Would you bake a collard green cake??

DDD

Doesn't that sound like Dr. Seuss? :surprise:

There is a recipe in todays paper that allegedly is a prize winner. I can't
quite imagine?? Can you?? DDD

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
and what would ever possess you to try that in the first place????

(Oh, yeah, this dark chocolate triple fudge cream layer cake would really be enhanced by a big ol' hunk of roughage? NOT.)

Abbey

Spork Queen
OMG. Collard greens and liver are fighting for the rank of the most nastiest stuff on earth. Now...with cake? NO WAY.

I remember vividly when husband and I first met and he invited me and my kids to dinner. Now, he had been a Southern boy longer than me and didn't really know us all that well. He pulls out this MASSIVE pot of straight up collard greens. Never ate them, but was brought up to eat what is in front of you. They were the most nasty tasting things I've ever tasted. I'm looking at my kids...they're looking at me. I slide a secret napkin for them to place them in. Who eats that stuff?

And...with CAKE???

So, no...I would not make that cake. I'd probably puke just looking at it.

Abbey

trinityroyal

Another really stupid food question from ol' Trinity here...
What are Collard Greens?

I've heard them mentioned before, but haven't the foggiest clue what they are.
I'm gathering some sort of leafy green vegetable something based on comments...but exactly WHAT?

donna723

Well, people make carrot cake, and there are all kinds of recipes that hide zucchini(?) in practically everything ... but collard greens takes it just a little too far! I keep picturing a white cake with green slimy stringy things running through it! Bleeeech!

A lot of people here eat turnip greens ... but I'm not one of them!

Last edited:

everywoman

Collards are a staple in my neck of the woods. But, they have to be cooked right, with the right seasonings. And you don't want to smell them 'til they're done. But a big plate of collards, some BBQ pork, and cornbread, and I am a happy camper. But in a cake???
I don't know about that!

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
DDD that Dr Suess thing was the first thing I thought (but that tends to be a way my mind goes anyway). After that and I opened this I don't think I can make a nasty sound that equals the extent of ewwwwwwww. Collard greens remind me of spinach and that is just nasty stuff too. Nope not in a cake, not while awake. Could not, would not eat them anywhere.

beth

KTMom91

I would not eat that here or there...I would not eat that anywhere. Aren't they really greasy, too, where you can see the puddles of oil on them? I went to a soul food restaurant once...best fried chicken I ever had in my life, but those green things...nope, couldn't do it. Didn't know if they were supposed to be that greasy, but wasn't willing to chance it.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Only the Southerns here will understand this statement -

But if I'm having Collard Green cake? I want a side of fatback. lol

It HAS to taste like zucchini bread (a favorite of mine)

And maybe topped with some preserves like peach preserve or raspberry :tongue:

DDD

LOL! I love to cook but I don't bake.

If I DID bake
I would bake a cake
And add the greens
To feed the fiends.

Some things in life are "acquired tastes". Among them :D are coffee, scotch, rutabagas and greens. It helps if you're Southern. DDD

Rhubarb...NO way! :sick:

ctmom05

I don't imagine that collard green cake would be a whole lot different than zucchini bread, which many of us have baked, or eaten and liked.

DammitJanet

Well I love collards but only if Tony makes them. He makes the absolutely best collards. LOL.

Here is his recipe if anyone wants to try them. They are so yummy you wont be able to resist them.

Depending on how many you are feeding...a head or two of fresh collards cleaned and cut removing the stems.

Steam them until they are tender.

Fry some mild sausage until crumbly.

Add sausage to drained collards and cook a little bit more. Serve with jiffy cornbread and dashes of hot pepper vinegar.

Oh yum yum yum. Makes me hungry just thinking about it...lol.

BooShyGma

Sweet Bee
Don't knock it if you have not tried it. I made a collard green cake and it was delicious. It was about 3 years ago. Friends and relatives wants me to make another one. I am on line now looking for the recipe because I misplaced mine. It was a Dixie Classic Fair recipe and it won first prize. It was anything but greasy. You use frozen collard greens.

scent of cedar

Ew.

Collard greens.

Every Thanksgiving since we have been down South for that holiday, we have been treated to collard greens, authentic Southern cornbread cooked in a cast iron skillet, and the best sweet potatoes and stuffing I've ever had. Southern cooks are amazing ~ but I just can't handle those collard greens. Too metallic or something.

I still don't understand the love of grits either, but I get a huge kick out of experiencing all the different ways we all cook, and all the things we love to eat and drink.

Bourbon on ice is the drink of choice, here. Brandy Manhattan, up north.

Southerners seem more laid back and friendlier too, than people up North.

Maybe something to do with all that ice we go through, down here?

:O)

I have no idea what a collard green is...I'm guessing lettuce or spinach based on the picture. I do love lettuce and spinach.... and with enough icing? Yeah I would eat it. WTH is fatback though? Is that like lard or something?
Southerners are much friendlier than northerners. Unless you're talking about Canada. They are very friendly up there. They are so slow though. I always want to honk my horn and give everyone the finger...and curse at them, lol. ( JK Trinity! ) I'm from New Jersey, my father in law says it takes 2 years of living there to stop feeling like that everywhere you go, he lives in Nova Scotia.

InsaneCdn

my father in law says it takes 2 years of living there to stop feeling like that everywhere you go, he lives in Nova Scotia
THAT would explain this:
They are so slow though. I always want to honk my horn

Canada is more like the USA than we will EVER admit, but one thing we DO admit to is a definite East-West split... We (Western Canada) have more in common with people from Texas and Wyoming and Montana, than we do with people from "the East"...
And yes, "we" go at a different speed than "they" do, too.

svengandhi

My HS home Easy Child teacher was from the Deep South; my HS was in the South Bronx. She decided that it would be a great idea to have southern food week in the school cafeteria and I was the school newspaper reporter assigned to dine and comment on the food. The chicken was phenomenal and, to this day, southern fried chicken is one of my major weaknesses. The sweet potatoes and corn bread were great, the grits were tolerable but not something I'd voluntarily eat ever again but the collard greens made me puke. When they had the food week again the next year, the collard greens were off the menu.