Worried sick...

toughlovin

OK my difficult child made it to CA. This is honestly such a crazy situation! So he gets dropped off at this bus stop in a town, where he has no idea where he is. It is not a great place apparently (according to my friends in CA). I have him call my friend who is helping me and he helps him get his bearings and tells him where to go... meanwhile I have this convo with my difficult child via text where he says he is going to have to lie and tell them he is a junkie to get into treatment. That he hasnt used anything but weed in weeks... I mention to him on FB that he certainly sounds like an addict... he says he is just copying some posts from some other website. Well I point out he certainly gives the impression of an addict.... and I am perfectly aware that he is likely also lying to me. I have no idea what to believe.

I tell him to be very honest with my friend who has been there and he will help him get into treatment and then into sober living. My friend tells me that his posts certainly make him sound like an addict and if not that he certainly has mental health problems!!!

Then my son texts me that the bus isnt running today and the place he is trying to go is 12 miles away.... I call him and tlak to him and tell him I dont know what to do... he says his phone is dying and hangs up on me. Koi koi koi!!!!

So we just did locate on his phone, saw the area he is in and at least there are starbucks around. I have to just somehow assume that he will figure something out until tomorrow and at least it is warmer than Denver!! The whole thing is driving me crazy and making me feel incredibly anxious. I know he is sick and not feeling well, who knows what he has eaten or if he has any money.... and I have no idea how bad the neighborhood is.

Thing good thoughts to get me and him through the night.

TL

exhausted

Oh TL,
NOthing ever goes smooth with our kids. He has been down this road and made it. Is your friend too far away to check on him or at least try to call him.
I am praying it all works out and he is in treatment tomorrow. You have done all you can. Try to divert your mind for at least a few hours. Hugs....

Nancy

Praying really hard that tomorrow comes fast and he gets to where he needs to be for help. I find it hard to believe he's only used pot but then as you and I both know we have no idea what the truth is.

How can you track his whereabouts from his phone?

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I'm sorry your difficult child is going through this.

toughlovin

Thank you both... and I am happy to say he just texted me and said he made it!! Not sure where to but I think my friend told him a safer place to stay for the night than where he was. He said he got there by flagging down a cop and telling him if he didnt give him a ride he was going to have to break a law and ride the bus without paying the fare!! Lol....I told him I shouldnt worry about him because obviously he has learned to survive!!! He also called my friend back and is going to talk to him later tonight about tomorrow.

My friend is a good hour a way from him.... but they now have phone contact.

And we put a tracking thing on the phone so we can see where he is. So I know he definitely is where he said he was. We dont use it too much because he doesnt know we put it there and it does alert the phone that we checked somehow.

So I am relieved... and it does sound like he really wants to do what he has to do to get back into a sober living situation and move on..... still dont think he is serious or gets the addiction issues though. My friend points out though that looking at his FB posts you can see there are some mental health issues as well... and he certainly sounds like an addict from reading FB... why on earth would you want everyone to think that if it is not true. That makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

TL

Nancy

TL I am relieved and I'm sure you are too. Perhaps he puts that on fb to stay in contact with his using friends? Does anyone ever comment to him on fb? I'm glad he is in contact with your friend. I am understanding a little more how most of the people who live on the street have mental health issues. If only we had the facilities and means to help them. It's terribly sad.

I hope you can sleep tonight. And I had to smile about him flagging down the cop, he is resourceful.

Calamity Jane

I'm so relieved he made it. Based on what you're saying, it does sound like he absolutely needs help. I hope he cooperates. Rest well tonight!

toughlovin

We have been having a good text convo.... he wants to be able to come back here but does seem to be thinking about really getting his life together. Clearly he will need some support from us to get on his feet....which we are willing to do if he is working and following the rules of the sober house. I told him that is a major issue for him and he said that it was going to be his main focus.... so at least we are talking and he is thinking about his future. We shall see what happens. Hopefully this last several months has really gotten him realizing his way has not been working for him.

TL

busywend

All you can do is stay strong and take care of you. This is so difficult, i can not even fathom it. But, you are doing good!

buddy

I dont think for a second I would be that good at survival! Not sure whether to think it was a good thing or sad that he thought to do that but certainly am glad he is safe!!!!

many many hugs.....

rejectedmom

I'm glad he is in a safe place so you can get some sleep. I was once told by one of the psycologists that treated my son that getting them into treatment is a big step. He also said that often the clients that are most resistant to treatment are the ones that learn that it is exactly what they need once immerced in treatment. I am hoping that is what will happen for your difficult child this time. I know he has walked away in the past but maybe this is it maybe this time he will stay and work at sobriety. -RM

DDD

Phew/Whew! I missed the thread until this morning so now I'm happy for you and glad I won't be worrying about your difficult child all night. LOL! DDD