Would appreciate your thoughts on psychiatrists feedback....

lovelyboy

Ok so yesterday was a big day for me because I had plenty of distressing matters that I discussed with psychiatrist regarding difficult child....whats your thoughts on her feedback?

1. I was worried about him telling me that he wants to cut himself....during a meltdown. She said the reason behind this is because he struggles to connect and express his emotions he wants to SEE and feel it....its more about literal and visual and less about depression.....

2. I was worried about him hurting us....scratching, kicking exct. She said its because he feels disconnected to his world around him and mind blindness that he wants to express his feelings with behaviour....like hurting. He struggles to connect with the people oround him feelings and reactions......

3. I was worried about hipersexual behaviour and his obsession with blood and grusome movies and games. She said its part of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and that is inherent to Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)......

4. I wanted to know if he would actually cut himself? She said yes, some kiddos on spectrum do cut and hurt themselves, we need to put away sharp objects! OMW

5. I asked about him feeling like a sceleton....not having a brain and to much energy. She said its almost like a psichotic experience....but not really....depersonalization....we might use Risperdal.....but last time Risperdal made him very aggressive!

6. I was worried that he might not have Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) but Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD).......She said not totally...he might also have Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD), but the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) is still there because with pure Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) he would not have mind blindness and the rest.

7. I wanted a full neuro evaluation and EEG, because I think he might have TLE. She said ok, but she knows more than half of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids do develope epilepsy anyway....we will check for it, but is worried that bringing in another new person in the team might be to stressfull.....she upped his medications and said maybe we can do the full neuro assessment in 6 months time.

8. I was worried about Skisophrenia, Bipolar or antisocial personality disorder. She said no....all of the above, just confirmed her Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) diagnosis!

9. I said I dont like using physical restrain. She said ok...try SI strategies rather....

She also said something about...."if we doesnt exist....he doesnt exist", but I cant exactly remember the context....something to do with hurting himself, our reactions.....cant remember.....

Plan of action......carry on with SSRI...increase dosage to try and lower Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and anxiety and later maybe try some kind of anti psychotic to just put some " glue" in his " seems"......Oh and carry on with ST, maybe Occupational Therapist (OT)....I thought some playtherapy might help him with expression of feelings, but again she is worried for developing resistance in him against to much therapy.....I might do some coulages and painting with him?

InsaneCdn

I was worried that he might not have Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) but Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD).......She said not totally...he might also have Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD), but the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) is still there because with pure Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) he would not have mind blindness and the rest.
First, I like it when psychiatrists are not "X or Y" mindset... she's thinking, a bit openminded, which is better than some.

difficult child isn't adopted, is he? (sig doesn't say)
Or for other reasons suffered major trauma (neglect, abuse) during the first couple of years? (can even be things like being a premie or a sick baby, and not having opportunity to form secure attachments...)
Because unless it goes back that far, it likely isn't Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD).
MORE likely would be "insecure attachment".
Plug that phrase into this boards search, and you'll find one of Buddy's good threads on the topic.

BusynMember

She is doing what a lot of psychiatrists or psychologists do. She is trying to figure out why he does everything he does and s he may be right and she may not be right. Unfortunately, psychiatry isn't an exact science. As long as she is addressing his medical issues, I wouldn't worry too much. She seems to be willing to do what she has to do in order to help him or try to help him. Many Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids do very poorly in therapy because they don't really "connect" to the therapist and don't talk much. But that is a personal decision for you to make.

She sounds A-ok to me and I'm sort of picky, having seen so many psychiatrists myself :)

T

TeDo

I agree with Insane and MWM. She sounds like all doors in her mind are open. She seems to know her stuff about what behaviors are "normal" for different types of diagnosis's and is keeping them in perspective. There's also the fact that she actually LISTENED to you. THAT is hard to come by many times (at least it is in our little neck of the woods).

susiestar

Roll With It
She sounds like a total keeper to me. I like docs who think, and who don't just jump on the wagon of every passing thought but are willing to wait a little while and see if something is needed. I wouldn't put off an eeg, that would be my one real big problem. Not sure about those with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) developing epilepsy - I have never heard this but haven't seen a psychiatrist for Wiz in years.

Mostly I agree with the others, but I think ALL our kids should have EEGs. Esp if the docs are considering stims - absence epilepsy can look like inattentive adhd and stims make the seizures worse. If I hadn't insisted on eeg before medications, Jess would have been really messed up - the docs were a thousand percent (direct quote) sure it was adhd and not epilepsy but they very condescendingly gave us the neuro referral because I was totally immovable and intractable (they also offered me medications to amke me "more reasonable as a parent" - gag). Then they were all shocked and they didn't know epilepsy could look like adhd. whatever.

Your psychiatrist is not just making a diagnosis and ignoring what doesn't fit that diagnosis. She is thinking, considering, and seems to have a real grasp of what is going on in his mind. This is GOOD.

H

HaoZi

She's seems like a keeper to me. I think the skeleton thing has a lot more possible interpretations, but otherwise (without being in your trenches) I think she's got a good grasp of our kids.

TerryJ2

You certainly covered a lot of ground!
People on this board suggested Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) to me, too. There may be some component but I agree, it's mostly the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD).
My son, too, has shown the signs of other things--schizoaffective disorder, antisocial personality disorder--but those are symptoms that pass. It's the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) that is underlying. You'll learn as he grows up. For example, is his sexual behavior connected with-an object, such as clothing or a tv show, or does he act out on people? Since most Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids are a bit disconnected to others (as you have observed with-your own son) they usually fixate on an object.
Nothing is 100% but you will begin to see trends and patterns.
I've never heard of "half of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids develop seizures anyway." Where did that statistic come from?