Wonderful News

L

Liahona

difficult child 1 has an aide for this school year!!!!

I was at a meeting today with his teacher and the principal popped in and told me. I'm so happy about this.

I also get to explain autism to difficult child 1's class Aug. 30th.

DDD

I am delighted for you and your difficult child. What a great way to start off the new school year! DDD

H

HaoZi

WOOHOO! You should have them call ours SDs and tell them how good the results are to encourage the rest of them to do it!

L

Liahona

Thanks for the responses.

There is one person who is NOT happy about the aide. difficult child 1. His class eats a healthy snack mid-morning this year. We got him apples to take. He was sure he was going to be teased because he was taking apples. I told him to tell his aide about it and she'll help him through it. His response was "I don't have an aide this year." I said "yes, you will. The principal told me today." He is worried he will be teased because he has an aide as well as for the apples.

Looking back I should've told him differently and I should've told him in a different place; we were in a grocery store. He held it together. He teared up a bit, got upset about school attendance in general, and then changed the subject. He did a good job.

InsaneCdn

Whether the other kids make a big deal about the aide or not, is going to depend on the approach the aide takes.
We've had it both ways... the one you DON'T want is the "joined at the hip" type - the ones who hover over the kids they are assigned to.
The really good aides help the entire class, with a special eye out to cover everything the "assigned" kids need. But they can be quite subtle about it, and the other kids miss half of the help being given... and hey - she's helping THEM too.

(Here's hoping we get THOSE good ones back this year...)