Worried about

Wiped Out

Staff member
difficult child. He was up vomiting in the middle of the night. husband and I think it is because he ate so much that his stomach couldn't help it. (We do realize it might not be because of the food but the rest of this post still applies-he is eating way too much).

He seriously eats almost non stop. He has gained another 16 pounds this spring and now weighs 132 pounds (he is only 57 inches tall). He gets enraged when there isn't food that he likes and he is "hungry".

I have to hide things that don't need to be refrigerated but might be for a meal. If we have some ice cream in the freezer or even single serving types he will eat them all-within 2 days or less. If we buy something for a dinner, like hot dogs for a night of grilling, he will eat the entire package in two days-he'll sneak them whenever he can.
I have a snack for him every day when he gets to my school. As soon as we get home he heads straight to the fridge.

We are starting to buy only healthy foods for snack but he gets in the fridge and finds whatever he can or the pantry. We have thought about getting a lock for the fridge but he would probably ruin the refrigerator trying to get in.

We do realize his medications are contributing to the hunger. However we think he eats also whenever he is the least bit "bored".

Any ideas on what to try?

LittleDudesMom

Sharon,

I can't speak to the contributing factor of the medications since I don't have experience with those - however, you do know that is a side effect. I would have to say that the eating because he's bored does not sound like a contributor at all in this case. Any chance there some obsessive component here?

Sharon

M

ML

Manster is a couple inches taller but weights the same as yours. He began his weight troubles about the time he started SSRIs about 2 years ago. I don't have anything helpful to say, just that I am so there with you and will be looking to see everyone's responses. Hugs, ML

Wiped Out

Staff member
Sharon-I never thought about the obsessive component. It could be because when he does get stuck on "wanting" something he can't get unstuck very easily. I will have to mention that to the psychiatrist.

ML-Elijah's problems with weight started about 3 years ago. We couldn't tie it to a specific medication. The scary part for us lately is it seems he went up the last 15 pounds so quickly. Thanks for the hugs.

DammitJanet

WO...the really scary thing about your son's issues are he is gaining so fast even when on Topamax. Unfortunately, I know that it can happen that way because I regained all my weight even though I am on topamax.

It does sound to me like you have a three pronged problem going on with difficult child. One is medication related, one is boredom and the other is a compulsive hunger. With his cognitive issues, Im not sure if you are going to be able to get this under control fast. I would try the teaching him about good foods and portion control but I have a feeling that will be a battle royale. Maybe keep a ton of sugar free jello cups in the house? Sugar free hard candies? Teach him he has to make his own food from scratch? Including growing it...lol.

klmno

I'm wondering if the typical boys' sudden increase in appetite as puberty roars in could be contributing, too. I would think our difficult child's who have poor impulse control to start with would have a much more difficult time not giving into the urge to keep increasing calorie intake as those big growth spurts start to happen.

M

ML

I agree that there is likely an obsessive component for both E and Manster. But how to do steer this into a different direction?

We started manster taking tennis lessons this week and he seems to be enjoying it and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's something he will stick with. I think the key is to find ways for our kids to find that comfort that food seems to bring them. It's like their feelings get hungry. There are days when I feel like I'm standing guard at the refrigerator and once again feel like I'm trying to stop that oncoming train I talk about.

Know you're not alone.

Sheila

Constantly being hungry can be a symptom ofPrader-Willi syndrome.

I don't know one other thing about PWS except that.lol