Would you go?

witzend

This Michael Jackson memorial thing is just mind-boggling to me. It will be a madhouse. I'm terrified of being in large crowds as I don't move well and I worry about being knocked down and really hurting myself.

But, given that it's "free", and if you were physically able and had a ticket, would you go? I realize it's going to be "the thing" to be able to say you went. Maybe I'm just getting old and can't appreciate fanaticism anymore, but there is no way I'd want to get into that mob scene.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I won't even be watching it on television.

The man was gifted. Extremely talented.

And extremely weird.

tiredmommy

I think, if I were a big fan, I'd consider watching it in the privacy of my own home. Maybe with other big fans I know? But no, you couldn't pay me enough to be in downtown LA tomorrow.

Fran

Former desparate mom
I'd rather watch the Superbowl from home and it isn't nearly as crazy as this is going to be. No way would I go.
Being part of a mob isn't for me. Besides what's the point?

Witz, I move fine and would be concerned about being knocked over, pinned against a wall or gate or injured. I keep thinking of those soccer games where there was no crowd control and how many people got trampled.

muttmeister

I wasn't a huge fan to begin with but if I had a ticket? I'd be there with bells on.
There are a lot of things (sporting events, concerts, etc.) that you SEE better at home and it is lots less hassle but when I get a ticket I go anyway just for the experience of being there. I'd go in a heartbeat.

lizanne2

As it happens, my brother who is not a fan actually got tickets....... put his name in the lottery 'just for fun'....now he has to go! Should be interesting!

Lothlorien

This sort of thing is not for me. I don't go to NYC for New Years or T-giving day parade, though it's an easy ride for us. Big crowds just annoy me. Besides, I've not really been a big fan of his, since the early 80's.

DammitJanet

I guess I am weird. I would go if I lived in that area and could get tickets. Just to be able to say I was there. I wish I had my ticket stubs from when I went to his concert back in the 70s. Little did I know he would be so big.

Loth....my dream is to go to Times Square for NYE. Also before I die I want to see the 4th over the Hudson. I dont think I will get to Times Square because of my physical problems though but the Hudson seems more doable to me. Maybe because it is in the summer.

I would give anything to go to a Super Bowl too. There are just some events that I think are so momentous that I would overcome my anxiety to go to.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Nope. I'm not even watching the news coverage.

Even if it weren't for his "issues" I wouldn't want to go. Even if I were a huge fan, I wouldn't feel it my place to be there.

in my opinion a funeral is a private thing for friends and family.........not meant to be a media circus.

goldenguru

in my opinion a funeral is a private thing for friends and family.........not meant to be a media circus.

Well said Daisylover. I personally don't get the hype. He was a gifted singer- I'll give him that.

But, he most probably was also guilty of pedophilia. What does this madness say about our culture? Couldn't we idolize someone with real character? Are we that hung up on our entertainment?

Something about this whole ridiculous siltation just doesn't sit well with me .

Andy

I am so glad that I am not even close to being near there. If I had to go into work in that area, I am sure I would refuse and stay home.

I was thinking today that with so many people who want to go and not even close to enough room for them all, I know there will be many situations of people trying to sneak in. They should have set up an outdoor auditorium in the middle of nowhere (like the dessert) and let people pour in from where ever leaving the mess away from those who will have to deal with it. It will be pick pocketer's heaven. People with MJ memorabilia will be vending their wares - It will be a media circus! Many many many people will be getting hurt physically and financially.

I noticed a plea from the city to have MJ's family or estate help pay for the city's cost of this funeral (security, crowd control, ect). I doubt if they will and that will be so unfair.

It will be chaos with thousands of fans who do not have a "ticket" trying to find a way in anyway.

crazymama30

I am with mwm, I would sell the ticket for as much as I could. I sure could use the money more than I could use seeing the performances.

Lothlorien

Janet, I've been to the fireworks in Red Bank, NJ. It's the same fireworks company as the Macy's on the Hudson. It's great, but the traffic is horrendous. It took us four hours to get home, which was normally only a 15 minute drive. Did I mention I had traffic even worse than big crowds?

If you can do the fourth in the city, it would probably be better than freezing your tush off in Times Square. There have been years where the wind chill was 15 below. There's no way I could do that. Plus, since 9/11 there are all these new rules that I don't quite understand, but it almost seems that you would need a catheter to get a good spot and stay in your spot.

busywend

No thank you. If I were to mourn the passing of the man, it would be privately and I agree it should be for family and friends only. I can mourn the passing of a gifted performer in my own way. If I choose to.

svengandhi

I'll be at a memorial service for my husband's aunt tomorrow. She is someone who is deserving of my individual respect and honor. I enjoyed Michael Jackson's music and as a contemporary of his, recall his rise and fall and would not dream of being anywhere near the memorial even if I lived closer than a few thousand miles away!

susiestar

Roll With It
You can't pay me enough to go there. Even given that the boy who claimed MJ molested him now recants, saying his dad forced him to say it. He still did very strange things around children, and I always thought he was bizarre beyond extreme.

I HATE big crowds, am becoming almost phobic of them as I get older.

No. Way. On. Earth.

Not me.

But I hope those who go have a safe and enjoyable time. He was very gifted. Just too scary weird for me.

witzend

I would sell the ticket, as well. And I think it is a bunch of hype.

I swear to goodness I don't know whether he molested anyone. But his statements about "Cuddling and sleeping with children is the most natural and loving thing you can do. It's not sexual." are too much. It doesn't matter if it's not sexual. It's not appropriate. Kids should be kids. Parents should love them. Taking them to a rich person's house to be cuddled doesn't make them loved, it makes them a pawn.