Wolf spider in easy child's room

InsaneCdn

If I were your daughter... (and no, I won't tell her this), I'd be insisting on a roof-mounted mosquito net, and FRESH bedding every night (all shaken out and put through the dryer and remade). There's just NO way I could sleep without knowing there was NO spiders left. At. All.

TerryJ2

lol, Insane.
She screamed and threw all of her clothes on the floor and they've been there since last night. It's her job to either wash them or put them away. No matter what.
Just sign me, Mean Mom.

InsaneCdn

Terry, you're mean. On THIS issue - not in general.
If it was me? you'd have ended up needing to take me to ER on a stretcher in a straight jacket. Just the thought of the possibility of a spider - ANY spider - IN MY CLOTHES? my skin would crawl for WEEKS until there was no skin left from scratching away the "willies". Have to wash my own clothes under those conditions? Mom... please. Have a LITTLE bit of heart? (I'm asking on her behalf... ) You wash. She'll still have to put away - but not until the spider(s) no longer exist(s).

Last edited:

trinityroyal

I can't imagine the pandemonium that would ensue in here if ever a Wolf Spider ventured into my house.

Little Tyrantina saw a tiny little spider a couple of weeks ago. She shrieked that there was an "Icky-bug", climbed me like a tree, and refused to step on the floor for the rest of the day. It took about a week before she would walk anywhere in the house without boots on.

Tyrannosaur on the other hand, picks them up and says "Here Mummy. For You!" and then puts them in my hand, whereupon I shriek and start flapping around trying to get it off me.

And these are teeny little ones no bigger than a dime.

I just can't imagine...Eeeeeewwwwww!

TerryJ2

Trinity, lol! One of each. :)

Nope. Nowhere to be found.
Just put both cats on the bed. easy child is on the couch again.
She packed up half the clothes that were on the floor. I asked if she had washed them. Nope. "So, you're taking the spider back to school with you?"
Bwahaahahahaahhahaha!

by the way, they don't live that long. A cpl wks, you think? Just making sure ...

Lothlorien

Terry, I cannot blame easy child one bit. I'd be sleeping in a motel! If I so much as see a giant beetle in my house, I'm freaking out and I can't sleep. Now that you've stirred the pot with this thread, I'll be buying some spider spray. One year, when we switched Mighty Mouse's toddler bed out for a big boy bed, husband was taking the toddler bed apart and found a nest of eggs. Then about a month later, I found a dead brown recluse in his closet. Ack!! All I imagined was that nest full of baby brown recluse spiders crawling all over my son and I was spraying every darn corner of my house.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well, I guess my efforts here to post a SPIDER IDENTIFICATION chart would be useless...

I tired to do the same thing with my Mother. I sent her a chart so that she could ALSO identify - before killing as "catch and release" is actually beneficial in many areas of the US. Most spiders will eat other bugs that are more of a pest and more damaging than a spider. So I sent the chart via email to my Mom and I got back a picture of the sole of a shoe stating THAT was the ONLY chart she needed, or intended on getting close enough to use......I digress I printed out a chart and cut it out in the shape of a shoe, taped it to the bottom of my shoe and re-sent the picture to her. She wrote back saying that at the velocity and speed with which the shoe would be traveling? The spider would not have time to reach up with one of it's eight legs and identify itself to her; therefore the shoe chart was futile.

If anyone WOULD however like me to help you in identifying any spider? I would be more than THRILLED to do so.

trinityroyal

All I know is, if it's got more than 4 legs it qualifies as an "Icky-Bug" and therefore it is PROHIBITED! And Tyrantina agrees with me.

Tyrannosaur and husband are the official bug-hunters in the house. They do catch and release, so Tyrantina and I just get up on the furniture and shriek like little girls until they're done. Little easy child isn't bothered by creepy-crawlies, so he doesn't get involved in the pandemonium.

TerryJ2

Sigh. I thought you were kidding, Three Shadows. I've done other searches, and have never read that its venom is that bad. I found this:

The wolf spider is a nomadic predator that prefers to attack its prey on foot
rather than construct a web. To accomplish this sort of hunting, the wolf spider
is equipped with long legs and can run very fast, making it difficult to catch.
It has large fangs that are capable of puncturing human skin and the venom is
known to produce necrosis (large areas of dead skin). The wolf spider is not
much of a climber and usually stays on the ground.

The female will carry
the egg pouch beneath her pedipalps to protect it from predators. Once the
spiderlings hatch, they will stay on their mother's abdomen and thorax until
they are big enough to go on their own. This makes for a bizarre spectacle since
the hundreds of spiderlings add a significant mass to the spider.

Many
people, including myself, have kept the wolf spider as a pet since it is akin to
a small tarantula. A person can house the creature in a small aquarium or other
enclosure with a substrate. The spider can be fed crickets, beetles, ants, mice,
and potentially mealworms. In some areas, species of wolf spiders are
endangered, so it is best to avoid killing them. To capture a wolf spider, look
in dark open areas or go out at night with a flashlight. Always be careful
around wolf spiders since their venom is capable of killing a large dog. If you
are bitten, wash the wound with soap and water and contact your doctor.
So, I suppose *I* have to hunt for it now.
Although if it's truly nomadic, it could be wandering over to the neighbor's house by now ...

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
That's where I got the info. I have to be careful because I like to dig into the earth with my hands when I garden. Last year I saw a frog in the bottom of a nice hole I made for a tall bearded iris. I tried to pick it up but it was an enormous spider.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Terry, just the thought of all those spiderlings almost made me vomit. EWWWWWWW!

I once swatted a spider, grazed it (I was sitting on the toilet at the time, so my reach was off) and instantly, there were, I swear, HUNDREDS of teeny tiny spiders rushing all over the floor. It was like a whack a mole game at that point for me, just wildly going after each and every one. To this day, I still feel a little bad about killing that entire family.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL Jo... I have a similar story... I was about 10, at day care. Playing outside. Big ol' spider (about 2" in diameter - sand colored) next to the sandbox so I stepped on it. And it exploded into thousands of babies.

I won't step on any spider bigger than the head of a pin, now. Eeee. Just the memory makes me shudder. (FWIW, my memory says it was about 4" in diameter. It was the biggest one I've EVER SEEN, before or since.)

TerryJ2

LOL!
Don't look at the online pics, then.

I have debated using spray, but then why should I poison my daughter's room so we all inhale it, knowing how bad it is, just to get rid of a spider thay may have checked into a different hotel?
I do spray the garage, though, every 2 yrs. We don't live in there. :)