Worst night ever!!

4cooper

I feel like crying this morning because I am so, so, so tired and annoyed. Cooper was up all night off and on. At first he cried his legs hurt, then he was thirsty, then his legs again...over and over. He woke up like 15 times to come get in my bed, I took him back to bed, he comes back. Last night was his first dose of clonidine. Maybe this wont last? Short term complication from the drug is what i'm hoping.

buddy

I've never heard of a drug reaction like that but there are always individual and rare things. I wonder if he is having growing pains? My parents had to stay up with me night after night they were so awful. Did you offer advil? I'm sorry you were up so much. I hope you can nap too.

slsh

member since 1999
I would check with- prescribing dr. Clonidine knocked my kid completely out - sounds like possibly Cooper is having a paradoxical reaction (getting completely revved up on a medication that should be doing the opposite).

4cooper

Sigh, I didn't even think about doing any of that. I was just focused soley on going to sleep myself. I did talk to the dr this morning who also says this is rare, but told me to give him half a pill until thursday and let's see what happens. I just know I feel nonfunctional today and he seems very well rested..in fact he's behaved all morning thus far.

R

remclick

Clonidine put my child to sleep too. I do have a daughter that can't go back to sleep with leg pain ("growing pains") until we give her ibuprofen. I hope you can figure something out quickly. It is very hard to be up that many times during the night.

keista

I'm with slsh. As far as I know it's also supposed to have an instant like effect - no waiting for a build up.

Call psychiatrist, try one more night, offer difficult child something to ease the pain.

DD2 always has strange aches and pains. The heating pad is her best friend. Makes so many things feel so much better.

T

TeDo

Clonidine knocked difficult child 1 out as well. Since the psychiatrist (I hope it's a psychiatrist) said to cut it in half, I would try that but have Ibuprofen/Advil ready to go just in case. It could just be a coincidence but it could also be a paradoxical reaction (difficult child 1 has those too).

Are you able to get a nap in? I hope you are at least able to find some quiet time to regenerate. (((HUGS)))

JJJ

Have you tried co-sleeping? At that age it was the only way any of us got any sleep with Tigger's insomnia.

Is it possible that restless leg syndrome could be a side effect? Or maybe something he suffers from? I had it when I was a teenager and it would keep me up at night.

What worked for me was some ibuprofen and hot milk. The hot milk was probably a placebo but i still do it when I get it on the rare occasion now.

Hope you find an answer quickly and get the rest you need. It's hard to be a good, functioning parent on little sleep.

InsaneCdn

What worked for me was some ibuprofen and hot milk. The hot milk was probably a placebo but i still do it when I get it on the rare occasion now.
It's NOT a placebo... the calcium and other minerals in milk, help with leg cramps.

Good point, though... maybe it's time to get some medical help for sleep issues... what is the cause? (and therefore, what can be adjusted...)

Something is causing the lack of sleep. And lack of sleep is a major problem, no matter what other issues or challenges you have.