Worrying about difficult child. Again.

StressedM0mma

Well, we made the switch from Zoloft to Wellbutrin 3 days ago. I am not sure I am liking what I am seeing. She is just so very negative right now. Just really moody. She was really up and happy on the low dose of the Zoloft, but she wanted to try to switch because of the tiredness. I am scared with what I am seeing. I figured that switching from one to the other without missing doses we wouldn't experience this. She just seems angry and negative. I am sitting here freaking out over it of course because it is right before Christmas, and I want her to be happy and have a nice time. So, do I need to just give the Wellbutrin more time to "settle in" or do I call the psychiatrist and just go back to the low dose Zoloft. I am beating myself up right now, because I just should have waited until after Christmas to try and make the switch. Dummy me thought this would be easy. Why would that happen. Nothing around here lately seems to be easy. Ever.

buddy

I must have missed some days, sorry.... when was she up and happy on the zoloft? WAs that just now before the switch?

I would just wait to see, doesn't it take time with the wellbutrin? How long does it take for the zoloft to be out of her system?

Hoping it goes better soon!

Steely

Wellbutrin can make a lot of people overly agitated and anxious - in fact it is not suggested for people with anxiety. I became almost manic like on it --- just whirling inside -- which I have never done on any other anti-depressant.
Why did you switch to begin with, was she not doing well? I would think switching it back to Zoloft just for the holidays is wise, and then you can go from there.

StressedM0mma

Buddy she had to wean down to 75mg. of Zoloft before she could start the Wellbutrin. On 75 she was actually cracking jokes, getting up on time and being her old self for the most part. Since she started the Wellbutrin her sleep schedule is off, and I am seeing an agitated grouchy teen. I thought Wellbutrin took effect pretty quickly. difficult child wanted to try this because of what happened when she was on too much Zoloft. But, I am not liking the agitation, and "debby downer" attitude. She is holed up in her room right now, and doesn't even want her dog. difficult child wants him with her all the time. I think we are going to go back to the Zoloft tomorrow. Do you guys think that will screw her up any more by going back?

StressedM0mma

Thanks Steely for the quick reply. My anxiety level over all of this doesn't help at all of course. I want to be able to swoop in "fix" it all, and I sit and worry when I can't.

buddy

So maybe taht was a little of the problem. I know Q has to be on a much smaller dose of some medications to have them work. so, by chance you found out that it was a better option, but you had this plan that she was on board with and you tried it.... I don tknow how long it takes for welbutrin? What does the insert/info say? But if the other was working then gosh, why mess with that. A happy accident of sorts. (that happened to us with benadryl, he went on it for a nose issue and it turned out to help with some of the anxiety...so the doctor said to stay on it.) may not kick in by Christmas but at least you will have break to get her back on track. Let us know what you decide, very interesting situation.

BusynMember

Keep an eye on her and it's time again to play the tiresome waiting game. AD's take 6-8 weeks to fully kick in. I hated it for me, I hated it for my kids, and I'm sorry you have to go through it, but we are here if you have to vent. I do have a question. This drives me nuts about psychiatrists. Sometimes they dont' make sense to me. If she was doing really well on Zoloft 75 mgs...why switch her at all and not just keep her on Zoloft at the lower dose? Is she on both Zoloft and Wellbutrin now? If so, that's a lot of antidepressant...Wellbutrin can be agitating. My husband tried it to quit smoking. He stopped taking three days later saying it made him a nervous wreck, and he is NOT a nervous person.

DammitJanet

Wellbutrin normally makes a person more awake than sleepy which is probably why they went to that one for your dtr. Isnt she the one who was sleeping a lot?

I do think it is interesting that she became more chatty and less moody on less Zoloft. How long did she stay on the 75 mgs?

StressedM0mma

She is no longer taking the Zoloft, just the Wellbutrin. The psychiatrist switched because my difficult child wanted to move away from the Zoloft. When they had her on too much she was a mess, and I think she blamed it on the Zoloft and couldn't see how good she was doing. Honestly, I am scared out of my mind right now. I was folding laundry, and had to take some into her room. She was crying, and she started screaming at me with this look that I unfortunately recognize. I hate this. We are so done with the Wellbutrin. I wanted to take her to the ER, but my husband said no just leave her alone. It is soo hard for me to leave her alone. I am so scared for her right now. Please pray that this evening goes smoothly, and she falls asleep and I can get the Zoloft into her and we can get the Wellbutrin out of her. I think I am going to sleep on the couch tonight to be sure she is safe. I just hate hate hate nights like this. And, I thought we were so over this. Why was I stupid enought to try and do this over Christmas? Please excuse me while I go beat myself up for awhile. IHATE THIS!!!!!!!!!! She is so worked up/upset that she doesn't even want her dog. She ALWAYS wants her dog. He is always with her snuggling. I think that scares me more than anything. Normally when she is upset, she wants him with her. This time she sent him out and doesn't want him back. One scared Momma.

Steely

Be gentle on yourself....you are only doing what you know is the right thing in the moment. Hug yourself gently, and your daughter even more. It will all be OK.

somerset

What dosage is the Wellbutrin? I'm hesitant to say anything because psychiatric medications can be so hit or miss, and I don't want to advocate anything that could end up making your difficult child worse, but on the other hand I have a lot of personal experience changing medications. I have two things to say: One, if you want to change medications, unless the current medication is making you really sick, the best way to change it is to lower the dose of the old one while gradually raising the dose of the new one. That way, you always have coverage. With Zoloft, I would have said keep going down to 50 while you introduce Wellbutrin at some really low dose like 75mg, just to see if it's tolerated. Secondly, many people with depression and anxiety are on more than one medication. Wellbutrin is great for depression, and can increase your energy, but can make you horribly irritable. They could have just tried adding a little Wellbutrin to the Zoloft to help counter the tiredness. At this point, I'd call the psychiatrist and tell him what's happening, and ask if she could start the Zoloft again at 75 or 50, at least temporarily, while she tries the Wellbutrin at a small dose.

StressedM0mma

Thank you everyone for your concern. I decided to sleep on th ecouch last night just so I good hear her better. She cam down around 11, and said she couldn't sleep. She snuggled one of our other dogs for a few minutes and then apologized for her earlier behavior. She said she was upset, but didn't know why she acted like that. I took her upstairs and sang to her for awhile and she fell asleep. So over all of this.
I hope you all have a great Christmas!!