Would you medicate a 4 year old?

Marguerite

She's female, and I understand that the rule book on females with Asperger's is currently being rewritten.

Oh, crikey, she sounds like easy child 2/difficult child 2! My genius child, my baby that I HAD to get accelerated into school because she was so amazingly bright. She was only two weeks too young so we forced the issue and got her into school, hoping that would solve the problem of her believing she knew everything.

What helped, for easy child 2/difficult child 2 and especially for easy child - keeping her stimulated, with plenty to do. The teachers would keep throwing more work at each of them and were still scratching their heads wondering how to stop them from being bored.

The problems with easy child 2/difficult child 2 began a few years later, when we noticed that she would insist on doing things her own way to extremes, even flouting authority to do so. Often she really DID know better and it is hard to correct a kid who is right. But she was increasingly pedantic, didactic and condescending with it. Her best friends were generally several years older and despite being accelerated, were still a grade or two ahead.
easy child was also almost accelerated, also chose friends from a grade ahead. However, she didn't suddenly develop problems with information not being laid down - sudden onset in easy child 2/difficult child 2 in Year 4 or 5, it took us until Grade 6 to get it diagnosed as ADD.

easy child 2/difficult child 2 makes good eye contact except with people she doesn't know. And with those, she makes the effort, knowing it's not something she does naturally.

It's possible you may just have an exceptionally bright child on your hands. Or maybe an ADHD kid with possibly some Aspie traits. Or more.

Even a detailed evaluation may not give you all the answers now; you need to keep an open mind on things as she gets older, but from our experience, you work with the problems that are troubling you, as they trouble you. In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The fine motor skill issues - check to see if her joints are hypermobile. If they are, it's best to know NOW so you can put measure in place to help her and protect her joints. As it is, she is likely to be arthritic by the time she is 20, if she's hypermobile. Again, this is at least partly connected to some forms of high-functioning autism, as I'm told. I'm still trying to find out more about this - but some Asperger's, hyperlexia, high-functioning autistics and 'missed' Aspies seem to also have hypermobility. Over and over, I find this.

easy child 2/difficult child 2 is an amazing drawer, has been doing intricate fine detailed drawings since she was 2 years old. But the boys - neither of them can draw well. difficult child 3 still draws stick figures, at 14. However, he does have very clever fingers when it comes to electrical wiring and computers.

The melodrama, the strong will, the intense activity, the apparently high intelligence - you will benefit from trying "The Explosive Child" by Ross Greene. Even if she's not explosive at the moment, there will be aspects to her behaviour and her upbringing that will drive you bananas if you don't get a handle on them fast. But if you do, you will find it helps her blossom as an individual with her own strong ideas but still able to be a team player. There is some discussion on this book in Early Childhood, including how to adapt it to younger children. It's been really helpful for us - something we found with the "smart-alec brats" as I fondly called my bright kids - they have an intense sense of injustice and will argue with you about discipline until you are exhausted.

I hope you are just dealing with an intelligent child. You still need help and support, but the joys are also there, if you can give her the help she needs and the knowledge she will be craving. Providing an enriched environment is the first and best thing to do.

Marg

witzend

What diagnosis's do you have, and what have you already tried medically/behaviorally/psycholigically, recommended by a therapist or psychiatrist?

Last edited:

susiestar

Roll With It
I totally agree with a full evaluation by a developmental pediatrician, neuropsychologist, or multidisciplinary team.

I ALSO STRONGLY think that a private Occupational Therapy evaluation is needed. Things like reading while standing on her head are a red flag that she has sensory issues that can be addressed. With my youngest, we addressed the sensory issues (there were a LOT of them) and many of the other issues went away. He is pretty much a normal kid, jsut with some sensory problems.

I really really think you need to get the pediatrician to give you a referral to a private Occupational Therapist (OT). Often you can get in there faster than you can get in to a neuropsychologist or developmental pediatrician or whatever. You really NEED both types of evaluations. Get the referrals, get the appointments and see what they say.

DammitJanet

Well both my boys were medicated at 4.

I have one that is pure, unadulterated ADHD who took ritalin for years and it worked like a charm. He was never a behavior problem outside of normal boy behaviors. He did do some of the exasperating stuff that come from being hyper and not thinking things through real hard...but he never acted out or raged. He was overall...a good kid. I have never regretted medicating him and he says the same thing. He is doing very well for himself now...married, baby girl, owns his own home, good job. I dont think he would be there if we hadnt medicated him through school.

Nancy423

do I have to be the mom?
I medicated daughter early but it turned out that none of the ADHD medications made a difference and her problem wasn't solved. We just recently finished up a program that did brain stimulation exercises. It was a program to help ADHD and other issues.

Just another alternative....literally.

I agree to get a full evaluation before making up your mind. You never know what you'll find out

DDD

Gifted children often present with symptoms of ADHD. My easy child/difficult child was put on medications at 6 because he couldn't stay focused. When the gifted testing was done, however, the experts in that field felt confident that he
was not in need of ADHD medications so much as he was in need of appropriate
teaching methods etc. It's hard sifting through it all, I know.

When the school probided quality gifted instructors (never more than five
hours a week, by the way and in high school only one hour a week where the gifted kids ate lunch together and were "able to discuss their difficulties"
:tongue:...stupid school board!) his attention was riveted and those teachers
did not find active learning a problem! Weird. DDD