Would you go?

Star*

call 911........call 911
No I would not go.

I think this is a bigger CIRCUS than his life was. Not an HONORABLE way to HONOR someone that you supposedly are MOURNING.

It misses the point completely. Last night as I'm changing channels - I see people jumping UP AND DOWN CHEERING and high 5ing each other that they GOT TICKETS - to what? To go see this thing - because HE is DEAD?

I'll miss his genius - His "so called fans" are not giving him any dignity - even in death. Shameful behavior is all I saw. This is a MEMORIAL service people - I didn't see one ounce of decorum - not one.

People who truly want to honor him - will be at his funeral - not at this dog and pony show. And I wouldn't be surprised if they bring a dog and pony in.

WHat a disgrace and way to cash in on the man ONE LAST TIME. As far as the people who AGREED to "PERFORM" as his funeral? Sorry - shameful display of public "LOOK AT ME" not an honorable venue. Had I been one of them I would have declined. No class. You don't get ANNOUNCED to "PERFORM LIVE" and A DEAD MANS "thing" -

Just crass and tasteless. :mad:

KTMom91

There is no way. I'm not a fan, and while I don't mind crowds, I wouldn't cross the street to see anything Michael Jackson.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I would not go for several reasons, partly because of the madhouse, partly because of the media frenzy, but mostly because I don't feel I have a "right" to go...this man, despite his issues, was a father, a son, a brother, an uncle, and a friend. Those are the people who need to be there. Not me.

I don't think we'll ever know the truth about him in life or death. What he did or didn't do; but regardless...he was obviously a very talented man and his very existence turned into a freak show...and I feel so sorry for those children...no matter what, I imagine they loved the man that they called dad...and their worlds have just been turned upside down.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
NO, I think his family - for once - should have protected his and their privacy by making it a very non-public scene money maker. I think it's disgusting the way his death and funeral is being exploited - no matter what he did or didn't do, it's not our place to judge based on anything the media says. I think the whole affair should be boycotted.

klmno

Another weirdo here but for different reasons. I wouldn't attend this event because I was not a major fan of his, but I personally see nothing wrong with having it since they didn't sell tickets and because he was an entertainer that enjoyed public popularity. I'm assuming that the family was in agreement with a public memorial or they wouldn't be there. They are having a separate, additional private ceremony for family and close friends and this seems typical to me for many well-known entertainers and public figures. If it was Neil Diamond and this happened, I would go if I could. And, I do think that if they find a dr was rx'ing and administering a drip of anesthia to MJ (or anyone for that matter) for insomnia, they should be arrested and do time.

Probably what makes me weirdest though (LOL!) is that alsthough I think it is inappropriate and definitely weird for a grown man to let a child sleep in his bedroom, unless it's their own child who's sick or something, my gut instinct is that he didn't do any sexual touching or activity with the kid. I honetsly believe that MJ acted more like someone who had been accused falslely than someone who was a guilty pedophile/sexual molester. I could be completely wrong though. And my "instinct" might just be because I was molested as a child and neither person who attempted it with me would ever have acted like MJ when/if publicly accused, so maybe I just assume that about too many people.

Janet, I took difficult child to Wash Difficult Child over the 4th of July once. The parade during the day was awesome and great for kids, although it was very hot and crowded. The fireworks were a little disappointing but they were good- I just expected more at the capitol. It was a couple of years after 911 so I think air control might have put a damper on them. I bring this up because I thought this might be doable for you and your grandbabies with Jamie being so close to Difficult Child.

Last edited:

mstang67chic

Going Green
difficult child and I were at McD's this afternoon after an appointment. They have a tv in there and of course it was broadcasting the memorial. Or at least what I THOUGHT was a memorial service. Turned out this whole thing was one of the FUNERAL'S!!! The casket was there, people gave eulogies...the whole bit. I'm sorry but it's one thing to do a public MEMORIAL but to do a public FUNERAL? That just goes way beyond respectful and well into tacky. Whatever he did or didn't do in his life....the man has had no privacy since he was in diapers basically. What could possibly posess people to hold a PUBLIC FUNERAL? I know his family is a "show business" familly and I know they are hurting but....to me....this was one HUGE bad idea.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I live about 50 miles from where it all happened earlier today. No, I would not even consider going. I understand that the intent is to provide an outlet for the public to mourn him. But what I heard on the radio being broadcast today, the live simulcast, sounded more like a grandstanding opportunity for the local politicians and black religious leaders. The personal stories from his friends and family who knew him were touching. But the rest of the "me too" people who were there to speak made my stomach turn. They are using the spotlight of this sad moment to call attention to themselves, using him as a sort of freakish black martyr to rally their various race-related causes. A totally inappropriate venue for that, and I think it cheapened the whole situation.

I thought the funeral ceremony this morning was to also be his interment or burial. And when I saw the pictures of the casket at the memorial, I thought for sure it had to be empty. But then I heard accounts that he was still in the casket. Not the way I would have done things, but then his crazy show-biz life and family do things much differently than the rest of us, don't they?

I understand he had a big impact on the entertainment world. But there are so many, many people who have passed in recent years that had a more important impact on our lives and they certainly did not get the attention this is getting. I think it just underscores this country's obsession with fame.

I pray for those children of his. I hope they end up in a stable family environment.

Well by the timeyou get this email it will be over anyway - so my answer to that would be probably no - even if I lived near where it was - I wouldnt go - you would never get out of there after it was over - plus someone could come and shoot everyone!!!!!!!! You never know in big crowds what kind of nuts you will find - especially in that one.

Lothlorien

I watched it on tv. I thought it was tastefully done, for what it was. Brooke Shields just made me lose it, though. I was fine watching it until then. AND THEN when little Paris broke down up there, it was just too much.

I was fairly annoyed at all the coverage of the cars driving down the highway. I went to turn on the news and every channel was focused on the hearse and all the cars. Traffic must have been a complete nightmare around there, which apparently is pretty bad to begin with, but to close off entire highways.....och!