hmmmmmmm.....?????????

Could I? Would it? Do you think, and I am TOTALLY serious here - Could I make a side living with an ad on Craigslist - LOOKING for spiders at $15.00 and hr.? OMG if there was one as big as the palm of my hand in my house? I would be flipping stuff over to FIND HER!!!!! What a beauty......and I am very serious about that. We have not had a hand sized arachnid for quite some time. :(

Our home policy is STILL - CATCH and release. DF swears that since we do that - the last THREE spiders (and they were your average garden variety wolf spiders) sat at the back door and JUMPED out when I opened the door to get a ride to the dark forest. (that's where we release all of them) lol. It has been odd that they just JUMP out at the threshold....lol.

Honestly would you have paid me to arrive within 1/2 an hour and FIND it - and take it with me? By the hour. And no pay if I didn't find it. Hmmmmmmm thinking thinking......

Kathy813

Staff member
Ew, ew, ew. I would have left the house and not come back until husband could show me the dead carcass.

I hate spiders . . . all sizes, colors, and shapes. I can't even look at pictures of them. I have skipped the Harry Potter movies and Home Alone movies that have spiders in them.

I guess I have a phobia. LOL

Good luck finding the spider. I doubt you easy child will be sleeping in her room until you do.

~Kathy

Last edited:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Our home policy is STILL - CATCH and release......

Ever been bitten by a brown recluse? I used to be a catch and release gal...until one of them bit me. My forearm went numb and tingly, then felt dead, the skin began to peel, my hand was rendered useless, I took to wearing a sling - all this in only a 36 hour period. Went to ER, doctor took one look, told me he suspected a spider bite, gave me some super-duper antibiotics and sent me on my way. Took THREE WEEKS to recover!!

So, my policy changed: Hunt and kill, screaming like a Banshee the entire time so as to distract both of us from the impending death.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Dude was bitten by a recluse when he was 18 months old on the inside of his thigh. I know it was painful and ugly. Dude has the same spider-hate you do. He figures the only good spider is a dead one.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Dude was bitten by a recluse when he was 18 months old on the inside of his thigh. I know it was painful and ugly. Dude has the same spider-hate you do. He figures the only good spider is a dead one.

I am totally with Dude on this one! The worst is that H loves to chase me around the house and yard with his hands cupped telling me it's a spider, cricket, grasshopper, whatever. It's like he's an 11 year old again...or should I say, still.

TerryJ2

Yes, I tried to explain to easy child that we have brown recluse and black widows, and they are very dangerous and because they're small, everyone just blows them off. Meanwhile, the relatively harmless wolf spider gets the starring role in every horror film.
Yes, they can bite. But they are not aggressive.
Anyway, no carcasses yet. And one of the kitties likes it in there so she went back up to sleep on the bed after breakfast. I'm hoping she turns into a watch-kitty. :)

TerryJ2

P.S. I think insects and spiders are fascinating. What I don't like is the sudden, unpredictable movement. THAT scares me.
I also am fascinated by surgery and medical issues and typically have a strong stomach. But if I smell anything, it's all over.
So, we all have our limits ... :)