Wonderful take about the past and the now

BusynMember

"Finish every day and be done with it. You have done what you could Some blunders and some absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon a you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenly with too high a spirit to be encumbered your old nonsense. This day is all that is good and fair. It is too dear, with its hopes and invitations, to waste a moment on the yesterdays." (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

As I am trying to really put the past where it belongs, this resonated with me. I found the quote in a wonderful book I am reading called "When Your Past is Hurting Your Present" by Sue Augustine. It shares the best and most hopeful in a Christian way, but even if you not a Christian there is wisdom in it for all.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who spent many years thinking we were not worth it or our kids were damaged because of our pasts. It is never too late to shed the past. But it is often after we are sick, depressed and guilt-laden because of how others treated us or mistakes we made.

Hope you liked the quote as much as I did.

SeekingStrength

MWM,
I love this quote - have run across it before - and benefitting from seeing it again. Thanks for sharing. Wish I was more like RWE. He was an awesome human, to remove himself and look at life differently. Such a brave soul to go against the flow and live like he did.

It is a wonderful quote. I remember somebody posting lately, I think it was Scent, something like--it was not what happened in third grade. That post grabbed me. So many times, husband and I have ruminated over little/big things here and there. What if we had handled that differently?

See above quote.

Happy New Year!

recoveringenabler

Staff member
10888572_10152621363522621_5539716213699189691_n.jpg

HeadlightsMom

MWM --- Terrific post on all levels. Thank you for sharing it! I'm a major fan of Emerson (and Thoreau, Whitman, Transcendentalists). But I've never heard of Sue Augustine and her book. Thinkin' I'll check it out! Thank you!

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
:beautifulthing:
"Finish every day and be done with it. You have done what you could Some blunders and some absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon a you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenly with too high a spirit to be encumbered your old nonsense. This day is all that is good and fair. It is too dear, with its hopes and invitations, to waste a moment on the yesterdays." (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Just AWESOME!!!

Thanks so much for sharing