Would it be wrong to do some of difficult child's homework for him?

Californiablonde

So difficult child 2's big history assignment is due tomorrow. He already finished the writing part, which was A LOT. difficult child really struggled with it because writing is not his thing. Luckily his teacher pulled in a RSP teacher and had her help him with most of it at school. Now comes the typing part, consisting of several pages and a lot of paragraphs. When I told difficult child he would need to type it out at home, he was shocked. His response was, "Seriously, that WHOLE thing?" I told him yup, unfortunatley, that is the assignment. I wanted him to break it up over several days, but he procrastinated as usual and now he's stuck doing the whole thing tonight. Would it be terribly wrong of me to type up some of it for him? I won't do it all, but he does have a point. It is a lot of work, and he just learned how to type this year. I don't know how long it is going to take him and I don't want any meltdowns from him. It would make it easier on both of us if I helped him out a lil bit. Would that be considered cheating or no?

InsaneCdn

Well, in MY books? That's no different than having a scribe. And THAT is a pretty standard accommodation... so, whether he gets that at school or not, it's something I did for years. (my difficult child now has these accommodations)

HE has done the research. If you do the bulk of the typing and he does the editing, cross-checking etc, to me, THAT is fair.

keista

So he actually learned proper keyboard skills in school this year? If so, then I see this mandatory typing up as part of skills testing. In that case, yes, it's considered cheating. Would I do it anyway? Depends on how accommodating the teacher is and how much it would affect his grade (passing vs failing).

Tonight I'm actually directing son to a literary cheat. The last novel for the school year and he has been reading it. Unfortunately he's slow reading novels and won't be finishing it (60 pages short on a 300 page book). Directing him to sparks notes so he gets the full concept of the story and hopefully can get through the final (stupid that the final 20% of grade is all on one book!) Anyway, yes, it's cheating, but he put forth a valiant effort so I'm OK with it.

donna723

I would NOT do it for him! No way! You said he's learned to type this year so obviously he's capable of doing it himself.

He should have done a little at a time but instead he put it off and procrastinated and now he's on deadline and has this huge job in front of him. Maybe a long night of working on it is what it will take so he sees what happens when you procrastinate. If you do it for him, all he will learn is that it's OK, he doesn't need to make the effort, because someone else will always come along to bail him out and do it for him!

allhaileris

Crumbling Family Rock
Is typing part of the grade or just so the teacher can read it? I'd guess it's the latter, and if so, go ahead and type it exactly how it's written.

I always make a note on daughter's homework if we've kind of done something for her or helped too much, so the teacher knows. I'd probably type it out because I can type quickly, but it would be hard to not correct things as I go along.

InsaneCdn

I'd probably type it out because I can type quickly, but it would be hard to not correct things as I go along.
Allh... I think this is the key. If you're the scribe, you cannot be the editor. If it is typed in exactly as on the notes and the kid does the editing... then it is still their thought processes, their work.

helpangel

Guilty I've done it I think most parents have at some time; whether it was consulting with your engineering friends to be able to drop an egg from 8 ft without breaking or making a pinewood derby car go faster.

I think my son got more out of watching movie animal farm and us discussing the cliff notes while he wrote the report then if he had just read the book. I know I got more out of it then I did the first time when I was worried about a grade.

Though you said he is in typing class this year and typing was part of the assignment... in that case I would call the teacher and find out if they want it late but done 100% by him or if want him to type for 10 minutes then set timer for 10 minutes while you fix what he typed then type some more of it and keep switching off so he gets typing practice and isn't off doing something else while you type his report for him. It will help him learn proof reading as you show him the corrections you make to what he types. Main thing he knows you care and will help but not just do it for him.

Californiablonde

I'm not sure if typing is part of the grade. I mean, it must be typed, but I think the grade mostly depends on the content. They are not being graded on their typing skills. The assignment is for history class. Turning it in late is not an option. His teacher already sent all of us parents an email, explicitly stating that late work will not be accepted, since the kids have had quite some time to complete the assignment. I guess I will play it by ear tonight. I won't be staying up late with him, that's for sure. My night time pills have to be taken at no later than 6:30, and they usually make me fall asleep within a couple of hours. We are going to need to get started on it right after dinner. Hopefully it's not as hard as it looks.

TerryJ2

I have typed for my difficult child but he has to read aloud whatever I am supposed to type. Even if he has handwritten it already, he had to read it aloud. I want him standing there next to me, to spend the same amt of time on the project that I am spending. No way am I going to type while he's gaming.
Sometimes, he gets into it and wants to change the paragraphs and add or subtract graphics and take over the keyboard and then I feel like it's a win-win situation. :)

donna723

I don't think I would be physically capable of typing someone else's work and NOT correcting any mistakes I find as I go!

Is typing the report a problem for him only because he put it off for so long and didn't get an early start on it? I guess I am just "old school" but I still would not do it for him! What happens when you put it all off is that you either end up burning the midnight oil to get it all done or you will get a lower grade on your work. Kids need to learn this sooner or later. Natural consequences!

Californiablonde

I would like to add that the assignment, in my opinion, is way too long and hard for a fifth grader. Even if difficult child were a easy child it would be a difficult. I am so not looking forward to going home tonight. Thank goodness it will all be over tomorrow.

InsaneCdn

Donna - I don't know the dxes of your difficult child(s), but... I have one who "can" do all sorts of things, but "can't" put it all together with sustained effort... and very valid reasons for this. All the "logical consequences" in the world were only driving my difficult child to insanity. When assessing... have to take into account the whole situation... including whether or not the size of the assignment is reasonable given difficult child's abilities.

TerryJ2

Donna, spellcheck does it for you, lol!

Usually, fifth graders don't have to type more than two pps, Califblonde. Maybe this was one of those assignments where he was supposed to put together old assigments, and then add a conclusion? I remember the first time I saved one of difficult child's papers to my hard drive and he was really angry. He thought I was nosy or something. Then, at the end of the yr when he had to write something similar, and add the new info, voila! The old paper was still there, waiting for editing. And the teacher said that was fine. :)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Even as a 7th grader Jett has only had one assignment that had to be typed, and it was all of 4 paragraphs. And I helped him because... As much as he has been around computers, the kid only uses the hunt and peck method.

I'd type most of it. If he did the real work...

TerryJ2

Oh, by the way, Califb, how do you prevent him from screaming at you while you're typing? Ex." "NO, the teacher says not to do it that way! You can't DO THAT!" And then you have to give up and just let him type all night ...

InsaneCdn

Terry? I can type REAL fast (I make a living off my keyboard...) so difficult child learned really early... hand me the papers and LEAVE. Come back in 30-45 minutes, and I'll hand you a stack to edit. Its the ONLY way we could make it work... NOBODY works well with somebody else breathing down their neck.